Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which downtown is the most urban and walkable?
Savannah 24 21.43%
DC 16 14.29%
Baltimore 5 4.46%
Philadelphia 67 59.82%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 09:59 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,233,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze1100 View Post
Philly, Baltimore, DC, Savannah. Philly beats all these cities by far. Phillys CBD should be compared to New York or Chicago. Its downtown is 4 times the size of the downtowns in all these cities. Downtown Philly could fit Downtown Bmore, DC, and Savannah in it and still have space.
Wrong. Downtown DC is bigger than Center City in regards to land space, let alone office space. CC Philly wouldn't have enough space to begin with to incorporate DTDC. Downtown Bmore and Savannah on the other hand are a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 11:30 PM

673 posts, read 1,191,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Wrong. Downtown DC is bigger than Center City in regards to land space, let alone office space. CC Philly wouldn't have enough space to begin with to incorporate DTDC. Downtown Bmore and Savannah on the other hand are a different story.
Wrong. Philly's CBD is 2.07 miles (Central City), DC's is only 50 acres. Not to mention Philly is a much bigger city compared to DC.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:54 AM

13,741 posts, read 15,813,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze1100 View Post
Wrong. Philly's CBD is 2.07 miles (Central City), DC's is only 50 acres. Not to mention Philly is a much bigger city compared to DC.

The cores of Washington D.C. and Philadelphia are very different. D.C. has a much higher intensity in its urban core. Philadelphia has a much higher intensity in it's downtown. The question is what size area do people prefer? D.C.'s core is pulling away from Philadelphia in urbanity at a pretty fast rate. As construction continues and highrises continue to rise across the below 16.07 sq. mile area, the comparison really won't be close on urban core's with D.C. being head an shoulders above Philadelphia in the future.

This is also true for downtown's as Center City continues to build skyscrapers, D.C.'s downtown will not be close because it can't compete with that due to height limits and street width because of height limits. It boils down to what you prefer. Do you want to live in a smaller 2 sq. mile urban downtown of skyscrapers or a 16 sq. mile urban core that is majority 6-14 story highrises?

I often define them like this based on urbanity or walkability:

Most Urban Downtown: Philadelphia

Most Urban Core: Washington D.C.

Urban Core 16.07 sq. mile area for D.C. and Philly: (Apples to Apples)

Philadelphia (16.07 sq. mile urban core):
Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Washington D.C. (16.07 sq. mile urban core):

Last edited by MDAllstar; 05-19-2014 at 09:03 AM..

Old 05-19-2014, 04:01 PM

22,378 posts, read 39,006,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The cores of Washington D.C. and Philadelphia are very different. D.C. has a much higher intensity in its urban core. Philadelphia has a much higher intensity in it's downtown. The question is what size area do people prefer? D.C.'s core is pulling away from Philadelphia in urbanity at a pretty fast rate. As construction continues and highrises continue to rise across the below 16.07 sq. mile area, the comparison really won't be close on urban core's with D.C. being head an shoulders above Philadelphia in the future.

This is also true for downtown's as Center City continues to build skyscrapers, D.C.'s downtown will not be close because it can't compete with that due to height limits and street width because of height limits. It boils down to what you prefer. Do you want to live in a smaller 2 sq. mile urban downtown of skyscrapers or a 16 sq. mile urban core that is majority 6-14 story highrises?

I often define them like this based on urbanity or walkability:

Most Urban Downtown: Philadelphia

Most Urban Core: Washington D.C.

Urban Core 16.07 sq. mile area for D.C. and Philly: (Apples to Apples)

Philadelphia (16.07 sq. mile urban core):

Washington D.C. (16.07 sq. mile urban core):
I actually love living a very urban neighborhood that has a great feel of mostly 3 story rowhouses and a ton of character within a 1 to 45 minute walk of almost everything I want including a 10 minute walk to the very urban DT yet have a tree-lined diverse neighborhood street (where people plant flowers together along their fronts)

there are pros and cons to both but for me I would choose my neighborhood or a row in Dupont over these new apartment buildings any day - but that is me.

FWIW I live in your 16 sq mile are for Philly and hear buses, and children laughing, and birds, and church bells and my neighbors saying hello every day. I actually dont want to live DT but love being a stones throw in an actual neighborhood. I am loving Bella Vista more and more with each day to be honest.

I do think Philly is more walkable base on time in each and living in each, just my two cents

Old 05-19-2014, 05:41 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,725,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I actually love living a very urban neighborhood that has a great feel of mostly 3 story rowhouses and a ton of character within a 1 to 45 minute walk of almost everything I want including a 10 minute walk to the very urban DT yet have a tree-lined diverse neighborhood street (where people plant flowers together along their fronts)

there are pros and cons to both but for me I would choose my neighborhood or a row in Dupont over these new apartment buildings any day - but that is me.

FWIW I live in your 16 sq mile are for Philly and hear buses, and children laughing, and birds, and church bells and my neighbors saying hello every day. I actually dont want to live DT but love being a stones throw in an actual neighborhood. I am loving Bella Vista more and more with each day to be honest.

I do think Philly is more walkable base on time in each and living in each, just my two cents
Bahahaha DC's core is now the entire half of the city of DC now according to MDAllstar.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:48 PM

10,118 posts, read 10,010,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Bahahaha DC's core is now the entire half of the city of DC now according to MDAllstar.
Soon it'll be 68 sq. miles...lol. He was just being 'conservative' by claiming half.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:50 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,119,917 times
Last time I tried to walk in DC, I couldn't get anywhere, because every couple of blocks, a sidewalk was closed for construction, and I had to cross over to the other side or go around the block.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:54 PM

249 posts, read 399,922 times
A lot of blocks in DT DC are too damn long and the buildings are redundant.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:58 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,725,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Soon it'll be 68 sq. miles...lol. He was just being 'conservative' by claiming half.
Bahahaha exactly. Next time around the "core" will include the entire city of DC and all it's satellite cities.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:12 PM

13,741 posts, read 15,813,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post

?????

D.C.'s urban core is defined by the development zone. There are over 20,000 housing units delivering in that footprint over the next three years. The highlighted area will be developed with high-rise's and will absorb all the growth in D.C. over the next 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City