Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 12:44 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'm not surprised that it's not on the list. Is expensive, not (mainstream) trendy and large contingents of the country look down on it in order to keep up their own unjustified superiority complexes.

Does it belong on the list? Eh, probably not but even if it did (does) you'd probably never see on the list anyways.
Why do you think Los Angeles isn't trendy? If your city has one of these posters, then it's "trendy" imo.

http://i-cdn.apartmenttherapy.com/ui..._071008-01.jpg

I searched for the Cleveland poster. No luck. However, I did find: Toronto, Austin, San Francisco, Chicago, Philadelphia, Manhattan, Brooklyn, London, Paris, Madison, Twin Cities, Portland, Seattle, Boston, Des Moines and Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 12:49 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
DC gets old way faster than Paris. That's not a good comparison. DC is also nearly 3 times the size of Manhattan. Which one do you think you'll run out of stuff to do in first?
Neither are boring, which is his point. If you need NYC or more to keep you entertained it may be time to visit a psychiatrist. DC is not only not boring but it's crammed with interesting things to do.

It's a very odd question in the 1st place.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:18 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Yeah, if Seattle isn't tops then the list is useless, right? Seattle gets plenty of love, I wouldn't worry about it: you still live in the trendiest city in the country.
It is highly likely that if they provided the top 15 places, Seattle would be there...probably no lower than 12th IMO.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:29 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Why do you think Los Angeles isn't trendy? If your city has one of these posters, then it's "trendy" imo.

I searched for the Cleveland poster. No luck. However, I did find: Toronto, Austin, San Francisco, Chicago, Philadelphia, Manhattan, Brooklyn, London, Paris, Madison, Twin Cities, Portland, Seattle, Boston, Des Moines and Denver.
Des Moines? Now that is a surprise, but a good one if someone is from Iowa. The firm that makes these must be there. LOL!

Can't make people from Cleveland too happy though. I would have assumed that Pittsburgh and Atlanta would each have a poster. I would guess the list above is not complete, but still a good list.

Kudos to Minneapolis/St. Paul for placing 2nd on that disposable income list after DC, too!

Old 04-22-2014, 01:37 PM

93 posts, read 85,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
It is highly likely that if they provided the top 15 places, Seattle would be there...probably no lower than 12th IMO.
The full list (1-25) is here:
The 25 Best Cities and Neighborhoods for Millennials | Niche Ink

Seattle is 13th, LA is 17th.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:44 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiglo_2000 View Post
The full list (1-25) is here:
The 25 Best Cities and Neighborhoods for Millennials | Niche Ink

Seattle is 13th, LA is 17th.
Some of the "best neighborhoods for Millenials" listed for each city is pretty funny(and seems entirely random).

They list the best for Seattle as Eastlake and the best for LA as Palms and San Francisco as Cow Hollow... And then the best for San Jose is "old Mountain View" (not in San Jose).

Last edited by Deezus; 04-22-2014 at 01:59 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 01:51 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:

It's LA so it's always sort of trendy, but nearly as much as NYC, SF, Seattle, Austin, Boston are right now. LA has been super trendy in decades past for sure.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:09 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
It's LA so it's always sort of trendy, but nearly as much as NYC, SF, Seattle, Austin, Boston are right now. LA has been super trendy in decades past for sure.
Maybe because LA is so large, that the trendiness feels a little more dispersed, but plenty of LA neighborhoods are known for being very trendy right now(and have been for some years). At least on the West Coast I get that feeling based on what places you constantly hear about again and again.

Maybe because LA doesn't have a situation like with smaller cities where well over half the city is gentrified, but Silver Lake/Los Feliz/Echo Park are firmly on the "hipster" circuit, Downtown LA is now getting written up for having all the same hip amenties you find in parts of New York, San Francisco, Portland, etc... Ask a random trendy transplant in Portland or Seattle and half of them just moved from LA or will move there next(if they haven't already lived in San Francisco and Brooklyn). It seems like a sort of revolving door of those locations for those kids...

And I hate using the word "hipster" but we all know what that cliche means...

Old 04-22-2014, 02:23 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Some of the "best neighborhoods for Millenials" listed for each city is pretty funny(and seems entirely random).

They list the best for Seattle as Eastlake and the best for LA as Palms and San Francisco as Cow Hollow... And then the best for San Jose is "old Mountain View" (not in San Jose).
LA also got a "low" crime score which is better than most in the top 10 (Anyone surprised MSP was ranked "average".) You can tell the author had no idea what they were talking about when they said the up and coming neighborhood is "Palms." I work near palms and it's boring and expensive. It should clearly be one of the hipster neighborhoods (Echo Park, Highland Park or Silver Lake) or something yuppie (Santa Monica) for LA.

I just can't get over NYC as number 1. The list is clearly rigged.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:25 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,925 times
In SF / MUNI the buses / trains / cars look so clean when they upgrade the fleets but the stations still look gross
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City