Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 04:01 PM

147 posts, read 147,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Haven't you heard? Toronto and Chicago have been voted out of this dance and are out of the discussion now.. This is about Mexico City and NYC.... Truly shocking

Why is it that even in threads where NYC is not an option it still manages to hijack the real discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 04:13 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prarie State View Post
Why is it that even in threads where NYC is not an option it still manages to hijack the real discussion.
Actually I think Toronto was put in an unfair position within this thread to begin with. This is the one thread where it should be a bullfight between NYC and Mexico City for the most urban city in N.A title imo. If the OP had of changed the title of the thread to what I actually think he intended, it would have been titled "Would you agree aside from NYC, Toronto is the most urban city in Canada/United States" that it would have been more interesting.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:19 PM

147 posts, read 147,639 times
Quote:
Actually I think Toronto was put in an unfair position within this thread to begin with. This is the one thread where it should be a bullfight between NYC and Mexico City for the most urban city in N.A title imo. If the OP had of changed the title of the thread to what I actually think he intended, it would have been titled "Would you agree aside from NYC, Toronto is the most urban city in Canada/United States" that it would have been more interesting.

Definitely would have been a different story.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I think its more of a case of people becoming a little annoyed that it seems like no one ever considers cities outside of the US and Canada when speaking about N. America. It should be assumed that this is NYC/DF and no one else. But I guess I was hoping that it would sprout a further discussion about 3rd and beyond while including other cities in the entire continent. Actually I think I will start another thread asking that exact question, lol.

For the record there is a separate thread comparing NYC and DF and I commented there.
I can understand your sentiments - there should be a more balanced comparison going on between U.S and Canadian cities against all of N.A.. but yeah, as long as the U.S and Canada remain so similar in built form and culture, in an American dominated forum you are going to get that. I agree that for the most urban and impressive overall cities in N.A the discussion should be about Mexico City and NYC. Toronto, Chicago, S.F, LA and others are impressive but none of them match... to be expected really! Canada only has a third the population of Mexico so i'm not too disappointed that we don't have a plus 15 million city in the country - I mean that would be 45 percent the population of Canada lol. Relative to the population of the country, Toronto is a big city. Having said that, almost without exception the most impressive cities in the world have metro areas greater than 10 million and often more than 15.

Quote:
You should have assumed that man. Toronto is now the 3rd largest city in the US and Canada. On top of that it is the undisputed economic center of the country with no close rival. Why wouldnt all the millionaires cluster there?
Toronto is absolutely not the 3rd largest city in N.A by any measure lol.. It just passes Chicago for 4th largest city proper and I mean just (though if Chicago doesn't start densifying its core soon the gap will only grow).. Number 3 comfortable rests with the city of Angels by a large and comfortable margin and I doubt that'll change in our lifetime..

Last edited by fusion2; 04-27-2014 at 10:39 AM..

Old 04-27-2014, 10:59 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,523 times
Toronto is third though. He said US & Canada, not NA.

NYC
LA
Toronto

Old 04-27-2014, 11:11 AM

3,863 posts, read 5,288,028 times
Quote:
I can understand your sentiments - there should be a more balanced comparison going on between U.S and Canadian cities against all of N.A.. but yeah, as long as the U.S and Canada remain so similar in built form and culture, in an American dominated forum you are going to get that. I agree that for the most urban and impressive overall cities in N.A the discussion should be about Mexico City and NYC. Toronto, Chicago, S.F, LA and others are impressive but none of them match... to be expected really! Canada only has a third the population of Mexico so i'm not too disappointed that we don't have a plus 15 million city in the country - I mean that would be 45 percent the population of Canada lol. Relative to the population of the country, Toronto is a big city. Having said that, almost without exception the most impressive cities in the world have metro areas greater than 10 million and often more than 15.

Toronto is absolutely not the 3rd largest city in N.A by any measure lol.. It just passes Chicago for 4th largest city proper and I mean just (though if Chicago doesn't start densifying its core soon the gap will only grow).. Number 3 comfortable rests with the city of Angels by a large and comfortable margin and I doubt that'll change in our lifetime..
I said the 3rd largest in US and Canada, read it again please.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Toronto is third though. He said US & Canada, not NA.

NYC
LA
Toronto
Thank you!

Old 04-27-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I said the 3rd largest in US and Canada, read it again please.
Ok miss thang....OMG shoot me lol! We need to come up with a name for the U.S and Canada...

Old 04-27-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Ok miss thang....OMG shoot me lol!
My pistol is in my holster homie, no worries.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:22 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,296,704 times
Quote:
Ok miss thang....OMG shoot me lol! We need to come up with a name for the U.S and Canada...
Right, because when one refers to them as "US and Canada", it gets very confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City