Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is San Francisco's relative stature in the US?
Top 5 99 63.06%
6-10 46 29.30%
11-15 7 4.46%
Outside the top 15 5 3.18%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 01:37 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,593,514 times

Advertisements

I feel like out of all the major metro areas in the United States, San Francisco's place seems to be in the most contention when it comes to influence. I say this because

1) San Francisco Metro only encompasses 4 out of the 9 counties that is typically thought of the "Bay Area"
2) This effectively splits "Silicon Valley", which can be argued has less to do with SF than it does with San Jose and Palo Alto, both of which are in San Jose metro
3) San Francisco itself only has 800,000 people. While still relatively large, this effectively puts it outside the top 10 of population in city proper population
4) The Los Angeles effect: for better and for worse, San Francisco/Bay Area is in the same state as Los Angeles. While this does not mean much to us, this could mean that SF is greatly overshadowed by the juggernaught to the south of it
5) Lack of proximity to populated places: Though you can make the same argument for other Western metros and even Los Angeles itself, one could make the argument that SFBA is isolated given that aside from Sacramento, it really isn't near other areas. Los Angeles itself, on the other hand, is large enough so that this isn't as noticeable. Huge difference between being within 100 miles of 22 million people and being 100 miles of 13 million people.
6) Lack of media exposure: see #4

Where would you place San Francisco/Bay Area in terms of its relative stature in the United States? Is it a top 5 area? is it between 6-10? Is it between 10-14? What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 01:39 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Top five, I would say a safe lock for the top five. Beyond that, it could be anywhere in the top five except 1-2, in my opinion.

The splits and divisions are all technicalities, it is a poly-nodal metropolis (like Rhine-Ruhr in Germany) and should be seen as such. Also I think the San Francisco Bay Area is reasonably located near Reno, yes not the closest place in the world but a do-able distance. I realize Reno and Carson City are smaller places but they offer amenities and a cultural history that more than make up for their smaller sizes (gaming, western frontier culture, a second state capital/political center (to go along with Sacramento)).

Stockton and Modesto are the makings of Inland Empire (North). Their presence to the San Francisco Bay Area will accelerate and increase, let's keep it 100, the San Francisco Bay Area isn't getting any cheaper and it definitely wont be growing any more developable land. This is where the inland growth will continue.

Salinas will more than likely fit the role of Ventura (North) as it starts growing towards the San Francisco Bay Area in future decades (via Gilroy).

Old 04-23-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Top five, I would say a safe lock for the top five. Beyond that, it could be anywhere in the top five except 1-2, in my opinion.
While I am inclined to agree, I think it could also fall outside of the top 5 given how
1) Decentralized the Bay Area is, almost giving the appearance it isn't one metro. In other words, there's no 'center'
2) Boston, Houston, and Dallas all have more populated metros. Even in California, San-Bernardino Riverside have more populated MSA's
3) In terms of media markets, Dallas and Philadelphia are both larger.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:01 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
^^^You clearly don't really know what you are talking about and you are only spitting back numbers you've seen on paper.

NYC
LA

Chicago, SF, and DC are all fairly equal at this point

Boston, Houston, Dallas, Philly round out top 9

Atlanta a close #10

Miami just trailing it at #11 (though some people may argue that we switch Atl and Mia)

Everyone else.

This is really how it goes.

Right now, in 2014, it may even be argued that SF is the temporary #2 in this country behind NYC. I say that based on its economy, what's going on here now, etc etc. Any economic blip and it will fall to #3-5 in a heartbeat since there is no way it's a consistent day in day out #2 in almost every category (like LA is). But you mentioned influence, and right now the Bay Area is one of the world's most influential hubs.

Come here and drive around - you will quickly realize that MSAs really don't apply to the Bay Area. This is definitely an ~8 million person metro and it feels like it.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
^^^You clearly don't really know what you are talking about and you are only spitting back numbers you've seen on paper.
You're right, I don't know how it is on the ground because I've never been there. You can tone down on the condescending tone, given that I said "I am inclined to agree with you BUT...."

It isn't meant to put down SF in any way, but rather explore why there is a divergence of opinion.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:13 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
You're right, I don't know how it is on the ground because I've never been there. You can tone down on the condescending tone, given that I said "I am inclined to agree with you BUT...."

It isn't meant to put down SF in any way, but rather explore why there is a divergence of opinion.

I think its not clear cut

NYC and LA are pretty clear

Chicago is probably a top 5 no matter how you slice it

DC and the Bay (if viewed collectively which to me the inner bay is one place - MSA is too light CSA too large but would say the same for DC at this point) are by most accounts in the top 5

If truly pushed would probably say this order
NYC
LA
Chicago
DC
Bay

but its not cut and dry but that would probably be my top 5 -the next 4 may even be more difficult to rank

Old 04-23-2014, 02:16 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
As far as relevance and influence today as far as driving the economy and trends, the Bay Area is probably no lower than 2nd

The Bay Area is 2nd as far as corporate concentration and globally recognized corporate brands.

The Bay Area is 1st(by far) when it comes to annual patents issued.

Billions of people around the world access information and project their lives to the rest of the world on platforms that originate in the Bay.

Billions.

Imagine if suddenly Google, Facebook, YouTube, gmail, Wikipedia, Craigslist, Twitter, LinkedIn all decided to shut down. Imagine if that shutdown were accompanied by Apple and Android wireless operating systems also shut down.

All this talk of Riverside and Philly are cute but neither of those 2 places wield the immense global power that Bay Area companies collectively possess.

New York and DC to me are the only other 2 that could reak that kind of havoc in the world.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:17 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
If you remove Silicon Valley, you can hear arguments for Boston & Houston to be ranked ahead of San Francisco I think...but the Bay Area as a whole (which I believe is how that region should be measured) is definitely Top 5.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:49 PM

This forum is weird. I see lots of explanations of why its top 5, but its tied between being a top 5 area/city and merely a 6-10 city without any explanation.

I honestly think its more of a top 5 area myself, but do find some merit behind the 6-10 arguments. If someone can make them.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:12 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
I would be curious to hear from the 6-10 camp. If NYC, LA, Chicago, and DC are obviously more "influential" than the Bay Area, what are the other 1-5 more influential metros? This could make for an interesting argument...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City