Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 07:06 PM

6,295 posts, read 7,519,793 times

Advertisements

I'm not a big fan of urbanity just for the sake of urbanity. When it occurs as a organic consequence of the free market then it is what it is. But bringing about a dense urban landscape simply to pander to pier pressure is way to contrived for me.

For what its worth, I like dal's outlier analogy with Houston being coastal and not situated along the I-35 corridor like the other inland metros in Texas. But Houston subsidence in the spotlight of Texas has only been recent at least by historical terms. In the 60's and 70's Houston was by far the brightest light in Texas. I have always thought that the national medias recent fascination with other Metros in Texas was a way to counter the national insurgence of Houston in an attempt to contain it somehow.

The development of some kind of indigenous media that will allow Houston to control its own message and a return to manned spaceflight by NASA will help bring that spotlight back to Space City, but even without a robust manned space program the local economy will keep on churning and attract new people to our grand town....

Last edited by Jack Lance; 05-07-2014 at 07:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 07:06 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,144,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I lived in NW Houston right off of 1960 for several years in a not so diverse area & then SW Houston for a year smack dab in the middle of Texas' most diverse area aka Alief. I've had my fair share of city related experiences & cultural awakenings.

That's the cool thing about Houston is you don't have to live right in the heart of the city to experience large amounts of diversity. In fact, the majority of Texas' diversity is actually found in the suburbs, not the city itself where you claim you lived.

I'd put Alief's per capita diversity up against the Bay Area's any day.
Right, so you lived in far-flung suburbs, then ran home to mommy in Tyler. What in the world is "per capita diversity"?

Old 05-07-2014, 07:15 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,305,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I don't mean to actually suggest they are substantively similar, just that they are both big cities that are either justly or unjustly overlooked for a lot of similar reasons and similar "urban deficiencies," as you put it. Each seems to also lack a solid, marketable identity or draw for visitors and from a national perspective, each seems to live in the shadows of other cities within its state and region in this regard.

I spent 20+ years in Houston, and am well aware of its positives. It is a great place to live for many people, but not a positive environment for creative professionals like me. It is also a poor example of an urban environment, which exacerbates the bad creative environment.
Is that true though? I've always thought of Houston as the top dog in Texas. Whose shadow is it in - Dallas?

I know Austin has been the "hot" city in Texas for quite awhile but there is no question Houston has a much higher national (and certainly global) profile.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:16 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,028,922 times
Quote:
Right, so you lived in far-flung suburbs, then ran home to mommy in Tyler. What in the world is "per capita diversity"?
Alief is 11.1% White, 27.4% Black, 21.2% Asian, & 37.9% Hispanic.

San Francisco is 48.5% White, 6.1% Black, 33.3% Asian, & 15.1% Hispanic.

As a White person you are 5 times more likely to bump into someone of different race in Alief than San Francisco.

Houston is 50.5% White, 23.7% Black, 6% Asian, & 43.8% Hispanic.

So much for San Francisco being a "world class" city. Blacks & Hispanics are barely even represented there! LOL

All the Blacks are across the segregated Bay in Oakland & all the Hispanics are 48 miles south in San Jose.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 05-07-2014 at 07:25 PM..

Old 05-07-2014, 07:24 PM

213 posts, read 389,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Is that true though? I've always thought of Houston as the top dog in Texas. Whose shadow is it in - Dallas?

I know Austin has been the "hot" city in Texas for quite awhile but there is no question Houston has a much higher national (and certainly global) profile.

Houston and Dallas unknowingly seem to be in each other shadows for over 4 decades now.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:31 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,989,265 times
Quote:

As a White person you are 5 times more likely to bump into someone of different race in Alief than San Francisco.

So much for San Francisco being a "world class" city. Blacks & Hispanics are barely even represented there! LOL

All the Blacks are across the segregated Bay in Oakland & all the Hispanics are 48 miles south in San Jose.
Take a trip into the Mission District and in the Southeast quadrant of San Francisco then report back. You have no idea what garbage you are typing up

Old 05-07-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:

I believe the OP was speaking to the Pop culture media spotlight which unfortunately has a lot of influence over the attitudes of the average American.

Of course Houston is Top Dog in Texas but is in the shadow of Pop Culture these days.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:47 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,144,070 times
Quote:

In terms of marketable identity and draw for tourists state-wide and regionally, I think Houston is below Dallas, Austin, San Antonio and certainly, New Orleans.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
In terms of marketable identity and draw for tourists state-wide and regionally, I think Houston is below Dallas, Austin, San Antonio and certainly, New Orleans.
Funny thing about New Orleans is they built the Superdome as a direct result of the Astrodome in Houston making Houston a greater tourist attraction than New Orleans. Whether they admit it or not all the cities in Texas compare themselves to Houston as a means to measure themselves and that gives them a sense of camaraderie with each other.

Well we will see if the Texans pick Johnny Football tomorrow maybe he will bring tourism back to Houston

Old 05-07-2014, 08:42 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,876,711 times
Quote:

In Alief you're also more likely to get shot, raped, mugged, car jacked, and assaulted walking down the street. Alief is not a place worth bragging about. You're crazy if you think there isn't just as much segregation in Houston. See if any of those blacks in Alief can take a stroll into Royal Oaks. That wall surrounding Royal Oaks is there to keep out Alief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City