Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 09:51 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
umm did you not realize San Diego has a commuter rail system as well, one that opened before Seattle's?
I forgot, my first mistake I made on this thread. At the end of the day I would still say Seattle still has the edge in mass transit overall with it's better bus-rapid-transit and having a light rail subway system. I know buses run through the subway tunnels but so what! That's not the norm for American cities. You could nitpick all you want but in the grand scheme of things there is no denying that the best US transit cities all have great rail service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 10:01 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I forgot, my first mistake I made on this thread. At the end of the day I would still say Seattle still has the edge in mass transit overall with it's better bus-rapid-transit and having a light rail subway system. I know buses run through the subway tunnels but so what! That's not the norm for American cities. You could nitpick all you want but in the grand scheme of things there is no denying that the best US transit cities all have great rail service.
I agree Seattle has a better PT system, or at least one that is more widely used by the population, but it isn't because of a few BRT lines that opened after it's light rail started service or because of some one mile long subway tunnel downtown that's shared with buses. So I guess you can agree having a much larger rail network doesn't automatically mean having better transit then correct? That perhaps there are quite a few other factors involved than simply having rail lines.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:21 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I agree Seattle has a better PT system, or at least one that is more widely used by the population, but it isn't because of a few BRT lines that opened after it's light rail started service or because of some one mile long subway tunnel downtown that's shared with buses. So I guess you can agree having a much larger rail network doesn't automatically mean having better transit then correct? That perhaps there are quite a few other factors involved than simply having rail lines.
I never said having a larger rail network automatically means having a better transit system. If you go back and read my previous posts, I clearly said buses were a contributing factor to overall transportation but just not on the level as rail service.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:17 AM

739 posts, read 1,187,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Unless your city has bus rapid transit that rivals Brazilian cities like Sao Paulo and Rio De Janeiro then your not really going to see a huge difference between major cities in the US when it comes to bus service. Los Angeles may be an exception since it has arguably the best bus-rapid transit system in the country. You keep on making excuses for Houston. We all know Houston has a lot great things going for it but good transportation isn't one of them. It's the largest city/metro area with the worst mass transit.
what y'all must realize is that Houston's mass transit is it's highway/freeway system. Forget that commuter rails connecting to light rails systems would be very efficient. Freeway connectors, connected to beltways connected to causeways, connected to highways, overpasses and feeders is the ultimate in mass transit.

I hate sittin' in traffic!!... *sniff*

Old 05-09-2014, 01:28 AM

157 posts, read 296,821 times
I would say Raleigh, NC when I was living in Fayetteville, that's all they would tell me about and it's a moderate size city has no rail, very few buses from what I've recently read.
Some buses do connect to and from the other cities like Durham and Chapel Hill but it's very miniscual compared to at least the transportation system in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Austin, Miami.

Here in San Antonio, TX where I live, well we have at least 92 bus routes here which is good and also we have finally since 2012 the VIA PRIMO which is our first BRT (bus rapid transit) system.
Being in San Francisco before and riding the BART and MUNI gotta say that the PRIMO is not so bad at all,, it does replicate a Light Rail Train but with wheels LOL.
it's very cool I've taken a ride on it and it connects downtown to UTSA campus NW side every 10 minutes.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:39 AM

112 posts, read 136,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie.e View Post
I would say Raleigh, NC when I was living in Fayetteville, that's all they would tell me about and it's a moderate size city has no rail, very few buses from what I've recently read.
Some buses do connect to and from the other cities like Durham and Chapel Hill but it's very miniscual compared to at least the transportation system in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Austin, Miami.

Here in San Antonio, TX where I live, well we have at least 92 bus routes here which is good and also we have finally since 2012 the VIA PRIMO which is our first BRT (bus rapid transit) system.
Being in San Francisco before and riding the BART and MUNI gotta say that the PRIMO is not so bad at all,, it does replicate a Light Rail Train but with wheels LOL.
it's very cool I've taken a ride on it and it connects downtown to UTSA campus NW side every 10 minutes.

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=Pb-fhJxzbwM

I'm sold

Old 05-09-2014, 07:10 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Los Angeles, no contest. Pubic transport is available, but the area is too spread out and congested for it to be effective.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:41 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Los Angeles, no contest. Pubic transport is available, but the area is too spread out and congested for it to be effective.
The worst of any metro above 1 million? There's a lot of competition in the category.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:54 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,769 times
Some of you are still missing the point. This is about metro areas, not just the cities themselves. If we were talking cities the yes, Atlanta would have a pretty good system, but we are talking overall metro areas. Places like Nashville and Raleigh may not have Rapid transit, but these metro areas have an overall higher percentage of residents near some form of transit than metro Atlanta. Only about a third of the residents of metro Atlanta are near some form of transit (making about 4 million of about 6 million residents with no alternative but to drive). That is the lowest percentage of any metro over 1 million residents.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:00 PM

112 posts, read 136,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Are you talking about fleas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City