Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 12:51 AM

28 posts, read 72,363 times

Advertisements

Kind of like how they call Gothenburg Sweden "Little London"
Ok well, I know that nobody who has actually lived in LA would think this. But I see some similarities. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, so I can feel a little bit like I'm in LA, but i'll explain.

You've got a lot of suburban communities surrounding the area, and then you've got kinda gangland-ish areas and not very much in between. There are a lot of well off, stereotypical blonde haired California types in the heights (aka.. my friends, haha), a lot of chicano and Mexican gangsters in the South end. Big disparity in income and class, lots of sunlight. Mountains visible from the city, and people from outside NM tell me that ABQ people are very West Coast in their ways.

So yea. Your take?

----

Oh and sadly... don't forget, a highly controversial police department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 05:26 AM

688 posts, read 1,101,062 times
If I was describing Albuquerque to someone who had never visited, I would compare/contrast it to Tucson and Phoenix before comparing it to LA. Even Dallas or Denver would come to mind before LA.

Start with three landlocked desert situated southwestern cities of size. Phoenix is larger (worse traffic), lower elevation (thus hotter in summer, milder in winters). ABQ is more similar to Tucson in terms of elevation, climate, and size. Regional food is good in all 3, but I prefer "new mexican" cuisine to the more common "tex-mex" found in the others (but Restaurant Mexico, serving more authentic "mexican" food in Tempe, is a personal fave). Culturally, the native american presence is richer in ABQ than Phoenix or even Tucson, or so it feels to me (and I consider it a net positive for ABQ despite the poverty, etc., afflicting this community). And IMO the arts are more vibrant in NM than AZ, from music to museums, opera, etc.

Phoenix, in all honesty, is a bit of a cultural wasteland, and it deserves comparison to LA more than does ABQ...

In reading my opinion, consider that I have never lived in the southwest, but I am moving to ABQ soon. I have traveled extensively in the southwest, though, and I am very familiar with Phoenix/Tempe (one of my children attended ASU), and I did not care much for the area, would never choose to live there myself, nor would I ever choose to live in LA, but Tucson has some possibilities...

Last edited by Westbound and Down; 05-08-2014 at 05:45 AM..

Old 05-08-2014, 08:29 AM

87 posts, read 237,179 times
Well, I've described LA as a mix of the New York metro area (where I'm from) and Albuquerque, with the addition of traffic and smog; so I guess it might kind of sort of work in reverse. A little.

But I agree that the city most similar to Albuquerque is Tucson.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:52 AM

141 posts, read 222,671 times
The OP asked if anyone else thought of ABQ as a "little Los Angeles", not so much as a comparison, which would be silly being that LA is at least ten times bigger and that city has a whole different vibe and feel about it. If we wanna talk "similar, then I would say most definitely Tucson or El Paso, but in my opinion, I'd say that Albuquerque's more like a "little Denver"

Old 05-08-2014, 10:35 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHikingCat View Post
There are a lot of well off, stereotypical blonde haired California types in the heights (aka.. my friends, haha), a lot of chicano and Mexican gangsters in the South end.
That's quite a broad brush you are using there.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianH View Post
The OP asked if anyone else thought of ABQ as a "little Los Angeles", not so much as a comparison, which would be silly being that LA is at least ten times bigger and that city has a whole different vibe and feel about it. If we wanna talk "similar, then I would say most definitely Tucson or El Paso, but in my opinion, I'd say that Albuquerque's more like a "little Denver"
I don't think El Paso is anything like ABQ. Denver, I can see that comparison.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
That's quite a broad brush you are using there.
Heurtistics, my friend. *sigh*, how many times do I have to tell people that the general feel of something does not preclude exceptions?

Old 05-08-2014, 08:34 PM

11 posts, read 23,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
If I was describing Albuquerque to someone who had never visited, I would compare/contrast it to Tucson and Phoenix before comparing it to LA. Even Dallas or Denver would come to mind before LA.

Start with three landlocked desert situated southwestern cities of size. Phoenix is larger (worse traffic), lower elevation (thus hotter in summer, milder in winters). ABQ is more similar to Tucson in terms of elevation, climate, and size. Regional food is good in all 3, but I prefer "new mexican" cuisine to the more common "tex-mex" found in the others (but Restaurant Mexico, serving more authentic "mexican" food in Tempe, is a personal fave). Culturally, the native american presence is richer in ABQ than Phoenix or even Tucson, or so it feels to me (and I consider it a net positive for ABQ despite the poverty, etc., afflicting this community). And IMO the arts are more vibrant in NM than AZ, from music to museums, opera, etc.

Phoenix, in all honesty, is a bit of a cultural wasteland, and it deserves comparison to LA more than does ABQ...

In reading my opinion, consider that I have never lived in the southwest, but I am moving to ABQ soon. I have traveled extensively in the southwest, though, and I am very familiar with Phoenix/Tempe (one of my children attended ASU), and I did not care much for the area, would never choose to live there myself, nor would I ever choose to live in LA, but Tucson has some possibilities...
It's amazing how much misinformation gets thrown around. How in the world do ABQ and Tucson are similar elevation or climate? Tucson is just over 2,000 feet while ABQ is over 5,000 and that enormous gap results in massive climate differences.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:56 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,103,013 times
Since LA is probably the biggest city I've spent the most amount of time "on the ground" in, I would agree with this.
Mountains surround it, there's a river running through the middle of it that doesn't see much water.
Some of the older homes in various areas remind me of some of the houses I've seen on bike rides through Boyle Heights.
Did I mention food trucks?

I think of it as a good thing.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:03 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,831 times
The comparison in the OP is about the silliest I've ever read on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City