Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is most Likely to be Destroyed by Natural Disaster, or Man-made Disaster
New York 14 12.73%
Los Angeles 43 39.09%
Chicago 2 1.82%
Houston 7 6.36%
Philadelphia 1 0.91%
Phoenix 6 5.45%
San Antonio 1 0.91%
San Diego 3 2.73%
Dallas 0 0%
San Jose 3 2.73%
Boston 0 0%
Fresno 2 1.82%
Oklahoma City 21 19.09%
Minneapolis 2 1.82%
New Orleans 34 30.91%
Tyler, Tx 3 2.73%
Denver 1 0.91%
San Francisco 32 29.09%
Las Vegas 3 2.73%
Hawaii 9 8.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 09:47 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Anywhere near/at/below sea level is at risk for being wiped out in the coming decades.
Prius driver? Again, global warming is a scam, just like Elizabeth Warren's academic career. Sea levels ain't rising. Outer coastal areas = tsunami and hurricane targets, which is why they are dangerous, not sea level rise. The Imperial Valley for example is not in danger of being wiped out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Well it would have to be coastal places, which makes saying 'below sea level' pretty silly. The coastal places closest to sea level are the Maldives Islands & Manhattan which I believe are ~9 feet above sea level.
Manhattan rises to an elevation of 265 feet, an elevation greater than the entire Florida Peninsula south of Lake Okeechobee.

Again, global warming = a giant lie by corporations trying to get rich.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:59 AM

297 posts, read 476,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Statistically it is Miami funny how you do not put any Florida city on your poll...
I apologize for that, I simply used the list of the 10 Largest Cities in the U.S.
and then added another 10 places just off the top of my head.
(Not really wracking my brain, trying to think of dangerous places; my
intention was to allow others- like yourself- to help out with some
knowledgeable info)

By the way.... SanDiego County is having a Disaster of its own, As We SPEAK ; 9 Huge Wildfires
down there, and it's in a "A State of Emergency".

Funny how no one really READ my opening Question, asking people to take into consideration
ALL and ANY kinds of Disaster possibilities. FIRE (Wildfire) was one of the possibilities.

But everyone quickly jumps on Hurricanes and Tsunamis as the reason(s) for
their choice of Disaster-City-waiting-to-happen.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
LOL You will leave it at "that", because "that"( a weak accusation), is all you have. You are the one who implied that Houston was a nuclear target beyond what other major cities on your list would be. Wishful thinking on your part to be sure..

BTW why would you include Tyler Texas on that list ?
LOL. I "left it at that" because I'm from Dallas, and proud of it, and you claim to be from
"North West Houston" or something.
You Obviously took a look at my profile, or whatever, and decided to take a swipe
at me in your 1st post, claiming that no one would try to Attack Dallas, etc... etc...

I didn't choose Houston as a nuclear target because I dislike its people or whatever.
I just happened to notice that 1/3 of the area (mostly anything bordering some water)
is covered with Oil refineries, Gas tanks, Oil tanks, and ships carrying Oil.
Basically a HUGE BOMB waiting to be ignited by a lightning strike, etc...

And I added Tyler Texas, just to include one of the 'little guys'. lol
(I knew someone would pick it, too) :P

Old 05-15-2014, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post

Your other link is a fictional scenario on what would happen if a couple of flood control damns failed. Again you are fantasizing , could it happen I doubt it? 2 flood control damns breaking at once? Might 10 F-5 tornadoes converge on DFW during rush hour? It could happen, but we are going to have to keep our fantasy's out of this, and try to stick to plausible scenarios .

DarkSide I am losing patients with your hyperbole and misrepresentations
LOL. I don't know what to say.... Jack.
Houston is a dangerous city and County to live in.
That's why Nasa left, probably. ?

Old 05-15-2014, 08:17 AM

639 posts, read 820,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
New Orleans, easily. It essentially sits in a bowl below sea level with the Mississippi held out by earthen dikes.

Katrina was a Category 1-2 when it hit New Orleans and that nearly destroyed the city. Imagine what would happen to New Orleans should a Category 5 hurricane give the city a direct hit. There would be nothing left except the most solidly built buildings.

Katrina was a strong Category 3 Hurricane when it hit New Orleans. When it passed through there was the usually hurricane damage broken windows, down power lines, down trees etc. and everyone thought we were okay. But then hours later there was reports of broken levees which ended up flooding 80% of the city. Once again if levees were maintained properly Katrina would not have been half as bad. I just thought I give you the facts being that I am a native New Orleanian because a lot of times people speak on Katrina and they really don't know what there talking about. But its all good, I just thought I'd clear some things up with FACTS. PEACE

Old 05-15-2014, 10:17 AM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post
LOL. I "left it at that" because I'm from Dallas, and proud of it, and you claim to be from
"North West Houston" or something.
You Obviously took a look at my profile, or whatever, and decided to take a swipe
at me in your 1st post, claiming that no one would try to Attack Dallas, etc... etc...

I didn't choose Houston as a nuclear target because I dislike its people or whatever.
I just happened to notice that 1/3 of the area (mostly anything bordering some water)
is covered with Oil refineries, Gas tanks, Oil tanks, and ships carrying Oil.
Basically a HUGE BOMB waiting to be ignited by a lightning strike, etc...

And I added Tyler Texas, just to include one of the 'little guys'. lol
(I knew someone would pick it, too) :P
I think you over estimate the explosive potential of those tanks. Lightning will strike one of them every now and then and they have some explosive potential, however they do not explode to the point of setting off other tanks and causing some sort of chain reaction explosion as you suggest. There is a certain spacing between those tanks that engineers have deemed to be a safe distance for grouping them together. Those tanks have been there for years and have seen several hurricanes and hundreds if not thousands of lightning strikes, I think they know what they're doing in placing them where they are. During a hurricane this explosive potential will be even less. I would be more concerned with an environmental impact at that point.

If any city is targeted by a nuclear warhead, whether or not there are some oil tanks around town will be the least of their worries.

Your fear and envy of Houston is obvious through your obsession. Your hyperbole gives your motives away. Get treatment soon its not too late.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:22 AM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times
Quote:
LOL. I don't know what to say.... Jack.
Houston is a dangerous city and County to live in.
That's why Nasa left, probably. ?
This is totally off topic in your own thread , but JSC (Johnson Space center) is still here. More of your wishful thinking, saying it is gone, you are letting your fantasies get the best of you DarkSide

Johnson Space Center Home | NASA

Old 05-15-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Funny how no one really READ my opening Question, asking people to take into consideration
ALL and ANY kinds of Disaster possibilities. FIRE (Wildfire) was one of the possibilities.
You must not have read the whole thread. I mention fire in my first post:

"Oklahoma City: tornado alley, prairie fires, drought, dust bowl, softball sized hail, Sooners. Like fellow trailer parks, the place is a disaster magnet."

When taking all the original criteria from first post into consideration, Oklahoma City is the answer.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:57 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
You must not have read the whole thread. I mention fire in my first post:

"Oklahoma City: tornado alley, prairie fires, drought, dust bowl, softball sized hail, Sooners. Like fellow trailer parks, the place is a disaster magnet."

When taking all the original criteria from first post into consideration, Oklahoma City is the answer.
Yeah, OKC is definitely exposed to a lot of potential natural disasters but I just don't think any one of them has the capability of truly decimating the entire city, even an F5 tornado. That's why I think cities like Miami and New Orleans would be the more correct answers. A Cat 5 hurricane can do more damage over a larger area than an F5 tornado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City