Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The answer to the question in the first post is?
Mexico City 19 44.19%
New York 24 55.81%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 05:26 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times

Advertisements

The two cities have around the same city populations and around the same ballpark in metropolitan populations, both are the premier cities of their countries and joined by Sao Paulo the only hypercities in the Western Hemisphere.

Which of these two cities is more urban? Which one is more walkable? Which one has the highest peak densities and consistency over a larger area for the peak densities?

I get the impression that Mexico City often goes ignored in these North American threads, I literally see a lot of threads asking about North America, rarely if ever see any Mexican cities on the respondents' lists. I'm not Mexican but the ignorance is quite insulting, so this one should be a good comparison between the two massive cities of North America.

I've been to New York, haven't ever been to Mexico City but wondering how they compare overall and which one a person will find on average to be more urban and walkable. Feel free to add your own criteria's and rules if you want, just make it logical for others to understand. Decipher which one of the two wins most of the criteria for the thread.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-25-2014 at 05:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 07:22 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,383 times
Sad to say this, but I think Mexico City is one of those major world cities I wouldn't shed a tear over not ever visiting...I do know people who have been who don't particularly like it.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:09 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,769,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Sad to say this, but I think Mexico City is one of those major world cities I wouldn't shed a tear over not ever visiting...I do know people who have been who don't particularly like it.
IMO, the people you know are idiots. DF is one of the most architecturally and topographically magnificent cities in the world. It is in a valley ringed by snow-capped extinct volcanoes. In 1521 when the Spaniards get there it is the largest city in the world - they raze most of it but the pyramids at Teotihuacan are alone worth a visit. The colonial architecture of the centro historico is gorgeous. Condesa is arguably the largest and best preserved art deco neighborhood in the world, the museums are fantastic- the street food is the best in the world in my experience. There is spectacular public art throughout. Roma has blocks of beautiful 19th century townhouses. Chapultepec with the Hapsburg castle in the middle of it and the Museo Anthropologica at its edge rivals Central Park as a great urban park.The floating gardens of Xochimilco have been continually cultivated for a millennium. Sure it is grimy in parts - traffic is atrocious, and while the air quality has improved drastically over the last decade, you can get smoggy days. Nightlife is extraordinary, and the energy in the streets is palpable. The weather is close to perfect: rarely gets below 40, rarely gets above 80, so there are always people on the streets. There are hundreds of outdoor markets all over the city. It is one of the world's great cities and has been so for nearly a thousand years.

To get back on topic: New York is more urban. They have similar populations, but DF is quite a bit larger in land area. There is nothing like the avenue canyons of Manhattan, and DF feels shorter but bigger, NYC taller and denser. I lived for a decade in Manhattan, and for the last 4 years have spent 3 weeks in DF each summer running a seminar. I know New York much better than I do DF. Architecturally DF has much greater diversity due to its age than NYC which is mostly a twentieth century city with a few lovely 19th century sections. They are both inexhaustible cities - there is always something new to do, some place you have not been before to discover. Ito urban bang for your buck, DF is the best deal in the western hemisphere.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:33 PM

37,122 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
I can see that. People will say that about a lot of greatly loved cities.

To me, Mexico City is amazing. A cultural, historical, and archeological wonder.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:58 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I can see that. People will say that about a lot of greatly loved cities.

To me, Mexico City is amazing. A cultural, historical, and archeological wonder.
Yeah, Mexico City is North America's oldest city. It's actually dense throughout the metro, with historical sites that make the United States' historical sites seem like babies in comparison.

Its your own prerogative if you don't want to visit somewhere, but variety is the spice of life.

DF has the population of the NY area hemmed in to a place that's geographically restrictive. It's honestly much closer to an Asian city than anything in the United States IMO.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:01 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Wow, D.F. looks amazing in these pictures I just saw on Flickr. Wow. Might have the best architecture in North America...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pauldmariano/13997605485

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pauldmariano/13997474255

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pauldmariano/13997597185

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pauldmariano/13997601165

Kind of reminds me of a European city with a Latin/Mexican twist.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:42 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
In terms of consistent density, it's Mexico City, by far.

According to demographia, MC has a population of 19.25 million in only 800 square miles. That comes out to a staggering 24,000+ ppsm.

New York clocks in at 20.36 million, but needs 4495 sq miles to get there. The density is only 4,500 ppsm.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:03 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
In terms of consistent density, it's Mexico City, by far.

According to demographia, MC has a population of 19.25 million in only 800 square miles. That comes out to a staggering 24,000+ ppsm.

New York clocks in at 20.36 million, but needs 4495 sq miles to get there. The density is only 4,500 ppsm.
Wow, what a massive difference.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:16 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,769,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Wow, what a massive difference.
Within city limits, NYC is denser: 27000 ppsm
Population - New York City Department of City Planning

And I don't know where demographia is getting their numbers but 15000 ppsm is much more commonly given for DF within city limits

Mexico City Population 2013 | World Population Statistics

But greater Mexico City is undoubtedly denser than the tri-state area that comprises New York's MSA.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:29 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Well yes Im aware but 19 million in 800 sq miles is way more impressive that 8 million in 300 sq miles imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City