Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 03:14 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,851,130 times

Advertisements

http://static8.depositphotos.com/103...am-Alabama.jpg

Looking towards downtown Birmingham Alabama - YouTube

While downtown B'Ham is very old south compared to Atlanta's,it does have a splash of new south.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...panorama_3.jpg

Daytime Driving in Atlanta Downtown - YouTube

Just by the pictures posted above you can spot the difference. Birmingham's traditional red bricked old south infrastructure, Atlanta's more modern with character new south infrastructure.

Last edited by JMT; 05-10-2014 at 05:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 04:15 PM

112 posts, read 136,501 times
I like the fact that Birmingham preserved its historic buildings better, although Atlantans had to rebuild after the war. I wonder if Atlanta would have been the undisputed most urban city in the south had it not been for the rebuilding.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:21 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,954,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggah View Post
I like the fact that Birmingham preserved its historic buildings better, although Atlantans had to rebuild after the war. I wonder if Atlanta would have been the undisputed most urban city in the south had it not been for the rebuilding.
Atlanta was a frontier town of barely 12,000 people at the time of the Civil War and Birmingham didn't exist at all, so I fail to see your point.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Atlanta was a frontier town of barely 12,000 people at the time of the Civil War and Birmingham didn't exist at all, so I fail to see your point.
So basically you're saying Atlanta did a very poor job of preserving its historic buildings?

Old 05-10-2014, 05:49 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,851,130 times
Quote:
After New Orleans,yes.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:18 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,150,194 times
Quote:
So basically you're saying Atlanta did a very poor job of preserving its historic buildings?
Yes, it didn't do a great job at preserving historic buildings. That's one of my beefs with Atlanta. Even in 1950, it had a large urban footprint, then just destroyed those buildings for newer buildings and/or parking lots/decks.

I mean, why would they destroy this building for an ugly parking deck?

http://historyatlanta.com/wp-content...ty-Library.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 05-10-2014 at 07:35 PM..

Old 05-10-2014, 06:24 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,150,194 times
Don't get me wrong though. Downtown Atlanta's historic stock(pre-1960) still make up about 50% of the buildings in Downtown Atlanta. You can also find more brick industrial-like buildings in Castlebury Hill(To the SE of Downtown) and Sweet Auburn(East of Downtown).

Old 05-10-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Yes, it didn't do a great job at preserving historic buildings. That's one of my beefs with Atlanta. Even in 1950, it had a large urban footprint, then just destroyed those buildings for newer buildings and/or parking lots/decks.

That's a shame, I've seen where people on ssp's Houston development thread are all for "out with the old, in with the new" development strategy , in a city devoid of pretty much any preservation they're still tearing down the little they have, its criminal.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:01 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,376,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post

Here is the BRUTAL truth. When black leadership took over Atlanta they wanted to get rid of the old south past, no matter what that beauty above looked like, plain and simple fact. Atlanta was also severely affected by the massive "monied" loss of the Orly Plane crash in 1962. Those were Atlanta's movers and shakers at the time, and the destruction of these beautiful landmarks probably would not have happened if they survived.

BBC ON THIS DAY | 3 | 1962: 130 die in Paris air crash

Old 05-10-2014, 07:12 PM

37,902 posts, read 42,048,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Here is the BRUTAL truth. When black leadership took over Atlanta they wanted to get rid of the old south past, no matter what that beauty above looked like, plain and simple fact. Atlanta was also severely affected by the massive "monied" loss of the Orly Plane crash in 1962. Those were Atlanta's movers and shakers at the time, and the destruction of these beautiful landmarks probably would not have happened if they survived.

BBC ON THIS DAY | 3 | 1962: 130 die in Paris air crash
This is a new one; you have anything to back up this assertion?

The fact of the matter is that while Atlanta wasn't the best when it came to historic preservation, it also wasn't the worst. Some treasures were lost but a respectable amount yet remains. Growth and Preservation--Atlanta: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary

Fairlie-Poplar, south downtown, Sweet Auburn, etc. represent historic downtown Atlanta and resembles a lot of what you'll see in Birmingham's. Right now, downtown Birmingham is undergoing a renaissance with a lot of redevelopment of historic properties and new development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City