Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 11:29 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,140,962 times

Advertisements

Jack, you have misconstrued so much that it doesn't warrant fully addressing. The division only changed last year.

I made my statements about Vegas because I don't believe it is on par with Houston in terms of organically grown talent and critical regionalism. You are harping on this in some weak effort to divert the conversation and save face, as is your M.O.

Are you actually now berating me because I said something positive about a Houston chef?

You lose credibility with each post, so please do have the last word...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 11:35 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,511,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I personally never saw the attraction to Houston but that's me. The city and it's people don't seem to be proud of there city. I have known people from Houston who don't put a positive light on the city. For people in LA, NYC, or Chi and so on you have plenty of people who are proud of there city, that doesn't seem the case in Houston. It's not to say everyone else in the city is this way, this is just my impression.

The fact that the city has the fourth largest population and it doesn't register anywhere else in the US says a lot. Then again population isn't everything.
This post just goes to show the bi-polar attitude many people on CD have towards Houston. Either Houston is promoting itself beyond all reality or this guy who says we are lacking in civic pride.

Most native and longtime residents of Houston see Houston as exceptional. We are usually seen by many, in other parts of the country, as delusional in our self-image.

More than likely you are meeting people who have left Houston probably under less than ideal circumstances and probably feel rejected by the city and are disappointed by their failure. I have met people from just about every major city in the US that have less than ideal attitudes toward the city they hail from. If things had worked out better for them they probably would not have left the city they are originally from. There are exceptions to that of course but for the most part it will hold true.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:38 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,511,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Jack, you have misconstrued so much that it doesn't warrant fully addressing. The division only changed last year.

I made my statements about Vegas because I don't believe it is on par with Houston in terms of organically grown talent and critical regionalism. You are harping on this in some weak effort to divert the conversation and save face, as is your M.O.

Are you actually now berating me because I said something positive about a Houston chef?

You lose credibility with each post, so please do have the last word...
You made a mountain out of a mole hill as is usual for you, glass houses and all that. Last word out!

Old 05-07-2014, 11:59 AM

686 posts, read 1,168,807 times
LOL about civic pride... you mean like people from New Orleans that crow about living in a culturally rich sh@t-hole? Or THE Plethora of Chicago transplants who crow about being from Chicago but say they are never going back? Houstonians are very realistic. We know Houston isn't the sexiest city but it's a very nice place to live and have a decent life. Most people that move here like it and stay. You learn to love it.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:02 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,013,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
The point many make in this regard is that people move to Houston, not necessarily because they "like" it, but because of economic reasons. Plenty find things to like after living there for awhile. It is a big city after all, and once it's in its own context, it's fine.

As an aspirational destination to live or visit, though? Not on anything but a regional level and typically 2nd or 3rd to others in its region.

Hell, I half-way considered moving to Sacramento (the Houston of California) because of a great job offer. I'm sure I would have learned to love it, but decided to follow my heart and take my chances elsewhere.
Houston isn't a thing like Sacramento, Austin is.

Houston is Texas' version of LA on steroids.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I personally never saw the attraction to Houston but that's me. The city and it's people don't seem to be proud of there city. I have known people from Houston who don't put a positive light on the city. For people in LA, NYC, or Chi and so on you have plenty of people who are proud of there city, that doesn't seem the case in Houston. It's not to say everyone else in the city is this way, this is just my impression.

The fact that the city has the fourth largest population and it doesn't register anywhere else in the US says a lot. Then again population isn't everything.
Seriously?!?

Have you listened to any Hip Hop or RnB in the past 29 years?

Geto Boys, Destiny's Child, Beyonce, Paul Wall, UGK?

Last edited by Metro Matt; 05-07-2014 at 12:14 PM..

Old 05-07-2014, 12:10 PM

http://offthefrontporch.files.wordpr...0/dsc_0117.jpg

Old 05-07-2014, 12:13 PM

20,523 posts, read 33,579,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Seriously?!?

Have you listened to any Hip Hop in the past 29 years?
Please don't bring it up. You don't know anything about it.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Please don't bring it up. You don't know anything about it.
What ever dude.

My friends big sister knows Bushwick Bill personally. He's always going into her bar. I had "Mind's Playing Tricks on Me" on cassette when it first came out in 1991. You're way too young to remember Walkman's & mix tapes though so I'll stop right there...

Old 05-07-2014, 12:22 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,429,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston isn't a thing like Sacramento, Austin is.

Houston is Texas' version of LA on steroids.
Saying Houston is LA on steroids is like saying Chicago is New York on steroids.

There's no logic to a statement like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City