Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:25 PM

69 posts, read 152,843 times

Advertisements

Maybe try Albuquerque, milder than Denver but not too hot.

A lot of people midwesterners love it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 09:36 PM

16 posts, read 51,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Without a doubt, Denver gets more sun in the winter. It also gets much more cold and snow.

Temperatures are just a matter of record. "Gloomy" is such a subjective thing. I rarely find cloudy skies in Portland, in and of themselves, to be "gloomy." Occasionally, they're really low hanging clouds, so I can see how people would find those that way. But mostly, they're high clouds ... I think it's the mountains that make them feel less oppressive. I've always found clouds out in the plains states to feel more oppressive (I'm a tad claustrophobic), but never really feel that in Portland. And I prefer a sky with some clouds in it to perfectly clear skies. I find them more interesting.

You just have to decide which you prefer.
That does sound awesome. I've seen so many posts from PNW residents complaining about the drizzly weather, but I guess they choose to stay for a reason. I would definitely visit the place more in person before getting to a decision. Thank you.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:37 PM

16 posts, read 51,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT22 View Post
Maybe try Albuquerque, milder than Denver but not too hot.

A lot of people midwesterners love it there.
Thanks. I would do some research about it.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:09 PM

124 posts, read 149,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWIb View Post
Any comparisons on climate of the three? Or maybe two cause Seattle and Portland are very similar.
Denver is very sunny, Portland/Seattle is gloomy 8 months a yr with some breaks here and there with drizzling rain. SAD can be an issue, but its not too bad if u stay active and not sit at home. However, if u like sun, it may be a big issue. I havent been to Denver, but it seems like a good climate to me, if u like 4 seasons, no excessive snow and no summer humidity. Much less snow than Mpls, and not as cold. Im personally not very attracted to Denver tho due to lack of greenery and water like u have in MN or the Pacific NW. San Diego is very nice, but u have to like warmth all the time, and its expensive. NC seems nice, but coming from Mpls, ud prolly be less comfortable there than these other options due to a much warmer weather and a southern aspect.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:56 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
I grew up in the Carolina's and currently live in Minneapolis, and if you think summers Minnesota are bad then I wouldn't consider Charlotte, or Raleigh. Both are consistently hotter and more humid than what you experience in the Twin Cities. Not to say that we don't have hot days in MPLS from time to time but the severity, and duration are much more intense in the Carolina's. As far as cities nationally most like the Twin Cities it's gonna be the same as usual Seattle, Denver, Portland, and maybe even Austin? All will have their pluses or minuses (cloudy, rainy, cold, brown, or hot, etc...), but most will offer a similar experience as the Twin Cities, It just depends on what you as an individual are willing to tolerate. Anyway just my 2 cents.
I would not personally equate Austin to Minneapolis. Austin really isn't that close to that level yet, despite its rapid population growth, and that's not a slight to Austin.

A good substitute could be Denver, Seattle, Portland, San Diego or maybe Chicago or Boston (not for size obviously). Obviously, none of these places are perfect either, and where you gain on the one hand u will also lose on the other hand. Three years is a bit short but if u can't handle the cold u wouldn't be the first. Just know that you will potentially struggle to find that "it" place based in ur preferences.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:51 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
Quote:
I had a feeling that San Diego is over crowded. Southern Oregon is definitely a good balance of climate and affordability. Thank you for sharing your experience!
I have no doubt that you are correct about San Diego being overcrowded,not to mention insane COL,however after living in a really dead,boring area of 67,000,with nothing to do except for an amazing public library system,and one of the world's best amusement parks- Cedar Point in Sandusky,Oh[about 45 min. away],which of course is only open seasonally...

My son has no interest at all in moving to a place as small as Medford,and both of us think it would be exciting to have so much to do/see right at hand. We want to live close to Balboa Park with it's 15 museums,world famous zoo,all those parks,restaurants ect,and San Diego's year round pleasant weather,never too hot or cold,plus hundreds of days of annual sun.

Medford is my Plan B, in case we find that we really cannot stomach seeing our money thrown away on outrageous prices for car registration,gas for the car,and sitting in traffic on freeway parking lots,taxes,taxes,and more taxes!

BTW, did you know that Oregon has no sales tax? Washington State has no state income tax.

Only your family can decide how much weather is a factor for the quality of life you are hoping for[it is #1 for my son and I,and lots to see and do is #2]city size,if good job opportunities are a factor[neither San Diego or Medford offer that].

Just continue to read the forums for the areas you are interested in,and check out the online newspapers for those areas to help get a feel for them,plus look for youtube clips of the areas.

Wishing you the best on your adventure.

After the recent mudslide in Oslo,WA, this is another reason that we prefer an area that does not have such saturated soil!

Both Seattle and Portland subject to soil liquefaction in an earthquake!
We already know they both are prone to landslides,anyway,how much more so with an earthquake?

http://www.opb.org/news/article/nort...usceptibility/

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 04-29-2014 at 06:00 AM..

Old 04-29-2014, 10:08 AM

124 posts, read 149,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I have no doubt that you are correct about San Diego being overcrowded,not to mention insane COL,however after living in a really dead,boring area of 67,000,with nothing to do except for an amazing public library system,and one of the world's best amusement parks- Cedar Point in Sandusky,Oh[about 45 min. away],which of course is only open seasonally...

My son has no interest at all in moving to a place as small as Medford,and both of us think it would be exciting to have so much to do/see right at hand. We want to live close to Balboa Park with it's 15 museums,world famous zoo,all those parks,restaurants ect,and San Diego's year round pleasant weather,never too hot or cold,plus hundreds of days of annual sun.

Medford is my Plan B, in case we find that we really cannot stomach seeing our money thrown away on outrageous prices for car registration,gas for the car,and sitting in traffic on freeway parking lots,taxes,taxes,and more taxes!

BTW, did you know that Oregon has no sales tax? Washington State has no state income tax.

Only your family can decide how much weather is a factor for the quality of life you are hoping for[it is #1 for my son and I,and lots to see and do is #2]city size,if good job opportunities are a factor[neither San Diego or Medford offer that].

Just continue to read the forums for the areas you are interested in,and check out the online newspapers for those areas to help get a feel for them,plus look for youtube clips of the areas.

Wishing you the best on your adventure.

After the recent mudslide in Oslo,WA, this is another reason that we prefer an area that does not have such saturated soil!

Both Seattle and Portland subject to soil liquefaction in an earthquake!
We already know they both are prone to landslides,anyway,how much more so with an earthquake?

http://www.opb.org/news/article/nort...usceptibility/
**** happens anywhere

Old 04-29-2014, 01:04 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
Quote:
Yeah so given Minneapolis is hard to beat and all these things are similar, do you think Denver's climate is slightly better or way better or on par with that of Minneapolis?
I wouldn't say Denver's climate is way better.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:22 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Three years now. The past winter was unbelievably cold although previous two years were bearable.
How would you compare Denver vs Minneapolis then? I can tell now that Minneapolis is definitely better than a majority of cities, but still if Denver is Minneapolis-alike with a milder winter, it would be great IMO.
Thanks for the information.
I have neighbors here in Denver who moved from Mpls. a few years ago, and they think Denver winters are tropical lol!

Yes, it does get cold here. Most winters, we'll have two "arctic air" situations that last 1-4 days each. But I've also seen it be 70 on Christmas. The lowest average high in Denver is 43 degrees in January, but you'll have days in Dec - Feb where it's in the 50s and 60s here and there. Snow doesn't build up much most years as it's the driest time of year (so it most snows are in the dusting to 4" category) and then it melts off between snows.

And then there's summer. Warm to hot afternoons where it's in the upper 80s to low 90s, then it cools substantially at night down to the low 60s. And with low humidity, you're not all sweaty. Not a lot of bugs either, so outdoor living is very common here. I've seen it get up to 105 in Denver, but that's rare. Still a lot better than 105 in Dallas

Old 04-29-2014, 02:46 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staygully View Post
**** happens anywhere
No soil liquefaction does not happen 'anywhere'.... as the article clearly states,some areas such as Portland and Seattle ,and San Fransisco for that matter are much higher risk than San Diego. I've read several articles plus looked at the geographical and risk-factor maps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City