Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 08:45 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,986,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_wu View Post
I live in Dallas and really enjoy the area since I moved to TX. I visit Houston at least once a year and love the nightlife n have great attractions along with a world-class natural history Museum.

It seems it's a world outside of Texas give more publicly to Dallas area or even the Austin area. I always wondered why the was the case...
Houston doesn't promote itself the way Dallas & Austin do, that's why. Its the kinda city that you either love it or hate it, no grey area. Houston just doesn't seem to care & its perfectly fine that way because it weeds out all the fake, pretentious people & idiot Hipsters. Not the case in Austin & Dallas where if you don't just absolutely gloat over their city they get offended by it.

That being said, Houston & Fort Worth are similar. They're constantly being run into the ground & bullied by those other 2 cities.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 05-07-2014 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 09:04 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I didn't post that link to tout the JBF awards. I posted it because it was a convenient way to identify the name of 3 highly regarded restaurants in Houston which another poster asked me to do.

I did know what the foundation was as I heard the story of the award on local TV earlier today. Admittedly if you had asked me a week ago what the JBF award was it would not have come immediately to mind. OTOH You weren't exactly up on the JBF award yourself guy. First you agreed with me that Nevada was a part of the Southwest division then you said it wasn't without realizing that a realignment had recently taken place, you only realized your mistake when another poster informed you of your error. So don't act like you are an expert in JBF history or relevance. One can only wonder how much searching you did before you weighed in on the subject in the first place.

Again the question is "why does the spotlight not shine brightest on Houston in Texas" Is it because Los Vegas was in our division in the JBF awards? You cannot say Chris Shepard would not have won this award if Vegas restaurants were still his competitors, but you can say that no other Texas chefs would have won this year.
First, I corrected my own error about Nevada. Second, I informed you about the significance of the JBF, as you talked about it like you had no idea what it was. You heard it mentioned earlier on TV?! Pardon me for doubting your expertise on the matter.

The JBF Awards make national news every year. As I told you, they are the most highly coveted culinary awards in the country. NYC, Chicago and San Francisco typically dominate the national awards. SF, for instance, has had the winner for Outstanding Restaurant in 2012 and 2014. It had the winner for Best New Restaurant in 2013. The NATIONAL awards.

You touted Houston's regional win like it was a national win because you didn't understand the award, stating with pride that it was "the first time since 1992 that a Houston chef had won Best Chef Southwest." That shocked me, honestly, as I assumed there had to be others over the years (I was giving Houston undue credit), and I thought for sure that I remembered Monica Pope had scored one back in the Boulevard Bistrot days. She deserved it, by the way.

The realignment happened last year. This year, a Houston chef scores the city's first REGIONAL award in 22 years. You, being the JBF scholar that you are, chalk this up to coincidence.

Okay, sure.

Houstonians seem to be crowing about the same 3-4 restaurants for the past few years as proof that they are a national culinary player. I maintain that it takes more than that to garner the "spotlight". It takes creativity, a regionalism Houston hasn't had since Robert Del Grande was relevant, and yes--an educated foodie community. It really requires culinary tourism to be on the national map, too. It also takes more than 3-4 restaurants. The two national winners I mentioned in SF aren't the only two making noise in the City or the region. They aren't even regarded as the best. They are in a crowded field and doing an outstanding job.

Bottom line: In response to a subject you initiated on a national forum, I politely took you through your obvious misconceptions about the relevance of the JBF Awards and the significance of Houston's regional win and you developed an attitude about it. You are part of Houston's problem, not its solution.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:06 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston doesn't promote itself the way Dallas & Austin do, that's why. Its the kinda city that you either love it or hate it, no grey area. Houston just doesn't seem to care & its perfectly fine that way because it weeds out all the fake, pretentious people & idiot Hipsters. Not the case in Austin & Dallas where if you don't just absolutely gloat over their city they get offended by it.

That being said, Houston & Fort Worth are similar. They're constantly being run into the ground & bullied by those other 2 cities.
How does a city bully another city?

This is where gsupstate was talking about when it comes to insecurities regarding aspects of Houston.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:15 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

There needs to be a national symposium on city bullying.

I may write Obama's office today. The livelihoods of hundreds of cities are being destroyed every year.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:19 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
As a northerner I think Houston gets more press than either Dallas or San Antonio. You don't hear much anything about Dallas.

That said though, Dallas and Houston aren't really vacation desitinations for those outside of Texas - so most people outside Texas have no personal attraction or insight. They don't research the cities and learn up on them. I've never heard anyone say they're going on a family vacation to Dallas/Houston. I do know people who have been to San Antonio, and Austin has its fair share of visitors.

I've spent a fair amount of time in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and Austin. I would say my personal favorite was probably tied between Dallas/San Antonio because I liked Dallas overall, but San Antonio jumped ahead on stuff to do downtown (while I didn't care much for the rest of the area). Austin was ok, and then Houston I just didn't "get", but obviously a lot of people like the city enough to move there.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:03 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
As a northerner I think Houston gets more press than either Dallas or San Antonio. You don't hear much anything about Dallas.

That said though, Dallas and Houston aren't really vacation desitinations for those outside of Texas - so most people outside Texas have no personal attraction or insight. They don't research the cities and learn up on them. I've never heard anyone say they're going on a family vacation to Dallas/Houston. I do know people who have been to San Antonio, and Austin has its fair share of visitors.

I've spent a fair amount of time in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and Austin. I would say my personal favorite was probably tied between Dallas/San Antonio because I liked Dallas overall, but San Antonio jumped ahead on stuff to do downtown (while I didn't care much for the rest of the area). Austin was ok, and then Houston I just didn't "get", but obviously a lot of people like the city enough to move there.
The point many make in this regard is that people move to Houston, not necessarily because they "like" it, but because of economic reasons. Plenty find things to like after living there for awhile. It is a big city after all, and once it's in its own context, it's fine.

As an aspirational destination to live or visit, though? Not on anything but a regional level and typically 2nd or 3rd to others in its region.

Hell, I half-way considered moving to Sacramento (the Houston of California) because of a great job offer. I'm sure I would have learned to love it, but decided to follow my heart and take my chances elsewhere.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:05 AM

686 posts, read 1,167,470 times
As a NATIVE Houstonian I find that we are victim of our own success. There is a prevalent attitude from leaders that we are doing something right being that our economy has been outperforming the rest of the Nation for a very long period of time. It's also uber Capitalism where if don't make dollars then it don't make sense attitude. It's the if it ain't broke, don't fix it attitude.

There are a lot of things that can be done to make the city better in so many areas such as tourism, transportation, etc..... but there is not the political will to make it happen as entrenched business interest often gets the final say so. I don't like it, an ultimately think that attitude will eventually bite us in the @rss, but it is what it is.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:54 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

I totally agree on this. I know people who have taken vacations to Austin and San Antonio (and South Padre Island), but never a non-business/family one to Houston. The people I know who have visited Houston have gone for business or because they needed to visit family there. I've known a few people who've gone to Dallas for vacation too, but not many. A few for business but it's usually Austin and sometimes SA.

I do think that a lot of people move to Houston for jobs initially, not necessarily because they found the city amazing during some visit. Thta's what I've heard, at least.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:02 AM

6,290 posts, read 7,496,381 times
Quote:

Not since 1992 when RDG + Bar Annie chef/owner Robert Del Grande was named Best Chef Southwest has a Houston chef been awarded that prestigious title.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Did you verify that?! It really surprises me.
Quote:
Yes, several other articles also site that it is the first win for a Houston chef since 1992.

The southwest division includes Arizona, Nevada, Utah and Colorado as well. Las Vegas chefs have done quit well and Austin chefs have won a couple as well
Quote:
I'm aware of what the division includes. Besides Vegas, what city in that group is a culinary leader? I still say it's only Dallas. With that in mind, what restaurants in Vegas are producing leading chefs or original cuisine, as opposed to importing from NYC, LA and SF? The answer is, not many. Houston should be walking away with these awards every year, right?
Quote:
By the way, I just checked and Nevada is NOT included in Houston's division. (I was also mistaken in thinking it was)So, Houston doesn't dominate the culinary capitals of Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, and other cities in Texas, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
NV was included in the Southwest region until 2013. It has only just changed to the Western region. So actually in the years that it has only included the states you listed, Houston has dominated with their most recent win.

James Beard Foundation Announces Changes To 2013 Restaurant And Chef Regional Awards Categories : Press Releases on StarChefs

Of course I should add that when Austin won best chef in 2011 and 2012, it did include NV, so we didn't seem to have much problem beating the Las Vegas chefs...
Quote:
Okay that explains a lot. I was confused,
^^^^^^^The quote captures above are provided free of charge ^^^^^^^

Quote:
First, I corrected my own error about Nevada. Second, I informed you about the significance of the JBF, as you talked about it like you had no idea what it was. You heard it mentioned earlier on TV?! Pardon me for doubting your expertise on the matter.
You corrected your own error, then erroneously operated on the belief that Los Vegas had never been in the SW division, this after doubling down on Vegas and dissing Vagas as a New York leach with little to nothing original to offer. Finally you were set straight by another poster after admitting to your confusion, not an indication of expertise

Quote:
The JBF Awards make national news every year. As I told you, they are the most highly coveted culinary awards in the country. NYC, Chicago and San Francisco typically dominate the national awards. SF, for instance, has had the winner for Outstanding Restaurant in 2012 and 2014. It had the winner for Best New Restaurant in 2013. The NATIONAL awards.
And every year I hear about them then promptly forget who they are until I'm reminded the next year after reading about it or seeing it on some newscast or foodie show. Remember Houston Chefs are not perennial winners of this award.

Quote:
You touted Houston's regional win like it was a national win because you didn't understand the award, stating with pride that it was "the first time since 1992 that a Houston chef had won Best Chef Southwest." That shocked me, honestly, as I assumed there had to be others over the years (I was giving Houston undue credit), and I thought for sure that I remembered Monica Pope had scored one back in the Boulevard Bistrot days. She deserved it, by the way..
Ah so a Houston chef did get cheated.

you misstate the "discussion". I did not state with pride that Houston had not won the award since 1992 or that is was a "national" award. The article that I pasted from starts out saying "Not since 1992 when RDG + Bar Annie chef/owner Robert Del Grande was named Best Chef Southwest has a Houston chef been awarded that prestigious title" This is not stated with pride but as a matter of fact.

Quote:
The realignment happened last year. This year, a Houston chef scores the city's first REGIONAL award in 22 years. You, being the JBF scholar that you are, chalk this up to coincidence. Okay, sure...
You cannot say it wasn't coincidence unless of course a Vagas chef won the national award as well.

Quote:
Houstonians seem to be crowing about the same 3-4 restaurants for the past few years as proof that they are a national culinary player. I maintain that it takes more than that to garner the "spotlight". It takes creativity, a regionalism Houston hasn't had since Robert Del Grande was relevant, and yes--an educated foodie community. It really requires culinary tourism to be on the national map, too. It also takes more than 3-4 restaurants. The two national winners I mentioned in SF aren't the only two making noise in the City or the region. They aren't even regarded as the best. They are in a crowded field and doing an outstanding job. ...
Comparing Houston to San Francisco or even the western region of the JBF is off topic, but always seems to happen. If you want to make the case that Austin or Dallas are better restaurant destinations then by all means do.

Quote:
Bottom line: In response to a subject you initiated on a national forum, I politely took you through your obvious misconceptions about the relevance of the JBF Awards and the significance of Houston's regional win and you developed an attitude about it. You are part of Houston's problem, not its solution.
OK Eldridge Cleaver, you are an expert in the James Beard Foundation awards and your mistakes as to its makeup and history should not mislead us to any other conclusion

Old 05-07-2014, 11:22 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,833 times
I personally never saw the attraction to Houston but that's me. The city and it's people don't seem to be proud of there city. I have known people from Houston who don't put a positive light on the city. For people in LA, NYC, or Chi and so on you have plenty of people who are proud of there city, that doesn't seem the case in Houston. It's not to say everyone else in the city is this way, this is just my impression.

The fact that the city has the fourth largest population and it doesn't register anywhere else in the US says a lot. Then again population isn't everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City