Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 10:42 AM

4,523 posts, read 5,093,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Indianapolis also has a "people mover" that travels between IUPUI and Methodist Hospital.

Saying a city with rail transit is by default better is lazy. Very, very lazy.

I think it's obvious what we're talking about here, and it's NOT a 1 or 2 mile People Mover... Let's not be ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 11:28 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I think it's obvious what we're talking about here, and it's NOT a 1 or 2 mile People Mover... Let's not be ridiculous.
You're missing the point.

You are a shameless Cleveland homer, so I know you are familiar with the HealthLine, yes? So, let's say Kansas City, Indianapolis, or Detroit build a whole metro wide network of "HealthLine" like BRT, with no rail transit at all (which at least in Indianapolis is a very real possibility). You would, in that scenario, have rapid transit that can get you anywhere in the metro area. You are telling me Buffalo, who has one rail line, would be superior to a comprehensive metro rapid transit system because of one rail line?

Old 06-16-2014, 01:10 PM

4,523 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
You're missing the point.

You are a shameless Cleveland homer, so I know you are familiar with the HealthLine, yes? So, let's say Kansas City, Indianapolis, or Detroit build a whole metro wide network of "HealthLine" like BRT, with no rail transit at all (which at least in Indianapolis is a very real possibility). You would, in that scenario, have rapid transit that can get you anywhere in the metro area. You are telling me Buffalo, who has one rail line, would be superior to a comprehensive metro rapid transit system because of one rail line?
That's speculative... if/when these places do this, then I'll consider it... I also don't rule out BRT if it's done right... Cleveland and Minneapolis have good ones; but it's still such a new technology, esp here in the USA... Rapid transit is a tried and true technology.

As for Buffalo, yes I consider that city superior transit-wise to ANY city that has either no rapid transit, or simply downtown PM lines like Detroit... (OK maybe Morgantown, W.Va is superior because its pioneering PM goes all over that small university town, but ... we are talking big cities). On top of this, Buffalo's single 6.4 LRT line is very high performing: nearly 30K rides daily for a system in a medium/smaller big city in the (very) cold Rust Belt; and one who's population has been falling like a rock... Now finally, after all these year's, Buffalo's hard-headed leaders are now exploring expansion of their rail line...

To answer your comment, Buffalo > Indy, Columbus, San Antonio, Milwaukee, Jacksonville, etc... Until some city comes along and develops a comprehensive, efficient fast (rail-less) BRT, I really have no source for comparison in this country. Yes, I know Curitiba, Brazil is the international Gold Standard for BRT... Until some US city does something like that, my answer remains the same.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:55 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Honolulu's transit network is currently a bus-only system that arguably has better transit than some metro's out there with rail. A relatively high percentage of workers in Honolulu use PT for commuting.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Agreed, though with rail Honlulu would be even better. There's a better practical case for rail than in much larger metros, such as Houston. I doubt Buffalo has a better transit system than Honolulu without rail.

Last edited by nei; 06-16-2014 at 02:18 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 02:10 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
Los Angeles has the worst

Old 06-16-2014, 02:12 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Now finally, after all these year's, Buffalo's hard-headed leaders are now exploring expansion of their rail line...
Yes, but that too is speculative.

Quote:
To answer your comment, Buffalo > Indy, Columbus, San Antonio, Milwaukee, Jacksonville, etc... Until some city comes along and develops a comprehensive, efficient fast (rail-less) BRT,
Kansas City will soon have a more robust BRT system than Buffalo has with its single rail line. That is fact.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:23 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Agreed, though with rail Honlulu would be even better. There's a better practical case for rail than in much larger metros, such as Houston. I doubt Buffalo has a better transit system than Honolulu without rail.
I think once Honolulu's rail system opens it will easily have a better transit network than a lot of other much larger cities. It will by far be the smallest metro to have completely grade-separated rail rapid transit in North America.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I think once Honolulu's rail system opens it will easily have a better transit network than a lot of other much larger cities. It will by far be the smallest metro to have completely grade-separated rail rapid transit in North America.
It might be the smallest metro to have any type of rail (excluding Amtrak of course). Can you think of any that are smaller?

Old 06-16-2014, 02:28 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
The REAL question is which metro over 1 million has ADEQUATE mass transit?

To the OP's question. I elect Birmingham, Atlanta, Phoenix, Jacksonville, Tampa, Kansas City, Los Angeles (but they are improving), Las Vegas, Detroit... I'm quite sure there are many more.
Los Angeles has a public transportation system that's light years ahead of Detroit (having lived in both Metros) although still not practical for car-free use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City