Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you be more interested in living in?
Seattle 183 54.30%
Philadelphia 154 45.70%
Voters: 337. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 12:32 AM

58 posts, read 200,363 times

Advertisements

I am currently pondering moving to either Seattle or Philadelphia. What are the pros and cons of each city?

Seattle is beautiful during the summer and offers plenty of outdoor activities. The job market there is stronger than in Philadelphia. Companies like Starbucks, Nordstrom, Amazon.com, Costco, Washington Mutual, Microsoft are based there.

But it's not cheap living in Seattle. Philadelphia is much more affordable than Seattle and has a lot of growth potential in its real estate market. You can buy a condo in some parts of Center City for less than $300,000. If you purchase a home in Philadelphia today, it could very likely increase drastically in value within 10 years due to greater gentrification.

There's no state income tax in Seattle, but high sales and property taxes compensate for that. The sales tax in Seattle is 8.8%, and 9.3% for restaurant food and coffeehouses. On the other hand, there is no tax on clothing and food (not ready to made food) in PA.

Philadelphia is an underrated city. It's got lots of potential. Sure the number of murders in the city is shocking, but a large majority of murders in Philadelphia occur between people with connections to each other. Center City is very safe, although there still tends to be a bit of nonviolent crime.

The restaurant scene in Philadelphia is exploding. There is a growing arts scene that enjoys city government support. Nearby is the renowned University of Pennsylvania. Fairmount Park is the largest public park in the US, and there's plenty of recreational activities like biking to be done there.

Bad public schools and corrupt politics is a problem in Philadelphia.

I'm torn between two lovers, Seattle and Philadelphia. I love Seattle for the quality of life (minus the cost of living there), its scenery and outdoors, and the relaxed atmosphere there. Philadelphia's got plenty of history (some parts of the city are real nice like Society Hill, Rittenhouse Square, the Old City District, and Center City) and has lots of potential in becoming a great city. That could happen once the idiotic mayor of Philly, John Street, leaves office this year.

Which city would you choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 06:53 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times
I grew up outside Philly and have been to Seattle several times. Two totally different places. You seemed to have done your homework, so I guess you have to choose what qualities are most important to you? Also, I don't know how old you are and maybe that doesn't matter but if your young......try one for a year ot two and if you love it stay, if not try the other. Life is short and if you're interested in both, then try them both.

If I had to choose, it would be Seattle 100% but that's only my opinion. It's my second favorite city (behind NYC). Really beautiful, lots to do, great music scene and I love the fact it's close to the water, city and mountains.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:20 AM

151 posts, read 817,249 times
Default tough question

I've always been intrigued by Seattle, but I hear it's becoming a North LA/SF type of place. I would have probably preferred the Seattle of the 80s/early 90s. The cost of living calculators online say that Seattle has a slightly lower cost of living than Philadelphia. The state and local income tax that you pay for living/working in Philadelphia is the primary reason for it be higher there. I wouldn't be crazy about all the rain that Seattle supposedly gets. And there's more to do, in my estimation, in Philadelphia. NYC, DC, Poconos, and the Jersey shore are all close by. Delaware is close by as well - home of tax free shopping. As beautiful as Seattle is, I'd probably pick Philadelphia.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:12 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Both cities are very unique. Here are some pros and cons based on my visits:

Philly: GREAT food, way better than Seattles (but Seattle has better seafood obviously). BOTH cities have pro sports teams, with Philly having a more loyal following. Philly can have blustery cold and snow, but overall its decently mild. Id rather have a few days of snow over months of drizzly, cloudy weather. History is better in Philly, as is the downtown. Lots of bad areas in Philly, but they can easily be avoided. Not too far of a drive from the mountains of PA, close to NY.

Seattle: More mild weather, although alot cloudier. Pro sports venues are cool and fans are loyal. Food is decent, not as good as Phillys. Downtown is pretty cool (if youre there, eat at Stars downtown), Phillys has more to do (museums and opera, etc). Seattle has more scenery and better overall weather to enjoy it (just bring a parka LOL). Cant beat the ocean either... even if its too cold to swim in it.

All in all, theyre BOTH great cities and choosing one could be really tough. Your best bet is to visit both and see for yourself. But to be honest, Id choose Philly, because lifes too short to not eat good. LOL j/k I just think Philly offers just as much, if not more, in a more historical aspect, all the while being close to everything. Outside of Seattle is, well, not much. Ever been to Eastern WA and OR? About the most boring stuff youll ever see...

Old 04-08-2007, 04:07 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times
I agree with the opinions of Philly but Seattle has great food also and lots to do. It's a city, they have museums and art gallerys. There are closer things to Philly but Seattle is not that far from Vancouver and Portland. I guess I'm biased because I grew up outside Philly and remember it as historical but a mess. (no offense) The times I went to Seattle I was on vacation and things always seem better on vacation.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:50 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
That's a tough choice. I have visited Seattle once, and I live in the Philly metro area. I can't say that one is overwhelmingly better or worse than the other.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:27 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
Hate ta be a downer but I currently live in Philadelphia and unless you want to live in the city with the highest murder rate(and counting),don't come near Phila!You'll literally be dodging the bullet. Just today another guy got hit in his house by a stray bullet while getting dressed.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:38 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Philly's cool just love the Seattle laid back vibe much more.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:05 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
I'm not sure if its any kind of reflection on the city -- Ive never been to Seattle. But I have met 3 really, really mean and unreasonable people from Seattle! It wouldn't be so bad if they were not also the only people I have ever met from Seattle! It has given me a very bad impression of the place. it looks cool in pictures (and I generally, always pick the west coast over the east coast) but I just get a very negative vibe from the culture in Seattle...I read that it is the most educated city too (or one of them) perhaps I was picking up on a very condescending attitude, and not at all mixed with any humor or humility...or reason...just a very combative sort of book smart.

This must be just the people I was unfortunate enough to talk to, since the west coast is so "relaxed" but I have to say, I gave my vote to philly just because of that!

I once considered moving to portland....and I felt it was also a bit too...."trying to hard to be cool" for me.

I love San Francisco though....and I just dont think Seattle or Portland come close for me.

I would look into Philadelphia, despite the problems there.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:08 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
So, rgb, those three really really mean and unreasonable people may have been "from" Seattle but were they really "from" Seattle?

What I'm saying is that Seattle has had a huge infusion of new people coming in from out of state the last few decades. So chances are those three people might not have been actually "from" Seattle. To me, most born and raised Seattlites are pretty nice folks.

Anyway, my point is hopefully folks won't judge a city on the behavior of three people ...heh!

--'rocco

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-28-2007 at 11:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City