Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities are more culturally alike Dallas/Tyler or Atlanta/Macon Or Houston/Lufkin
Dallas/Tyler 13 24.07%
Atlanta/Macon 23 42.59%
Houston/Lufkin 18 33.33%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 12:16 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I'd bet that you actually know very little about Waco.

Tyler fashionable? Mmkay..
Yeah...its where Johnny Football gets his suits custom tailored.

Harley's for Men Fine Menswear

I also suggest you pick up a copy of these...

BSCENEmag.com | THE Magazine of East Texas!

IN Magazine

Largest Rose Parade in the World.

Tyler Morning Telegraph - Texas Rose Festival continues in Tyler through Sunday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 12:18 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I'd bet that you actually know very little about Waco.

Tyler fashionable? Mmkay..

Waco is closer to Dallas and certainly looks more like it than Tyler does. I know that much.
Treeless prairies?

Yep

Closer to Dallas?

Nope, same EXACT distance...90 miles to Dallas both ways.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:32 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Yeah...its where Johnny Football gets his suits custom tailored.

Harley's for Men Fine Menswear

I also suggest you pick up a copy of these...

BSCENEmag.com | THE Magazine of East Texas!

IN Magazine

Largest Rose Parade in the World.

Tyler Morning Telegraph - Texas Rose Festival continues in Tyler through Sunday
I wonder if that has anything to do with him being from Tyler

Tyler is only fashionable to people who don't have the extra money for Dallas.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:22 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
Non-of those cities are culturally alike in comparison. A true comparison would ask which of the big cities are culturally alike and which of the small cities are culturally alike. The big and small cities have no commonality.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:33 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Who is Sherman because I am from Texas I haven't heard of that name or the history of the name?

She's talking about Richard Sherman man....he "burned" the Atlanta Falcons offense.

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/23/24/37.../3/960x540.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 12-27-2018 at 07:47 AM..

Old 11-25-2014, 08:36 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
She's talking about Richard Sherman man....he "burned" the Atlanta Falcons offense.
Nothing to brag about. The way the Falcons played last year it was hard for a team not to burn them. Sort of like trying not to burn gasoline with a blow torch. But back to the important Sherman. I'm from Georgia but I still know about the Alamo and Sherman's march was more significant than that.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:13 PM

502 posts, read 391,630 times
Can somebody please explain who the hell is Sherman, I know it ain't the football player...

Old 12-27-2018, 02:21 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
Can somebody please explain who the hell is Sherman, I know it ain't the football player...
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I like those pairings. Houston/Beaumont has the oil industry and Dallas/Waco because of the youthful population of Waco due to the university and I'm sure many of them are from Dallas or visit Dallas frequently.

I can't speak on Atlanta/Macon because I know absolutely nothing about Macon and I'm slightly embarrassed that I also don't know who Sherman is. I definitely didn't pay attention in history class. There's little that I even know about Sam Houston or Stephen F. Austin so just imagine how little I know about other notable historical figures in other states. As for European history I can go on for hours and hours with the abundance of history I've studied on it. I love European history.
Sherman was one of the major Union generals during the civil wars, He most known for the campaign "really string of campaigns" known as Sherman's March to the Sea. After the battle of Chattanooga TN on GA border Sherman March to Atlanta fought 13 battles in metro Atlanta eventually burning Atlanta, Then he continue on cutting though Georgia to eventually capturing Savannah. Sherman laid a path devastation to the sea. But he did not go to Macon.

Because Atlanta was destroyed Atlanta has little to noone, antebellum architecture, Atlanta more associated with gilded cities and late industrial era, Atlanta has more in common with Chicago and Cleveland then it does with New Orleans and Charleston. because Sherman didn't go though Macon it spared Macon antebellum architecture. Macon is probably what most people stereotype Georgia or the South at large of being.

https://vanishingnorthgeorgia.files....a-usa-2017.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ouse_Front.jpg

https://res.cloudinary.com/simplevie...4f544ec232.jpg

https://www.visittheusa.com/sites/de...?itok=_Hr-HTKu

Last edited by JMT; 12-27-2018 at 07:48 AM..

Old 12-27-2018, 06:40 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
I have knowledge of each area and I will start with Dallas it seems to me that Tyler,Tx seems to have a similar vibe going on with stuck up people like in Dallas and the loop 323 seem to remind me of loop 12 in Dallas.Atlanta and Macon,ga seem to me kinda different in a way with Atl being more of a hiphop scene and Macon more a country music scene and the people are more friendlier in Atlanta then Macon,ga not knocking Macon but just haven't ran into friendlier people.Houston seem to have rubbed off on Lufkin,Tx with Lufkin trying to build there infrastructure the way Houston is and the vibes are about the same its all about landing a job and raising familys and both cities seem to have nice people.
I would like to get the input of others take on this topic!

This is funny because Macon is a majority black city, Hood City at that, especially on the cities south side while there has been a lot of gentrification in recent years and Downtown seems to be on the up and up. From what I have seen in the Downtown area though, especially with all the gentrification and new loft's, it tends to be majority white, especially with some of the bar scenes.

Old 12-27-2018, 03:42 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Atlanta/Macon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City