Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 06:19 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,138,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Why so much derision towards Houston? Of course everyone is aware of its glaring urban deficiencies. But there is no denying that it has become a powerful metropolis that's leaving its mark -- from its great food and cultural scene to its world class medical facilities to its airport connections to its preeminence in a number of important economic sectors. I, for one, think that comparisons with Sacramento are off base. These cities are not in the same league.
I agree with you. I was addressing Matt with regard to the topic of the OP, as to why Houston doesn't receive much "spotlight". In this context, I see a lot of parallels with Sacramento--a similarly derided big city that gets very little "spotlight".

Matt and Jack are not aware of Houston's "glaring urban deficiencies," by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 06:23 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
Quote:
Why so much derision towards Houston? Of course everyone is aware of its glaring urban deficiencies. But there is no denying that it has become a powerful metropolis that's leaving its mark -- from its great food and cultural scene to its world class medical facilities to its airport connections to its preeminence in a number of important economic sectors. I, for one, think that comparisons with Sacramento are off base. These cities are not in the same league.
Of course they're not!

Dalparadise will always down play Houston's importance & role as a world class city till the day he finally can't take it anymore & ends up moving back to Houston.

Sacramento doesn't have the large number of Fortune 500 Companies or the large number of Foreign Consulates or the nations leading seaport Houston has. Largest foreign seaport 2nd largest domestic seaport. Largest medical center in the world. Saudi Kings & Princes have even relied on Houston for 2nd to none medical care.

Totally different leagues we're talking about here.

Sacramento is on Austin's & San Antonio's level.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 05-07-2014 at 06:32 PM..

Old 05-07-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Of course they're not!

Dalparadise will always down play Houston's importance & role as a world class city till the day he finally can't take it anymore & ends up moving back to Houston.

Sacramento doesn't have the large number of Fortune 500 Companies or the large number of Foreign Consulates or the nations leading seaport Houston has.

Totally different leagues we're talking about here.
So, your definition of being defeated is to "move back to Houston," eh? We do agree on something.

If I did go back to Texas--and it would take one hell of a weird set of circumstances to take me back there--I'd choose Austin as the least of all evils.

Somewhere up in Sonoma County would suit me much better for retirement, though.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
So, your definition of being defeated is to "move back to Houston," eh? We do agree on something.

If I did go back to Texas--and it would take one hell of a weird set of circumstances to take me back there, I'd choose Austin as the least of all evils.

Somewhere up in Sonoma County would suit me much better for retirement, though.
You're from the backwoods of Nacogdoches, Texas. You act like you grew up in NYC or something.

Tyler is even more metropolitan than that place.

If the truth were known you were probably raised in a very conservative family typical of small town folk such as yourself & admittedly myself. You can't deny your roots no matter how "big city" you may feel inside now that you live in a 500 square foot efficiency apartment near the Bay Area.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:40 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
Dalparadise is trying to point out that Metro Matt can't have his cake and eat it too. It is off base to say Houston is in the same league as Sacramento just as much as it is off base to say Houston is in the same league as Los Angeles. He will accept the LA/Houston comparison but not Houston/Sacramento mostly because of population and coastal reasons.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:44 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,300,482 times
Quote:
I agree with you. I was addressing Matt with regard to the topic of the OP, as to why Houston doesn't receive much "spotlight". In this context, I see a lot of parallels with Sacramento--a similarly derided big city that gets very little "spotlight".

Matt and Jack are not aware of Houston's "glaring urban deficiencies," by the way.
Well okay dal, but this is still a swipe against Houston (perhaps unintentional) insofar as it suggests that they are equally deserving of a spotlight. Which they are clearly not.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Dalparadise is trying to point out that Metro Matt can't have his cake and eat it too. It is off base to say Houston is in the same league as Sacramento just as much as it is off base to say Houston is in the same league as Los Angeles. He will accept the LA/Houston comparison but not Houston/Sacramento mostly because of population and coastal reasons.
Houston is comparable to LA.

Both scored a 79.6 on diversity.

America's Most and Least Diverse Metros - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities

Houston's metro also has 5 more Fortune 500 Companies than LA.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...0-per-msa.html

Old 05-07-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You're from the backwoods of Nacogdoches, Texas. You act like you grew up in NYC or something.

Tyler is even more metropolitan than that place.
So, now you're going to try a "Cold as War" tactic? I have never denied where I was born, and never really wanted to live in NYC. I wanted to be in San Francisco and now, here I am.

I moved to Houston when I was 17 and got my own apartment at Memorial and Shepherd, in the heart of the city--not some far-flung suburb like you. I also lived in the Heights in a house I bought when I was 23 and a townhouse in Rice Military that I bought when I was 30. I even moved to Dallas for a couple of years.

You are an adult, I'm guessing, who lives at home with his mother in Tyler and fantasizes about Houston. and you want to play the "you were born in Nacogdoches" game? People don't choose where they are born, only what comes after they become adults.

You've chosen Tyler.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
So, now you're going to try a "Cold as War" tactic? I have never denied where I was born, and never really wanted to live in NYC. I wanted to be in San Francisco and now, here I am.

I moved to Houston when I was 17 and got my own apartment at Memorial and Shepherd, in the heart of the city--not some far-flung suburb like you. I also lived in the Heights in a house I bought when I was 23 and a townhouse in Rice Military that I bought when I was 30. I even moved to Dallas for a couple of years.

You are an adult, I'm guessing, who lives at home with his mother in Tyler and fantasizes about Houston. and you want to play the "you were born in Nacogdoches" game? People don't choose where they are born, only what comes after they become adults.

You've chosen Tyler.
I lived in NW Houston right off of 1960 for several years in a not so diverse area & then SW Houston for a year smack dab in the middle of Texas' most diverse area aka Alief. I've had my fair share of city related experiences & cultural awakenings.

That's the cool thing about Houston is you don't have to live right in the heart of the city to experience large amounts of diversity. In fact, the majority of Texas' diversity is actually found in the suburbs, not the city itself where you claim you lived. Memorial & The Heights is predominately White & not that much different than NW Houston in that aspect.

I'd put Alief's per capita diversity up against the Bay Area's any day of the week or year.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Well okay dal, but this is still a swipe against Houston (perhaps unintentional) insofar as it suggests that they are equally deserving of a spotlight. Which they are clearly not.
I don't mean to actually suggest they are substantively similar, just that they are both big cities that are either justly or unjustly overlooked for a lot of similar reasons and similar "urban deficiencies," as you put it. Each seems to also lack a solid, marketable identity or draw for visitors and from a national perspective, each seems to live in the shadows of other cities within its state and region in this regard.

I spent 20+ years in Houston, and am well aware of its positives. It is a great place to live for many people, but not a positive environment for creative professionals like me. It is also a poor example of an urban environment, which exacerbates the bad creative environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City