Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 07:08 PM

124 posts, read 149,612 times

Advertisements

I think ur more likely to die from a stray bulllet so good to not live in a place like chiraq
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 08:56 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
EnricoV
Quote:
You mean because there's all kinds of warning for tornadoes and blizzards? Mud/landslides/avalanches are fairly predictable.
Uh yes,there are pretty good warnings prior to fronts bringing tornadoes and blizzards, actually several days before the last two outbreaks,and before this past winter's severe storms also!

Maybe not in Oregon,I wouldn't know,but here in Ohio they were forecast and my daughter in TN was also prepared.

Never heard of any news source warning about Mud/landslides/avalanches,and my sister lives in Spokane and they don't get any warnings either!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 04-30-2014 at 09:06 PM..

Old 04-30-2014, 10:41 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
EnricoV Uh yes,there are pretty good warnings prior to fronts bringing tornadoes and blizzards, actually several days before the last two outbreaks,and before this past winter's severe storms also!

Maybe not in Oregon,I wouldn't know,but here in Ohio they were forecast and my daughter in TN was also prepared.

Never heard of any news source warning about Mud/landslides/avalanches,and my sister lives in Spokane and they don't get any warnings either!
Lol. Now I know you don't really know much about the northwest. Spokane is DRY. Eastern Washington. Arid. Little rain. And it's flat. A ways to anything that'd be a real "mountain," which is required.That equals no mudslides. They'd more have to worry about fires, like Southern California.

As for forecasting your tornadoes ... did your house, your town get hit by one? Did your daughters? I'm guessing not, or you wouldn't be here in this forum right now. So they were able to forecast something that didn't happen. Well done them.

There sure are always too many deaths, if they're being predicted.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Lol. Now I know you don't really know much about the northwest. Spokane is DRY. Eastern Washington. Arid. Little rain. And it's flat. A ways to anything that'd be a real "mountain," which is required.That equals no mudslides. They'd more have to worry about fires, like Southern California.

As for forecasting your tornadoes ... did your house, your town get hit by one? Did your daughters? I'm guessing not, or you wouldn't be here in this forum right now. So they were able to forecast something that didn't happen. Well done them.

There sure are always too many deaths, if they're being predicted.
You just proved that you don't know SQUAT! Talk about not knowing much about the northwest! Guess you never heard of the avalanche on the Rte 2 highway that swept that vehicle off the road [Steven's Pass]!

Avalanches shut down Highway 2 at Stevens Pass | KREM.com Spokane

U.S. Route 2 in Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FYI my dad was stationed at Fairchild AFB in Spokane,WA more than once! I was born in Kellogg,ID his first time at Fairchild. My maternal grandmother owned a home in Kellogg,and we also lived in Spokane when I was 6-8[then transferred to Cheyenne,WY another 2 yrs] and my sister and an aunt live in Spokane today. My mom had brothers and a sister, plus her mom in the area[and Montana,Grandma moved to Spokane when Grandpa died] so we went there every year on vacation,which FYI in the AF is 30 day leave every year! Spokane is arid but it gets a lot of snow!

And yes,my daughter's area[Memphis metro area] did have several tornadoes,also several of the severe winter storms.There were also tornadoes sighted around my area, and there were several areas under a tornado watch,because our cities weren't actually hit it is really idiotic to say that the forecasts weren't of value!! Good God that might be the the _________ st thing I have yet read on these forums!

Thanks to those forecasts at least we had supplies in,so if we had of lost power ect,we were prepared.

To get back on topic,only the OP can decide what suits their wish list,but I think anyone should also be aware of the hazards of some areas. Some FANBOYS/FANGIRLS will deny their area has any!

It is really ironic when someone goes to work in a nuclear power plant then complains about glowing in the dark!

All I would suggest is to definitely rent for 1-2 years before making a decision to buy,so you get a real feel for the area and climate. Unfortunately there is only a teeny tiny part of America that doesn't have crappy humidity or severe winter weather. Any search will only give you the CA coast and Hawaii,if you also specify that you desire sun,as my son and I discovered.

We have the advantage of feeling that just about any place would be better than here,[however we want to escape winter and humidity]and if needed we can always move again,but not everyone has that option.

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 05-01-2014 at 06:20 AM..

Old 05-01-2014, 07:43 AM

I'm sorry. You must be right. I hadn't realized that they moved Spokane to Steven's Pass.

Gosh, you're just so up on things.

And you're just so right about them being able to predict tornadoes and severe weather. Let me have a hand at it ... it's spring you know, so I predict there will be an avalanche/landslide/mudslide somewhere in some mountains.

Oops. I was wrong. It happened in Baltimore.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I'm sorry. You must be right. I hadn't realized that they moved Spokane to Steven's Pass.

Gosh, you're just so up on things.

And you're just so right about them being able to predict tornadoes and severe weather. Let me have a hand at it ... it's spring you know, so I predict there will be an avalanche/landslide/mudslide somewhere in some mountains.

Oops. I was wrong. It happened in Baltimore.

ROTFLMAO...The highway parallels the Columbia River Subdivision of the BNSF Northern Transcon through Bachelor Prairie towards Davenport,[18][19] where it intersects the termini of SR 28 and SR 25. US 2 travels into Reardan concurrent with SR 231 and enters Spokane County east of the town boundary. The highway passes Fairchild Air Force Base and becomes a four-lane arterial street through Airway Heights approaching Spokane. US 2 enters the city of Spokane as a four-lane freeway northeast of Spokane International Airport and intersects Airport Way before beginning its 3.82-mile-long (6.15 km) concurrency with I-90 and US 395 at a partial cloverleaf interchange.[20][21][34][35] I-90, US 2 and US 395 travel east into Downtown Spokane and intersects the northern terminus of US 195, which travels south towards Pullman and Lewiston, Idaho.[36] US 2 and US 395 split from I-90 and travel into Downtown Spokane on the one-way pair of Browne and Division streets,[37][38] serving the Spokane Intermodal Center and Spokane Convention Center before reaching Riverfront Park. Division Street crosses the Spokane River and the Centennial Trail on the Senator Sam C. Guess Memorial Bridge before splitting into the one-way pairing of Division and Ruby streets.[39] Division Street continues north past the NorthTown Mall and the eastern terminus of SR 291 at Francis Street before US 2 and US 395 split.[20][21]

Gee but the PNW 'DOES NOT' predict avalanches/landslides/mudslides now do they?

You all must L-O-V-E SURPRISES!!

And this is the end of my even responding to your posts!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 05-01-2014 at 08:53 AM..

Old 05-01-2014, 09:30 AM

Lol. Simmer down, now. You're rambling.

Do you think it bothers me you're going to stop responding? Please. But why ... did they run out of emoticons?

Old 06-19-2014, 04:42 PM

50 posts, read 92,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
You just proved that you don't know SQUAT! Talk about not knowing much about the northwest! Guess you never heard of the avalanche on the Rte 2 highway that swept that vehicle off the road [Steven's Pass]!

Avalanches shut down Highway 2 at Stevens Pass | KREM.com Spokane

FYI my dad was stationed at Fairchild AFB in Spokane,WA more than once! I was born in Kellogg,ID his first time at Fairchild. My maternal grandmother owned a home in Kellogg,and we also lived in Spokane when I was 6-8[then transferred to Cheyenne,WY another 2 yrs] and my sister and an aunt live in Spokane today. My mom had brothers and a sister, plus her mom in the area[and Montana,Grandma moved to Spokane when Grandpa died] so we went there every year on vacation,which FYI in the AF is 30 day leave every year! Spokane is arid but it gets a lot of snow!
Um, what the heck does an avalanche at Stevens Pass have to do with Spokane, which is, according to Google Maps, a 228-mile, 3-hour and 44-minute drive away from Stevens Pass? Highway 2 does go through both places, but I doubt most people in Spokane live their winter lives in fear of a Stevens Pass avalanche taking them out.

OP, how goes the search? Denver and Pac NW are probably your best bets, depending on which tradeoffs are most appealing.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:52 PM

16 posts, read 51,724 times
Hard to decide. Still looking for more information. Honestly I prefer Denver slightly but it's just too hard to say no to Seattle.

So far my feeling is
Seattle is more expensive with more traffic.
Denver has extreme weather in both summer and winter.

I don't want to settle in a place where I have to suffer from traffic 2 hours a day and pay twice the amount for a similar home.
I am also not sure about Denver's dry hot summer and unpredictable winter. It'll be good if people could share more about their feelings about Denver's weather.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:12 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,133 times
Why haven't you considered Phoenix? Seems like the most logical choice if you want mild-to-warm winter weather.

FWIW, there are lots and lots of well-adjusted MN people living in the Phoenix area with no intentions of returning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City