Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 06:28 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times

Advertisements

#1) Minneapolis vs Boston
#2) Fort Worth vs Seattle
#3) New York vs New Orleans
#4) LA vs Miami
#5)Chicago vs Pittsburgh
#6) Houston vs Savannah
#7) Philly vs Columbus
#8) Kansas City vs Memphis
#9) San Antonio vs Bismark
#10)San Diego vs Charlotte
#11) Dallas vs Nashville
#12) Honolulu vs Laguna Beach
#13) Austin vs Portland
#14) St.Louis vs Detroit
#15) Cleveland vs Albuquerque
#16) San Francisco vs Washington DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 06:33 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times
#3) New York vs New Orleans. I like both cities, but this is a bit of a mismatch.
#4) LA vs Miami
#5)Chicago vs Pittsburgh.
#6) Houston vs Savannah
#7) Philly vs Columbus
#11) Dallas vs Nashville
#13) Austin vs Portland
#14) St.Louis vs Detroit

Old 05-09-2014, 02:44 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
#4) LA vs Miami
#5) Chicago vs Pittsburgh.
#6) Houston vs Savannah
#7) Philly vs Columbus
#10) San Diego vs Charlotte
#11) Dallas vs Nashville
#13) Austin vs Portland
#14) St.Louis vs Detroit

Old 05-09-2014, 07:50 AM

338 posts, read 446,983 times
#4) LA vs Miami
#5)Chicago vs Pittsburgh
#6) Houston vs Savannah
#7) Philly vs Columbus
#11) Dallas vs Nashville
#13) Austin vs Portland
#14) St.Louis vs Detroit

Old 05-09-2014, 09:12 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
1) Minneapolis vs Boston... Boston... LOVE both of these cities, but Boston's urbanity and built environment/history is too much for Minneapolis. Personally Minneapolis would win against most cities in the US though as its highly underrated and when you add St Paul (soon to be connected via light rail!) it's just an awsome region, people there are super active, transit is coming around, downtown baseball etc. Boston is off the charts awesome though.

#2) Fort Worth vs Seattle...Seattle... Fort Worth is an interesting place that embraces its cowtown heritage which is cool, but not really my thing. Nice to see so much new urban residential in Fort Worth though, but Seattle still wins by quite a bit. The scenery in Seattle is killer, PNW location, super busy and vibrant downtown, lots of transit options, West Seattle, amazing suburbs, yea Seattle wins..

#3) New York vs New Orleans..New York... Any city will lose when put up against NYC, nothing personal New Orleans. NO is by far one of the most unique cities in the US, but I think living there on a day to day basis would not be all that ideal.

4) LA vs Miami...LA...LA...Miami is great, Miami Beach is fun, but LA is in a different league. Downtown LA still leaves a bit to be desired (although getting better), other areas of LA (such as Koreatown) are far more urban than people realize and there is just more to do in LA.

#5)Chicago vs Pittsburgh..Chicago...This is actually a close one for me, but Chicago just has more to offer. For a smaller city, Pittsburgh definitely holds its own though. Awesome urban (downtown rivers etc) and out state recreation in PA. Downtown sports venues, dense downtown, incredible city neighborhoods in super hilly terrain, but Chicago has the lake front, tons and tons more to do. Chicago just sucks in the winter.

#6) Houston vs Savannah... Houston... Savannah is quite a vibrant little historic city with a bustling tree filled downtown, but Houston is obviously going to offer much more. Houston gets a bit of a bad rap but it has some really great urban neighborhoods. Love the Bayou greenways near downtown, nice theatre scene etc.

#7) Philly vs Columbus... Philly... I really like Columbus a lot, nice urban recreation along the riverfront, great city neighborhoods, but it's lacking that big city vibe and with only NHL, it has too much of a college town culture for me. It's hard to compete with the urban grit and history that makes Philly amazing.

#8) Kansas City vs Memphis...Kansas City... Memphis is an okay place to visit for a couple of days and has some nice city neighborhoods and the riverfront parks are great, but KC offers a much more complete package (big city amenities, stronger economy, nicer city overall etc) for a large metro area. KC is very underrated and just offers a lot more to do and a better QOL than Memphis. KC acts like a city of 3 million, Memphis acts like a city of 1 million.

#9) San Antonio vs Bismark..San Antonio... I like SA, it's one of the more unique cities in America and it's starting to develop an urban lifestyle away from the riverwalk (although the river walk is still pretty cool). Bismark is in a neat part of the country but far too small and remote for my liking.

10)San Diego vs Charlotte...San Diego... Charlotte is growing fast and building up their downtown more each year, but has a long way to go to match a more mature city like SD and Downtown SD is no slouch, it might actually be growing faster than Charlotte. Trolley system is great, closer beaches, amusement parks, gaslamp district booming near ballpark, Not really close here.

#11) Dallas vs Nashville...Dallas ... Nashville is a cool city that has one of the best city brands, some nice urban recreation etc, but Dallas just has a lot more to do and despite its reputation for sprawl has a booming downtown residential scene and has built a decent light rail system.

#12) Honolulu vs Laguna Beach..Honolulu... Probably no need to explain here. LB is nice, but come on.

#13) Austin vs Portland...Portland... These cities are far more similar than a lot of people probably know although I think Austin has a MUCH stronger economy. Austin has an AMAZING urban recreation scene on par with places like Boston and Chicago and is building new high-rises at incredible rates, but the city is seriously lacking in big city amenities. I choose Portland because I much prefer the Pacific NW over Texas in general. Being close to Seattle and Vancouver is a huge plus too.

#14) St.Louis vs Detroit...St Louis... Detroit is going to see a major urban revival in the next decade I think, but St Louis is probably one of the most underrated metros in the country. Tons to do, nice location, cool city neighborhoods, nice suburbs in pretty topography, fairly urban, historic and one of the bigger city feels for its "flyover" location.

#15) Cleveland vs Albuquerque.. Cleveland... Albuquerque is a fun place to visit and NM is an interesting area that offers some great recreation, but as far as cities go, Cleveland is obviously on a different level. Cleveland offers some really nice urban areas near downtown, an established transit system, pro sports and Cedar Point is just down the road!

#16) San Francisco vs Washington DC...Washington DC... This one is not easy. I think the Bay area and the DC/Baltimore region are very comparable because they offer so much to do, so much recreation, so many urban areas and big city attractions, but I think I will give DC the edge here do to its location within the urban Northeast corridor. I also like the more varied weather.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:16 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,245 times
Minneapolis
Seattle
New York City
Los Angeles
Chicago
Savannah
Philadelphia
Kansas City
San Antonio
Charlotte
Dallas
Honolulu
Austin
Detroit
Albuquerque
Washington, DC

I've been voting based purely on which city of the two I'd rather live, visit or that I could see myself in for whatever reason. It's my own feel for which one is more comfortable to me and to my liking, not which one is bigger or better in any quantifiable way, has nicer scenery, etc. And since in a couple of cases two cities have been listed from the same metro I'm basing it on the cities themselves, not entire metros.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:44 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,676,127 times
#4) LA vs Miami
#5) Chicago vs Pittsburgh.
#6) Houston vs Savannah
#7) Philly vs Columbus
#10) San Diego vs Charlotte
#11) Dallas vs Nashville
#13) Austin vs Portland
#14) St.Louis vs Detroit

Old 05-09-2014, 03:18 PM

895 posts, read 1,240,345 times
A friend also wanted to vote

She did

Minneapolis
Fort worth
New York
Miami
Chicago
Houston
Columbus
Memphis
Bismark
Charlotte
Dallas
Honolulu
Austin
Detroit
Cleveland
Washington DC

So far a lot of surprises...most of extremely close as well.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:23 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
1. Boston
2. Seattle
3. New York
4. LA
5. Chicago
6. Houston
7. Philly
8. Kansas city
9. San Antonio
10. San Diego
11. Nashville
12. Honolulu
13. Portland
14. St. Louis
15. Cleveland
16. San Francisco

Old 05-09-2014, 05:53 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,911,521 times
1) New York vs Buffalo...New York

2) Los Angeles vs Orlando...Los Angeles

3) Chicago vs Cincinnati... Chicago

4) Houston vs Boise ....Houston

5) Philadelphia vs Salt Lake City...Philadelphia

6) Phoenix vs Kansas City...Phoenix

7) San Antonio vs Lincoln...San Antonio

8) San Diego vs Madison ...San Diego

9) Dallas vs Baton Rouge...Dallas

10) San Jose vs Honolulu... Honolulu

11) Austin vs Reno.. Austin

12) Jacksonville vs St.Louis.. St Louis

13) Indianapolis vs Cleveland... Indianapolis

14) San Fransisco vs Tampa.. San Fransisco

15) Columbus vs Tulsa...Columbus

16) Fort Worth vs Anaheim... Fort Worth

17) Charlotte vs Anchorage... Charlotte

18) Detroit vs Birmingham.. Detroit

19) El Paso vs New Orleans...New Orleans

20) Myrtle Beach vs Laguna Beach...Myrtle Beach

21) Memphis vs Oakland.... Memphis

22) Boston Vs Arlington....Boston

23) Seattle vs Omaha...Seattle

24) Denver vs Minneapolis... Minneapolis

25) Nashville vs Raleigh... Raleigh

26) Miami vs Milwaukee... Miami

27) Portland vs Louisville ...Portland

28) D.C vs Baltimore... D.C.

29) Pittsburgh vs Atlanta...Atlanta

30) Albuquerque vs De Moines.... Albuquerque

31) Dover vs Bismark....Dover

32) Charleston vs Savannah...Charleston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City