Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is most Likely to be Destroyed by Natural Disaster, or Man-made Disaster
New York 14 12.73%
Los Angeles 43 39.09%
Chicago 2 1.82%
Houston 7 6.36%
Philadelphia 1 0.91%
Phoenix 6 5.45%
San Antonio 1 0.91%
San Diego 3 2.73%
Dallas 0 0%
San Jose 3 2.73%
Boston 0 0%
Fresno 2 1.82%
Oklahoma City 21 19.09%
Minneapolis 2 1.82%
New Orleans 34 30.91%
Tyler, Tx 3 2.73%
Denver 1 0.91%
San Francisco 32 29.09%
Las Vegas 3 2.73%
Hawaii 9 8.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 01:48 PM

297 posts, read 476,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
You left off St Louis. That city is sitting atop the largest fault in the us. Being an older city with a lot of brick structures, it's a disaster waiting to happen.
Nice. I wish I'd known that.
But now I DO ! THANX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
There are no Huricanes in Los Angeles & There is no threat of Tsunami either... Where do people get their information from?
We get our information from Hollywood, California.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:57 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post
Personally, I think the most Dangerous city to live in according to all the factors
is either Los Angeles, or Houston.

Both are next to LARGE bodies of water and in danger of Tsunami, Hurricane, etc..
Both are most-likely nuclear targets if another country tries to attack.

Both are at risk for EarthQuakes, although Los Angeles takes that category.

But Houston is practically a LIVE BOMB, with all those Gasoline and oil containers.
Los Angeles is at a low tsunami risk. It doesn't have the kinds of offshore faults one sees say in Japan. There are some offshore faults near San Onofre but they are likely to cause smaller and less catastrophic tsunamis, if at all.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...perts-say.html

Further north along the Pacific coast, however, the tsunami risk does increase. Washington, Oregon, and Northern California are exposed to a greater risk, in addition to the earthquake risk.

Washington's Coast: Hazards - Offshore Fault Zone

LA's biggest threats are earthquakes, forest fires, and drought. Forest fires are more of a threat on the fringe areas though especially near the national forests.

Overall, I'd say Miami is most at risk. With it being right on the ocean, a direct hit from a Cat 5 hurricane could annihilate the city.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
... Houston has a higher risk of terrorist, and nuclear attack than Dallas, because who would waste a war head, or suicide bomber, on such a insignificant city with such a vapid population.
Who? Well, Houston (and yourself) would.

I don't want to derail this thread by pointing out who is a hater...
so I'll leave it at that.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:59 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Statistically it is Miami funny how you do not put any Florida city on your poll...

7 Most Dangerous Places on Earth | LiveScience

But that is just for a large natural disaster. For the actual amounts of disasters, California cities and Alaska cities have to be up there as they get tons of Earthquakes just not big ones all the time. Also Tornado valley cities have to be up there as they get tons of tornadoes just not big ones all the time. And tornadoes tend to destroy smaller areas compared to hurricanes or earthquakes. Florida actually gets a TON of tornadoes just mostly weak ones.

As for the most likely city to be destroyed. I would say New Orleans or a city close to the mega volcano under Yellowstone.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:59 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,629,758 times
I also thought of St.Louis. This city has a history of violent tornadoes, could you imagine one of those long track EF4s or EF5s making a direct hit on the city? Then we are squeezed between these rivers that showed what they can do in 1993 when we were flooded. The worst I fear would be a major earthquake from New Madrid, unlike people in California, Missourians wouldn't have a clue what to do and like the other poster stated, some of these buildings are over a hundred years old and nothing has been built with earthquakes in mind.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:01 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
I wouldn't underestimate the volcanos in the Pacific Northwest.. roughly as many people died in the Mt. St. Helens eruption in 1980 as did in the 1989 San Francisco earthquake.

Honolulu would probably be the most dangerous: volcano, earthquake, tsunami, and tropical storm threats.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:02 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
I also thought of St.Louis. This city has a history of violent tornadoes, could you imagine one of those long track EF4s or EF5s making a direct hit on the city? Then we are squeezed between these rivers that showed what they can do in 1993 when we were flooded. The worst I fear would be a major earthquake from New Madrid, unlike people in California, Missourians wouldn't have a clue what to do and like the other poster stated, some of these buildings are over a hundred years old and nothing has been built with earthquakes in mind.
If they haven't already, they really should start educating people about what to do if an earthquake does happen. Or at least have some kind of major disaster plan in place.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:03 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Statistically it is Miami funny how you do not put any Florida city on your poll...

7 Most Dangerous Places on Earth | LiveScience
Some place in Florida, for sure. Hurricanes can just dance right across Florida from the Gulf to the Atlantic or vice versa without even noticing they crossed a land mass.

Any place in Florida is far more likely to be struck by a hurricane than any place anywhere else will be struck by a tornado...insurance companies have the stats down pat.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:05 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I wouldn't underestimate the volcanos in the Pacific Northwest.. roughly as many people died in the Mt. St. Helens eruption in 1980 as did in the 1989 San Francisco earthquake.

Honolulu would probably be the most dangerous: volcano, earthquake, tsunami, and tropical storm threats.
That's a good point too.. I read recently somewhere that the magma is starting to churn again under Mount St. Helens. Ah, here it is:

Mount St. Helens magma rising, but no risk of eruption - CBS News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City