Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More urban shopping district?
Beverly Hills (Golden Triangle) 84 78.50%
Atlanta (Buckhead) 23 21.50%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 03:15 PM

32,195 posts, read 34,947,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The difference is more that those who arrive at Beverly Hills mostly park, then walk around. While in Buckhead [guessing], visitors are more easily able to drive from spot to spot.
Yeah, there aren't that many places to walk around in Buckhead. The scale makes things difficult. Even though Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza are only about 800 feet apart (maybe even less), it just seems farther. It would never occur to me to walk between the two. You would have to walk across the "street" in the link below.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Lenox...244.41,,0,0.35

Now I'm sure I'll get blasted with the "That's completely walkable/I walk it all the time!" comments, but I don't consider that walkable in the least. I will drive that 800 feet to the parking garage at Phipps every single day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 03:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,729,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, there aren't that many places to walk around in Buckhead. The scale makes things difficult. Even though Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza are only about 800 feet apart (maybe even less), it just seems farther. It would never occur to me to walk between the two. You would have to walk across the "street" in the link below.

Now I'm sure I'll get blasted with the "That's completely walkable/I walk it all the time!" comments, but I don't consider that walkable in the least. I will drive that 800 feet to the parking garage at Phipps every single day of the week.
Looks like a good example of urban (as in densely built-up) but pedestrian hostile. Not that common of a combination, especially here in the Northeast.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:49 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,854,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Please show us any and all posts that people are acting like BH is super-dense and urban....

And are you really bragging about 7500 ppsm? I think it's not that people think BH is all that urban, just that Buckhead is so not urban. It looks like a clusterf*ck version of Century City.

Besides, aren't we only comparing the shopping districts? I mean, Beverly Hills still wins in that aspect too but the whole SFH thing is moot considering we are talking about the commercial areas and not residential.

Doheny - Santa Monica - Wilshire triangle has 9500 PPSM. The tract next to it (214901) is 25k ppsm. South of that (700802) is 15k ppsm. East of that (214902) is 13k ppsm. 700902 has a ppsm of 17k. 216402 has 29k (are there any tracts in Atlanta with a density of 29K?). I could keep going because there are a handful of other tracts in the 10-20 range and even more in the 9-10k range. In fact I don't think there is a tract in BH under 9k ppsm other than the part of the city north of Santa Monica Blvd (which is the part of the city much of BH's popular lore is developed from) Now do you see why people think the comparison is absurd?

I can't wait for some poster to tell me those numbers are a result of a bunch of Mexicans crammed into a SFH....
Are any of those places you mentioned considered BH?If not whats your point?
Yes they are acting like it when compared to Buckhead.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Yeah it's very tiny like two blocks. It's population is 3,400 people, about six total highrises and a few commercial buildings in a condensed area. It's next highest tract is right after Boston's at 97,000 people per square mile.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8511/...02ac8721_b.jpg

Which is my point though, census tracts are the smallest barometers to any sort of density argument. For all intents and purposes, Buckhead lags in having a high density tract of it's own, Atlanta in general lags in the density category straight across the board. While density isn't the end all and be all of urbanity, Buckhead lacks the very first thing needed to make a place urban, which is supporting human density.
BH is more urban,NEVER said it was not.But this is not some runaway comparison either.Beverly Hills is not that much more urban.

It would not take a whole lot for Buckhead to catich up.Thats my point and Im sticking to it.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:56 PM

23,586 posts, read 44,344,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

I live in a highrise next to Phipps and find walking quite easy there. We walk to dinner quite often. I wish that more people that actually have more real world experience would weigh in on here.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The difference is more that those who arrive at Beverly Hills mostly park, then walk around. While in Buckhead [guessing], visitors are more easily able to drive from spot to spot.
Not true.MARTA makes Buckhead very accessible to visitors.There are 2 stops.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggah View Post
I hate saying this because I think its a bad way of gauging a city but all one has to do is a little Google streetview in both areas to realize they're not compatible.
The Google views are outdated.

There have been major pedestrian upgrades not shown in those images since they were taken.

A new pedestrian bridge and bicycle lanes have been and are being added.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:02 PM

409 posts, read 591,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Not true.MARTA makes Buckhead very accessible to visitors.There are 2 stops.
But there are no sidewalks even two blocks from the MARTA stops.

Buckhead is totally auto-dominated and pedestrian hostile.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I live in a highrise next to Phipps and find walking quite easy there. We walk to dinner quite often. I wish that more people that actually have more real world experience would weigh in on here.
I live downtown but when I go to Buckhead I prefer to take MARTA.Its fast and I don't have to worry about traffic or parking.

Buckhead is fairly easy to get around but with all the construction at the moment,its been harder.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:17 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,922,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Are any of those places you mentioned considered BH?If not whats your point?
Yes they are acting like it when compared to Buckhead.
Every single one of them are within Beverly Hills, and only in Beverly Hills (i.e none of them are half BH half LA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City