Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 05:49 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,142,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Sacramento feels closer to Austin in feel and scale than Houston.
Yes, of course you are right in a size and numbers comparison. In terms of "feel," though, I've found Midtown Sacto and Midtown Houston to be quite similar. Austin seems a bit more urban and lively than either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 05:49 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,023,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Ahem, genius--

Capitol Corridor Trains :: News

You can take a boat down the Sacramento river to the Bay, then ride AMTRAK back to Sacto. Thanks for pointing out another similarity.
Houston's Buffalo Bayou isn't a river its a bayou. Its also a lot closer to the ocean than Sacramento.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 05-07-2014 at 06:02 PM..

Old 05-07-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Ever heard of the Colorado River?

It runs from DT Austin to the Gulf.

Houston's Buffalo Bayou isn't a river its a bayou.
What kind of boat besides a canoe could make that trip? We are talking about navigable waterways and big boats (a high speed catamaran in the case of Sacramento) here. You tried to make a point that Houston was so close that you could take a boat from the ship channel to Galveston Bay as a point of differentiation between it and Sacto. I showed you that you were wrong.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:58 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,546,955 times
Quote:
Yes, of course you are right in a size and numbers comparison. In terms of "feel," though, I've found Midtown Sacto and Midtown Houston to be quite similar. Austin seems a bit more urban and lively than either.
Midtown Sac and Midtown Houston are similar in only the broadest of comparisons(not much). Houston is much more spreadout and multi-nodal--Sacramento has most points of interest in a fairly compact area and is pretty centralized for the most part which is similar to Austin.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:00 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,988,662 times
Stockton also has a waterway that goes to the Coast. Large bulk carrying ships as well. I never hear about Stockton being considered a coastal city either. Houston folks are reaching

Old 05-07-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Stockton also has a waterway that goes to the Coast. Large bulk carrying ships as well. I never hear about Stockton being considered a coastal city either. Houston folks are reaching
Correction: Tyler, TX folks are reaching.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:08 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,023,745 times
Quote:
Harris County (Houston) literally hugs Galveston Bay. How in the world is that not considered "coastal"?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ha...af5277b2bbd2da

Houston is by far the largest metro on the Gulf Coast between Mexico & Florida. You failed Geography if you didn't learn or decipher that. I thought California had an excellent public school system?

San Joaquin County doesn't hug any large bodies of water as you can clearly see here. It does however butt up to a few small waterways that lead to the SF Bay Area.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...242ac1a658dbd1

Last edited by Metro Matt; 05-07-2014 at 06:19 PM..

Old 05-07-2014, 06:12 PM

6,294 posts, read 7,516,456 times
Quote:
The maximum vessel length at the Port of Houston Turning basin (which is well within the COH limits) is 750 feet (228 meters). The average depth of Buffalo Bayou through downtown Houston is 9 feet and at one time was the port of Houston in the days of the steam powered paddle boat.

The Greater Houston area it is a area that is slightly larger than the state of New Jersey and has at least 50 miles of beaches along the Gulf Coast. Remember I told you about the Houston/Galveston area? I wish you would pay attention sometimes you may learn something.

Turning Basin | The Port of Houston Authority

Greater Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-07-2014, 06:15 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,304,457 times
Quote:
Okay, so you agree with Metro Matt that Sacramento is more like all the other cities in Texas except Houston and you agree with the "Society Diaries" in the hometown paper that the recent jewelry exhibit was "bigger than San Francisco's". (What a bizarrely insecure and random thing to say--clearly this writer has a keeping up with the Joneses mentality and she is playing to her audience). Got it. I can't imagine a similar report in SF referencing its size and scope to an event in Houston. That's funny.
Why so much derision towards Houston? Of course everyone is aware of its glaring urban deficiencies. But there is no denying that it has become a powerful metropolis that's leaving its mark -- from its great food and cultural scene to its world class medical facilities to its airport connections to its preeminence in a number of important economic sectors. I, for one, think that comparisons with Sacramento are off base. These cities are not in the same league.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Harris County (Houston) hugs Galveston Bay. How in the world is that not considered "coastal"?

Houston is by far the largest metro on the Gulf Coast between Mexico & Florida.

Harris County Flood Control District - Maps & Exhibits

San Joaquin County doesn't hug any large bodies of water.
You realize that Sacramento County reaches to the delta and Suisan Bay, right? Of course you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City