Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which downtown is the most urban and walkable?
Savannah 24 21.43%
DC 16 14.29%
Baltimore 5 4.46%
Philadelphia 67 59.82%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 02:10 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,672,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bones View Post
Actually New Haven, CT, was America's first planned city. William Penn's plan for Philadelphia also predates Savannah. I do like the Oglethorpe plan, though. It is arguably the most successful plan in America.
Agreed. Oglethorpe's plan is brilliant. I'm a Philly guy, but sorry Wm. Penn!
Savannah may not be as big as the other cities on this list (and therefore loses CvsC "urban" points), but I'd say that it definitely gives me the most joy as a pedestrian. Savannah is a very special place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 02:16 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,258,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I will say that the architecture of DC's neighorhoods is stellar, and its rowhouse neighborhoods are much farther along in the revitalization/restoration stage than Philly. However, as I noted above, downtown DC can, at too many times, feel like an office ghetto that's way too focused on the 9-5 crowd.

Philly's strong point is that its downtown is much more seamlessly integrated with the rest of the city, and it just feels much more mixed-use and "lived-in."
It's the story of DC. A massive Proto-European office district with classically urban American neighborhoods albeit with some setbacks and a wide boulevard and avenue system in the residential neighborhoods reminiscent to those of Chicago's I believe. I actually like it because of the nice small backyards and the beautiful gardens on the front lawns of certain row homes during warmer seasons especially in Capitol Hill and DuPont Circle, DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!!! It's charming in its own way to me. Although I will admit, I wouldn't mind if DC had a few neighborhoods that has an intimacy look similar to say Old City, Rittenhouse Square, and Queen Village in Philly. What can I say, I like a little variety. Something for everyone to enjoy

Chinatown/Gallery Place, Penn Quarter, and a certain swath of K Street are still fairly vibrant even when the 9-5 crowd leaves, especially during the weekends. Also, CityCenterDC has been coming online steadily as well since the weather has gotten considerably warmer from this unusual winter. I don't know how well the vibrancy compares to Center City because I've never been to Philly, but it's not like it's the 90's anymore where all of Downtown DC shuts down after 5pm and the freaks come creepin at night. Not to say DTDC isn't still sketchy in a few spots here and there but you see what I mean...

Last edited by tcave360; 05-06-2014 at 02:26 PM..

Old 05-06-2014, 02:21 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,196,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
It's the story of DC. A massive Proto-European office district with classically urban American neighborhoods.

Chinatown/Gallery Place, Penn Quarter, and a certain swath of K Street are still fairly vibrant even when the 9-5 crowd leaves, especially during the weekends. Also, CityCenterDC has been coming online steadily as well since the weather has gotten considerably warmer from this unusual winter. I don't know how well the vibrancy compares to Center City because I've never been to Philly, but it's not like it's not like it's the 90's anymore where all of Downtown DC shuts down after 5pm and the freaks come creepin at night. Not to say DTDC isn't still sketchy in a few spots here and there but you see what I mean...

I've been to CC and it is a vibrant, bustling place but it's really not a good comparison to DT DC because it's so small. I definitely see why people on CD stereotype DT DC because if you go to certain areas after 5, especially down near the Mall, it's full of Federal office buildings that are basically deserted. It's sort of similiar to how the Financial District in Manhattan empties out at night.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I've been to CC and it is a vibrant, bustling place but it's really not a good comparison to DT DC because it's so small. I definitely see why people on CD stereotype DT DC because if you go to certain areas after 5, especially down near the Mall, it's full of Federal office buildings that are basically deserted. It's sort of similiar to how the Financial District in Manhattan empties out at night.
Except that these days, the "FiDi" has a bustling luxury residential contingent as well.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:34 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,258,365 times
Quote:
True that. And yeah, when I was staying at the Conrad hotel up in New York, the neighborhood it was in (Battery Park City/World Trade Center area) was pretty deserted around 10ish pm and I assume that the same was true of the nearby Financial District as well. Both nabes were very vibrant and crowded during the daytime. A lot of the crazy action in Manhattan after dark was outside of that part of the island. I recall seeing the biggest line ever stretching out of this club while I was going towards the Empire State Building around 9pm from the Union Square area and it was still long coming back from the ESB around 1am! It stretched like 2 blocks if I recall correctly. I think I saw this in the Murray Hill or Flatiron District neighborhoods. Some of the girls looked hot too They probably partied til 6am lol. I wonder if that was Webster Hall.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:47 PM

32,195 posts, read 34,947,542 times
Quote:
Isn't that the knock people make against DC on here all of the time? "It's sooooo small...bite sized."

Center City isn't "small." It has the footprint of any regular downtown of a major city. The issue is that its vibrancy (based on pedestrian traffic + safety + "things to do") rates as a 9.5 while its surrounding areas rate around 7 depending on whether you go north or south. There's a tremendous drop off in intensity. I would rate Downtown DC as a an 8.0/7.5 overall with surrounding areas rating about the same (with a few slightly higher).

Old 05-06-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Except that these days, the "FiDi" has a bustling luxury residential contingent as well.
I bet. I haven't been up there in a while. I usually never go far south as Penn Station when I visit unless I am going to BK on the train.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Isn't that the knock people make against DC on here all of the time? "It's sooooo small...bite sized."

Center City isn't "small." It has the footprint of any regular downtown of a major city. The issue is that its vibrancy (based on pedestrian traffic + safety + "things to do") rates as a 9.5 while its surrounding areas rate around 7 depending on whether you go north or south. There's a tremendous drop off in intensity. I would rate Downtown DC as a an 8.0/7.5 overall with surrounding areas rating about the same (with a few slightly higher).
CC is small compared to the Loop, DT DC and Midtown area wise.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:02 PM

32,195 posts, read 34,947,542 times
Quote:
CC is small compared to the Loop, DT DC and Midtown area wise.
No it's not. CC is 2.1 square miles. Downtown DC is 2.3 square miles.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I bet. I haven't been up there in a while. I usually never go far south as Penn Station when I visit unless I am going to BK on the train.
Whereas I rarely intentionally go as far NORTH as Penn Station, unless going to a museum or something when someone is in town visiting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City