Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is most Likely to be Destroyed by Natural Disaster, or Man-made Disaster
New York 14 12.73%
Los Angeles 43 39.09%
Chicago 2 1.82%
Houston 7 6.36%
Philadelphia 1 0.91%
Phoenix 6 5.45%
San Antonio 1 0.91%
San Diego 3 2.73%
Dallas 0 0%
San Jose 3 2.73%
Boston 0 0%
Fresno 2 1.82%
Oklahoma City 21 19.09%
Minneapolis 2 1.82%
New Orleans 34 30.91%
Tyler, Tx 3 2.73%
Denver 1 0.91%
San Francisco 32 29.09%
Las Vegas 3 2.73%
Hawaii 9 8.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 05:05 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Fact - In San Francisco, less than 10 people have died from earthquakes in over 100 years.
That's a bit misleading, perhaps only 10 have died in SF itself, but 68 (according to wiki) died in the region from the 1989 World Series quake alone. I will agree over the same time period more have died in various hurricanes and other weather related events in SE Texas, but I do not believe that the entire city of Houston will ever really be at risk for being "wiped out" from a hurricane in the same way that a earthquake has the potential to wipe out a city that is susceptible to earthquakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I can only go by past history of earthquakes in the US. Only 1 earthquake in US history have had death tolls greater than 200 (San Francisco, 3000 to 6000 out of about 400,000 residents, or rate of less than 2%) versus multiple 1000+ fatality events due to flooding (Galveston storm 6000-12000 fatalities of about 40,000 residents, or 25 to 35% of population). There is even contention that 3000 is too high, with actual reported deaths at the time less than 700, and a 1972 NOAA report identifying 700 to 800 deaths.

I do not disagree that an 8 or 9 couldn't do major damage, when it occurs, but the question in this thread was the "likelihood" of a disaster. I suppose on a millennial timescale I could accept earthquake as being "likely", but in the scale of our lifetimes we are more likely to witness and experience damaging and catastrophic flooding. That was the criteria I used.

Disasters in Houston are a part of life (and death) in this area, whether you want to call them disasters or not. Depends on whether you are affected, and by how much, I suppose. Disasters occurred in many great cities (Tokyo, San Francisco, Chicago, New Orleans) but that doesn't make them less great. The great cities pick themselves up and move on. Houston has done just that after previous disasters.
I agree that Galveston is at risk for a catastrophic event , but remember that Houston is inland from the shore and that is one reason that Houston has prospered over the years instead of Galveston. Galveston's population has decreased from a high of around 100k in 1900 to only about half of that today. So even in the worse case cat 5 hurricane I do not see the "entire" city of Houston sustaining extensive damage much less be "wiped out", in the same way a quake in the 8 or 9 range would wipe out a entire city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 05:06 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
If they haven't already, they really should start educating people about what to do if an earthquake does happen. Or at least have some kind of major disaster plan in place.
The city of Portland tries every time we have a somewhat sizable earthquake but I don't think too many are paying much attention. As I am packing to move to the Cleveland area, I am finding all sorts of literature on what to do when "the Big One" happens that the city of Portland has mailed out over the years. I have saved them all.

We have so many newcomers to the city, I don't think they aren't aware of the situation and if they are, they just don't seem all that concerned. I do know a few, especially those who were around when Mt St Helen's blew her top, who know what a natural disaster can be like or at least a part of one.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:05 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,111,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
That's a bit misleading, perhaps only 10 have died in SF itself
How is it misleading when I said in SF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
but 68 (according to wiki) died in the region from the 1989 World Series quake alone.
Well speaking of misleading, that is the only earthquake that has caused loss of life so... And not that it matters, but 57 deaths were directly caused by the earthquake, 6 deaths were later ruled to be caused indirectly so your number should be 63 (according to wiki).

EDIT:

Actually looking at this list, I don't see how people on this site always hype up earthquakes compared to hurricanes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._in_California

There was 1 big killer back in the early 1900s.

Last edited by RadicalAtheist; 05-14-2014 at 07:15 PM..

Old 05-14-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
How is it misleading when I said in SF?

Well that is the only earthquake that has caused loss of life so... And not that it matters, but 57 deaths were directly caused by the earthquake, 6 deaths were later ruled to be caused indirectly so your number should be 63 (according to wiki).
Misleading because technically it is accurate, but of course any earthquake that occurs, is not going to affect only one city.

63 or 68 is not a big number either way, but my point is an earthquake is more likely to cause catastrophic damage throughout a major metropolitan area than a hurricane which catastrophic effects are more likely to be limited to low lying areas immediatly along a coast.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:26 PM

Well the numbers (both economically & death toll) say otherwise..

Old 05-14-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Well the numbers (both economically & death toll) say otherwise..
This is true. Of course it depends on the time frame you are looking at. Remember the West Coast has only been populated for a relatively short period of time in a relatively few number of cities. If you look at the whole world, I think you will find by far the greatest number of fatalities and economic loss have been from earthquakes.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:53 PM

Well if you want to go historically & world wide then look no further than that thing Noah and his arc was prepared for! Or what happened to the dinosaurs!

Old 05-14-2014, 08:01 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Anywhere near/at/below sea level is at risk for being wiped out in the coming decades.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:06 PM

Well it would have to be coastal places, which makes saying 'below sea level' pretty silly. The coastal places closest to sea level are the Maldives Islands & Manhattan which I believe are ~9 feet above sea level.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Well if you want to go historically & world wide then look no further than that thing Noah and his arc was prepared for! Or what happened to the dinosaurs!
That's a trick answer you don't believe in Noah.. .

I was thinking a little more recently there have been 2 separate tsunami's caused by earthquakes that resulted in catastrophic damage and loss of life. One destroyed Phuket Thailand and one really screwed up Fukushima Japan, causing a separate nuclear disaster there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City