Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:36 PM

854 posts, read 1,482,029 times

Advertisements

I just think culturally Mexico City is much more like Rio or Lima than it is like Toronto or New York City ... I don't think anyone could dispute that.

Looking at pictures of Mexico City it doesn't look more urban than Toronto to me, it's just very vast in area. Numbers and urbanity aren't always correlated. I'd consider Monaco a lot more urban than Fargo, North Dakota for an extreme example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 07:42 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Toronto does have many leafy residential neighbourhoods within easy walking distance of the downtown core, they are not "suburban", they are quite dense and lively.
Yes and they are always close to large and very urban mixed used arterials.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:45 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times
I'm curious, do you get crowds like this in Toronto, Chicago, SF.etc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMGnIG-GX0Q

These are usual shopping crowds, no big event going on...

Old 04-23-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post

For Toronto, Yeah, easily at Yonge and Dundas and walking north and south of Dundas on Yonge. Yonge and Bloor also very busy. I'd say even walking West of Yonge on Bloor you'd see crowds like this as well in Yorkville. Queen Street West of Yonge all the way to Spadina (Chinatown Toronto) and even a bit west of Spadina would be comparable as well. I'd say a typical weekend or after school weekday crowd at Yonge and Dundas would be definately busier than this. For Toronto its hard not to show street scenes with events - there's so many of them.

My experience in S.F along Market Street and in Particular Union Square area is also comparable if not busier as well. Chicago for sure.. forgot the streets but definitely crowds as busy if not busier!

Old 04-23-2014, 08:01 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,400,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post

You definitely get crowds like that on any given day in places like Chicago, Philly, SF, etc.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:05 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,286,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Have you been to Cabbagetown, Kensington Market, Queen St West, Chinatown 1+2, Roncesvalles, Queen Street East, The Annex, The Danforth, Bloor street West all the way down to Keele, The Beaches and walked throughout Old Toronto's numerous nabes. If you haven't than I find it would be difficult for you to judge the true urbanity of Toronto. Toronto is far more multifaceted than tons of skyscrapers.. If you are in the CBD it is the most obvious part of the city because there are so many scrapers going up but OLD Toronto is far greater than the CBD. In this regard knowing the true city of Toronto in all its forms I would find it difficult to place it in a ranking other than to say Old Toronto is very urban. Outside Old Toronto it becomes much more suburban in nature but that fact exists for S.F, Montreal, Philly and pretty much every N.A city once you get outside their established urban cores.. It just so happens that Old Toronto is a very large and established urban core. A city like Miami doesn't have an established urban core like the others but Old Toronto is definitely up there..
The 1998 amalgamation really hurt Toronto's urban credibility. Most just don't see it as a top 3-4 contender anymore.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:06 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,940 times
Was recently in Toronto, and I'd put in at the same level/ pace as Chicago. More bustling and busier over more widespread areas than SF imo. And certainly more than Montreal, DC. LA has contiguous urban development but it's not the same as the aforementioned.

So yes, I'd say it's pretty much tied with Chicago for 2nd.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:09 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times
yes, I would be surprised if they did not...

keep in mind Melbourne has a metro of 4.4 million...clearly it blows American cities of a similar size like Phoenix out of the water, and bigger cities like Houston and Dallas.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Was recently in Toronto, and I'd put in at the same level/ pace as Chicago. More bustling and busier over more widespread areas than SF imo. And certainly more than Montreal, DC.

So yes, I'd say it's pretty much tied with Chicago for 2nd.
Actually I remember you posting in the Toronto section! Glad you made it up

Wait until the summer - Torontonians really come out in full force after a long cold winter... plus there's non stop festivals and events going on...

Old 04-23-2014, 08:12 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,472,833 times
Mexico City and Los Angeles would be more urban
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City