Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 01:11 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesw1207 View Post
San Francisco Metro Area probably has the worst public transit ever, considering that it is one of the larger cities on the west coast. The commuter rail "BART" doesn't even go faster than cars, and doesn't even go into Silicon Valley. Muni, San Francisco's metro public transportation, is very slow, and very overcrowded. Muni runs at an average of 8 mph due to the many unnecessary stops it makes. Also, the muni trains are very dirty inside.
You need to get out more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 01:31 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,356,136 times
Its a city of 2 million. And the point is not what kind of public transportation but what's is least effective. Rail lines offer little flexibility. You have to go to them whereas buses come to you. And Park/Ride bus system is actually pretty good.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:44 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesw1207 View Post
San Francisco Metro Area probably has the worst public transit ever, considering that it is one of the larger cities on the west coast. The commuter rail "BART" doesn't even go faster than cars, and doesn't even go into Silicon Valley. Muni, San Francisco's metro public transportation, is very slow, and very overcrowded. Muni runs at an average of 8 mph due to the many unnecessary stops it makes. Also, the muni trains are very dirty inside.
You can't be serious with that comment. Can you even name me one city in the entire Western US that has better mass transit than the San Francisco Metro Area?

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 05-24-2014 at 02:09 PM..

Old 05-24-2014, 01:52 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,356,136 times
I lived in Atlanta 5 years. Public transit is DISJOINTED because of limited municipal cooperation. Marta rail a two line system has been around since the 1970s and has only expanded three stations in the last 20 years. Dallas Public transit in those same 20 years has built four light rail lines and one heavy rail line. I left ATL in 2001. No bus service in Gwinnett county. Limited service in Cobb. None in Cherokee or Forsyth counties.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:07 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
I lived in Atlanta 5 years. Public transit is DISJOINTED because of limited municipal cooperation. Marta rail a two line system has been around since the 1970s and has only expanded three stations in the last 20 years. Dallas Public transit in those same 20 years has built four light rail lines and one heavy rail line. I left ATL in 2001. No bus service in Gwinnett county. Limited service in Cobb. None in Cherokee or Forsyth counties.
MARTA has FOUR lines -- Red, gold, green and blue -- with 38 stations and 48 miles of track. Clayton County will likely be joining the system next year, and plans are underway to expand rail service both south of the airport into Forest Park and further up the Ga 400 corridor into North Fulton. The first phase of the Atlanta streetcar opens this summer with future plans to tie into the MARTA system at various points in the city.

Gwinnett and Cobb counties have both had bus systems for years. Additionally, Gwinnett, Cobb and the state of Georgia all run express commuter bus routes between the suburbs and major employment centers

Metro Atlanta doesn't have transit like it should, but it's hardly the worst in the country. Far from it. And it's arguably the best in the southeast.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:14 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Gwinnett and Cobb counties have both had bus systems for years. Additionally, Gwinnett, Cobb and the state of Georgia all run express commuter bus routes between the suburbs and major employment centers

Metro Atlanta doesn't have transit like it should, but it's hardly the worst in the country. Far from it. And it's arguably the best in the southeast.
Atlanta definitely isn't the worst. Having 4 subway lines isn't something to ignore. I agree that it probably has the best transit system in the Southeast.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:38 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I'm surprised folks are so hard on Miami. I'm not saying it's great, but it's far from horrible. It has a 2-branch heavy rail system -- the newest (short) branch opened 2 years ago, connects to a multi-modal hub at Miami International airport -- which includes a new terminal for TriRail, the fairly busy commuter line traveling the length of the metro area (an expansion plan has TriRail expanding to the Florida East Coast Line which will serve South Florida's downtowns, including Miami's and will double TriRail's length and efficiency), a 1.2 mile people mover directly to the air terminal and the new Rental Car center. The HRT carries heavy traffic, esp at rush hour and esp south of downtown... Downtown, the HRT connects directly the People Mover, the largest, most successful of the 70s/80s experimental, driver-less cars that circulates passengers all over Miami's downtown, both north and south of the Miami river -- connecting back with the HRT at Brickell, which is the entertainment, restaurant center of Miami and home to a huge high-rise apartment/condo TOD neighborhood that is growing by leaps and bounds ... South Beach is Miami Beach, which is really a suburb across Miami Bay. And if there's a more fun public transit line than the amusement park ride-like PM, I don't know it -- and it's Free! The RTA also has a BRT extending south from the Dadeland Metro Rail terminal to Homeland. The bus system is also pretty extensive and frequent.

So I think Miami, which is really a small, dense city (420,000 pop, 12,000 per sq/mi) at the base of long, huge sprawling (linearly at least) metro area, has a better-than-average transit system -- certainly by American (low) standards. Miami has no business being anywhere near a worst-transit list; no freaking way.
I agree. Miamis isn't terrible. Far from the worst.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:20 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I agree. Miamis isn't terrible. Far from the worst.
Agreed. Miami's sucks when compared to the world. When compared to the U.S. it is actually not that bad. Hopefully are incompetent politicians finally figure out a way to connect Downtown and Miami Beach by rail and include a line going around Miami Beach. That plus the possible commuter rail will be a big change.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:43 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,900 times
lol?

Old 06-13-2014, 08:18 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apilgrimsoul View Post
uh try Seattle and portland

Seattle does not have a better system than San Francisco, not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City