Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 10:15 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Until those lines officially open its still one rail line.
The Southeast Line and East lines have opened... the existing Red line has expanded...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 10:17 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
By American standards, not really. What cities in America, sizable to Houston, and with the same layout has much better transit? Atlanta doesn't, Dallas doesn't, neither does Miami. They all suck compared to New York.
Actually, what Dallas has done is quite impressive for the type of metro they have.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:20 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Until those lines officially open its still one rail line. Philly area has plans on constructing the Glassboro-Camden line and the King of Prussia rail line extension in the near future but until it is officially open for business you can't count it as part of your operating rail system. The same can be said for Houston in regards to those other rail lines.
Didn't Philly is about to connect to KOP. That's pretty interesting to know, sounds similar to the Silver Line connecting to Tyson's Corner.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:21 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Ok. We can revisit this thread in August when the other two lines open.
Ok, it will still have the worst transit for a city of its size. Do you really think adding a couple of light rail lines is going to move it ahead of other major cities in its tier? Dallas still has the best transit in the state.

Quote:
Houston would have a better transit system if it wasn't for politics.
Same could be said for Philly if the original master plan for the subway system were fulfilled and the regional rail lines were never cut rail service on certain lines. Philly would easily be the 2nd best transit city in the entire country.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:22 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
The Southeast Line and East lines have opened... the existing Red line has expanded...
I don't think that's correct. They were still doing construction in downtown last time I checked. When did they open?

Old 05-06-2014, 10:24 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Compared to the top 10 largest cities(with the exception of San Antonio) Houston has the worst PT. It's easily by far the worst transit system among the top 5 largest cities. I'm not trying to bash Houston, I'm just being brutally honest that's all. You shouldn't take it so personal.
Comparedto other cities in the world, most of those cities PT are probably deemed inadequate. I'm not taking it personal at all (there's a couple people who claim I bash Houston at every given chance) but to say Houston transit is so much worse than say Atlanta, Dallas or Phoenix is a wash because, those cities transit options are so much worse than even much smaller cities in other countries.
To me this is about "Hey, my city has terrible transit options, but which ones are worse?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Actually, what Dallas has done is quite impressive for the type of metro they have.
I've never explored Dallas but don't they have commuter rail trying to imitate light-rail, all the while having no light-rail? If so, that doesn't sound impressive.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:24 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't think that's correct. They were still doing construction in downtown last time I checked. When did they open?
It's not officially open. Those lines are still under construction according to the official site.

METRO Current Projects

Old 05-06-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Ok, it will still have the worst transit for a city of its size. Do you really think adding a couple of light rail lines is going to move it ahead of other major cities in its tier? Dallas still has the best transit in the state.

Same could be said for Philly if the original master plan for the subway system were fulfilled and the regional rail lines were never cut rail service on certain lines. Philly would easily be the 2nd best transit city in the entire country.
Well I was just responding on the one line thing.

I don't think any city goes through what Houston has went through when it comes to transit. Now hen you had the likes of Tom delay and John Culberson in office withholding funds to even build transit.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
It's not officially open. Those lines are still under construction according to the official site.

METRO Current Projects
Heres a better site.

Construction Progress

The North line is open but it's still one expanded line. The other two should open this year. Most of the work left is in downtown. I still think Houston needs a rapid transit system.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:30 PM

273 posts, read 323,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
There are many US cities over 1 million. However I elect my hometown of Kansas City as the worst. It has been bad as long as I can remember, and after 34 years on this planet, it has only got slightly better. No real plans for a rail system, buses appear infeauent, almost never see a bus on the road, etc. I can't fathom any city having a worse public transit system. It's almost something you would expect out of a small town.
There's no way KC can have a worse transit system than OKC, which I believe has over 1 million people. IIRC, OKC's transit system shuts down before 8pm, and I don't think runs at all on Sundays. That might be ok for a metro of 100,000, but not for a metro of 1 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City