Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 04:13 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,845,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
On another note, We know what you think about Houston westhou don't even pretend that you have any respect for it.
He's right. You can throw Dallas in that boat too.

Both amazing cities for living, not amazing for visiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 04:20 PM

6,303 posts, read 7,555,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
If I'm going to go somewhere for a beach, it's not going to be the Houston area. I'm going to go to Florida, South Carolina, California,Puerto Rico or Hawaii, or out of the US entirely. Most people in the country are like this and most people who visit Texas for beaches go to South Padre Island (which is not near Houston) or Corpus Christi (still 250 miles away). Nobody goes to Houston nor Chicago for the beaches alone so what's your point?
You can go to Galveston especially on a holiday weekend and you will in fact find a lot of people from the upper Midwest and Northeast as well, who chose Galveston over those other areas, perhaps for the value (cheaper) or perhaps just to avoid the douches that flock to more renown beaches. Point is if you have been to Galveston then you did find a reason to go to the Houston area. If you are posting hear say and you have not been personally then you are selling an area cheap, that is a lot better than the haters claim.

Last edited by Jack Lance; 05-06-2014 at 04:42 PM..

Old 05-06-2014, 04:54 PM

15,323 posts, read 24,043,491 times
The beaches in Galveston are OK - not terrible but nothing special. I wouldn't travel by plane just to get to them. I've never heard of anybody going to Galveston, TX from the upper midwest for the beaches, and I grew up in the upper midwest. When people wanted beach that I grew up with, they went to Florida or California. The only people I know who went to Texas for a beach went to South Padre Island.

Regardless, this is about the city of Houston, not a city 45-50 miles away and there's no beaches in the city of Houston itself. Regardless, I can't think of much else to take in, in Houston, other than sporting events. I've heard of more food places in Austin than I have in Houston, but I know Houston has some good food. Would I travel to get some? Don't know about that.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:56 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,911,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I'm sorry, but I SO don't get why there are repeated threads that are about things that are exclusively Texas on the General US and City v City forums. Nothing against the state, but understand that you are not the center of the Universe. No other state does this. It's annoying.
Lets get this straight real quick Texas has some the largest cities and metros in America and if it was Dallas in the state of Georgia and not Atlanta then you see Dallas name up fewer times because it wouldn't have any other major metros in the state.Please don't hate on Texas guess what this isn't going to stop on C-D and if you don't like it well cover your eyes or skip when you see Texas or the cities ok then.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:10 PM

23,586 posts, read 44,344,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Lets get this straight real quick Texas has some the largest cities and metros in America and if it was Dallas in the state of Georgia and not Atlanta then you see Dallas name up fewer times because it wouldn't have any other major metros in the state.Please don't hate on Texas guess what this isn't going to stop on C-D and if you don't like it well cover your eyes or skip when you see Texas or the cities ok then.
I'm not 'hating on Texas'. I'm simply asserting that these threads that keep popping up on the General US and City v City forums that have nothing to do with anything but Texas (and there have been several) are not appropriate here. They belong in the Texas forums. I frankly don't see what's so controversial about such a statement.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:21 PM

6,303 posts, read 7,555,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The beaches in Galveston are OK - not terrible but nothing special. I wouldn't travel by plane just to get to them. I've never heard of anybody going to Galveston, TX from the upper midwest for the beaches, and I grew up in the upper midwest. When people wanted beach that I grew up with, they went to Florida or California. The only people I know who went to Texas for a beach went to South Padre Island.

Regardless, this is about the city of Houston, not a city 45-50 miles away and there's no beaches in the city of Houston itself. Regardless, I can't think of much else to take in, in Houston, other than sporting events. I've heard of more food places in Austin than I have in Houston, but I know Houston has some good food. Would I travel to get some? Don't know about that.
There are people on Galveston beaches from all over. A lot of people like the prices of the beach front condo's and other properties which are considerably cheaper in Galveston than some of those other beaches. There will probably be 500k visitors there this Memorial Day weekend. The Island will be jumping...

Galveston is part of the Greater Houston Area. If you see Fort Worth as part of the Dallas metro then Galveston is a part of Houston, maybe even more so, since Galveston is where people in Houston go, for the most part, to go to a beach. I grew up in an area called Houston/Galveston the Catholic church calls it the Galveston/Houston diocese. Galveston is Houston's beach

Old 05-06-2014, 05:32 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,587,212 times
Mostly because the stars at night are big and bright.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:57 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,911,879 times
Lets stay on topic Houston is shining the person who came up with this topic make not like Houston but I don't like Chicago and did I make up a thread on how Chicago isn't shining really klamo!!!
Houston numbers show for themselves and Houston is still heading toward the stars while small minded people are bashing the BIg H-Town ha ha ha!!!!

I will say this NYC is the Gold of the USA
I will say this L.A. is the silver of the USA
I will say this Chicago is ruby red jewel of the USA
I will say this Houston is the Diamond of the USA
I will say this Dallas is just the Diamond that sparkle thats it.

These cities have the best metros of the US of A and others need to catch up!!!

You have cities that have special things about them like cities with 500 people or cities with 500,000 people but these cities are international cities.Houston is at 2.2 million and Chicago is at 2.7million.
I do know the census be off on just a little for alot of cities but Houston has alot of immigrants from Mexico that wasn't counted and I promise you those numbers would have added several hundred thousand people to the city trust me.:s hocked:

Last edited by dee936; 05-06-2014 at 06:34 PM..

Old 05-06-2014, 06:34 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,177,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Lets stay on topic Houston is shining the person who came up with this topic make not like Houston but I don't like Chicago and did I make up a thread on how Chicago isn't shining really klamo!!!
Houston numbers show for themselves and Houston is still heading toward the stars while small minded people are bashing the BIg H-Town ha ha ha!!!!

I will say this NYC is the Gold of the USA
I will say this L.A. is the silver of the USA
I will say this Chicago is ruby red jewel of the USA
I will say this Houston is the Diamond of the USA
I will say this Dallas is just the Diamond that sparkle thats it.

These cities have the best metros of the US of A and others need to catch up!!!

You have cities that have special things about them like cities with 500 people or cities with 500,000 people but these cities are international cities.Houston is at 2.2 million and Chicago is at 2.7million.
I do know the census be off on just a little for alot of cities but Houston has alot of immigrants from Mexico that wasn't counted and I promise you those numbers would have added several hundred people to the city trust me.:s hocked:
Have you even graduated high school yet? Seriously.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:34 PM

2,042 posts, read 1,997,695 times
These threads are popping up because Houston homers believe their population numbers have made their city relevant with other US star cities. Houston is a joke!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City