Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 10:24 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,793,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Reliant Stadium has the largest HD video board in the world. Its almost 100 yards long...as long as the field itself. Nothing surpasses that.
False, Texas Motor Speeway surpassed it a while back. Reliant's is longer, but overall the Speedway's is bigger. It doesn't even matter anyways cause I think they've both been surpassed by a lot or will be by some in China.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/texas...gest-hd-screen

TMS 73 x 32 yards
Reliant 92 x 17 yards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 12:15 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,027,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I moved to Houston voluntarily during the worst economic times in the city's history. And I benefited from Houston's rebound. Houston was good to me, but I outgrew it. I maxed out my career in a creative field and Houston left me no room to grow.

So, in the middle of a terrible recession, I left the comfort and security of a six-figure job in an inexpensive, but creatively vanilla market with no upward mobility to move to a very expensive, but dynamic market with great growth potential.

That's the difference for creative professionals. I've seen it across multiple industries in Houston. Dallas works a bit better. Austin, per capita, is much better, but is really small for creative professionals. So, many leave Texas for NYC, LA, Chicago or SF. That's not knocking Houston. That's just how it is.

I do know this-- if I were in some kind of accounting, energy, or medical field, where moving to Houston would greatly advance my growth opportunity, I'd still be hesitant to leave a place like San Francisco for Houston and sacrifice my quality of life issues.

Of course, the fact that I don't have kids makes such a decision much easier. If it were all about economics and feeding people who counted on me, it would be a much different story.
You never lived in Houston during the 1980's oil bust or Great Depression so stop lying.

Houston barely felt the Recession of 2008 anyways. Sure some businesses cut back, but that's because they fell for the hype going on outside of Texas in states such as California. We in Texas were fairing quite well compared to the rest of the nation.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:19 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,143,755 times
I moved to Houston in 1987. The place was a ghost town. Why would you say I didn't live there in the '80s?

Furthermore, why would you say it so confidently? Did you not read the above post about your reckless and untruthful posting?

My first apartment was at Memorial and Shepherd, with a patio with a skyline view. $395 per month, all bills paid. People thought that was crazy expensive, too.

Last edited by dalparadise; 05-09-2014 at 12:34 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 02:17 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,153,400 times
Dee936 showing how smart them native Texans are.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:36 PM

20,524 posts, read 33,602,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Dee936 showing how smart them native Texans are.
Really? We going there?

Old 05-09-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Really? We going there?
She does perpetuate some hard-to-shake stereotypes.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:53 PM

6,294 posts, read 7,518,710 times
Remember internet posters are not licensed or even vetted so there is no way to prove anybody is actually from anywhere in particular. There are Moles everywhere pretending to be from, or have some loyalty to someplace, that their not, and don't.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Remember internet posters are not licensed or even vetted so there is no way to prove anybody is actually from anywhere in particular. There are Moles everywhere pretending to be from, or have some loyalty to someplace, that their not, and don't.
Yes, you are known to accuse anyone with a dissenting opinion from yours of being a "mole". What proof do you have of your location, besides your obtuse observations and weirdly neocon opinions?

Old 05-10-2014, 09:38 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,937,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Just as Dallas (Arlington tax payers & Jerry Jones really) built Cowboys Stadium out of pure jealousy of Reliant Stadium...
Uh... no.

Jerry actually had this stadium in mind for YEARS. Texas Stadium (even though I miss it) was a dump even when he took over the Cowboys in the late 80's.

The stadium could have been in Dallas, but you can thank Laura Miller and several other issues for them landing in Arlington instead.

As a Tarrant County resident, though, I'm not complaining. Dallas has enough as it is...

As for Houston... I have nothing bad to say about it considering it's practically a 2nd home for me.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:01 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,516,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Lets stay on topic Houston is shining the person who came up with this topic make not like Houston but I don't like Chicago and did I make up a thread on how Chicago isn't shining really klamo!!!
Houston numbers show for themselves and Houston is still heading toward the stars while small minded people are bashing the BIg H-Town ha ha ha!!!!

I will say this NYC is the Gold of the USA
I will say this L.A. is the silver of the USA
I will say this Chicago is ruby red jewel of the USA
I will say this Houston is the Diamond of the USA
I will say this Dallas is just the Diamond that sparkle thats it.

These cities have the best metros of the US of A and others need to catch up!!!

You have cities that have special things about them like cities with 500 people or cities with 500,000 people but these cities are international cities.Houston is at 2.2 million and Chicago is at 2.7million.
I do know the census be off on just a little for alot of cities but Houston has alot of immigrants from Mexico that wasn't counted and I promise you those numbers would have added several hundred thousand people to the city trust me.:s hocked:
These poster be going to bat for Texas, baby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City