Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best all around region for Craft beer in The United States?
Greak Lakes:IL, IN, MI, OH, WI 62 22.55%
Mid-AtlanticE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, D.C. 26 9.45%
Midwest: IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD 16 5.82%
Mountain: CO, ID, MT, NV, UT, WY 29 10.55%
New England: CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT 14 5.09%
Northwest: AK, OR, WA 65 23.64%
Pacific: CA, HI 27 9.82%
South: AL, AR, KY, LA, MS, TN 5 1.82%
South-Atlantic: FL, GA, NC, SC, VA, WV 19 6.91%
Southwest: AZ, NM, OK, TX 12 4.36%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 06:15 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times

Advertisements

While I was all about Great Lakes region, after exploring VT and the ME scene more (and having more Trillium and Tree House) I'm switching my vote to New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 06:22 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,891,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
While the whole state of Colorado really holds it's weight, I think CA narrowly beats it out when you merge the craft offerings of The Bay Area, Northern CA, & San Diego County. Heck, even Orange County and LA hold their weight these days with Smog City, The Dudes, Golden Road, El Segundo, Eagle Rock, Santa Monica Brew Co, Craftsman etc. LA for a while was weaker compared to SD. Finally it's catching up.

Besides CA and CO, you really can't go wrong with the offerings of PA, NY, Pacific Northwest, New England etc.
With 100 breweries and brew pubs in the county, employing over 6000 people and approaching $1B in sales I'm gonna stick with San Diego and it's not even close.

Not to say that there are not many other excellent craft breweries and regions in the U.S., it is hard core culture and business here. I definitely enjoy living a couple blocks from "Beer Boulevard, U.S.A.", 30th St., *Burp*

Old 05-09-2015, 08:35 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,052 times
Does beer have terroir? Meaning, does the location of where the hops are grown affect the taste? I don't know, but if so, that would probably make a difference pertaining to the "best" region.

I wonder how much blue laws factor into this? In states where it's much easier to sell beer than it is wine or liquor, I wonder if more established beer-drinking cultures have developed.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:38 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,513,631 times
16 Best Beer Cities in the US

Don't know how great the reporting is because they make some dumb comments about Philadelphia (like there aren't any breweries in brewerytown anymore, which isn't true). Thought it was worth sharing though.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:58 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

Don't know how great the reporting is because they make some dumb comments about Philadelphia (like there aren't any breweries in brewerytown anymore, which isn't true). Thought it was worth sharing though.
I saw that list and I disagree with a bulk of them -- many are not "beer" cities at all. Some have several local breweries to visit (which ANY US city does, even LA) but it's hard to classify majority of them as strong cities with large amount of beer influence and/or distribution. Heck, I was in Minneapolis a few weeks ago for work and none of their beers have made it out to California (or when I'm home visiting) New Jersey. They want to really spotlight any old city for beer they should mention ATL -- I feel like half a dozen local beers are in the city of Atlanta.

When I think beer cities I think of BOS, DEN, SAN, SFO etc. Not NYC, CHI, Portland, Grand Rapids etc.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:01 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
With 100 breweries and brew pubs in the county, employing over 6000 people and approaching $1B in sales I'm gonna stick with San Diego and it's not even close.

Not to say that there are not many other excellent craft breweries and regions in the U.S., it is hard core culture and business here. I definitely enjoy living a couple blocks from "Beer Boulevard, U.S.A.", 30th St., *Burp*
Yep pretty amazing how San Diego has really become a true hub for craft beer. I feel like most in the northeast wouldn't even realize it.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:17 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,679,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

Good article. But you should re-read it, it does not say there are no breweries in brewery town.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:24 PM

104 posts, read 127,092 times
Quote:
Yep pretty amazing how San Diego has really become a true hub for craft beer. I feel like most in the northeast wouldn't even realize it.
It's about on par with Portland, Denver, and Seattle - these are clearly the top 4.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:24 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,962,440 times
Two of my favorite brews come from the Great Lakes (Goose Island and Two Brothers), so they get my vote!

Old 05-12-2015, 11:44 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
Quote:
I saw that list and I disagree with a bulk of them -- many are not "beer" cities at all. Some have several local breweries to visit (which ANY US city does, even LA) but it's hard to classify majority of them as strong cities with large amount of beer influence and/or distribution. Heck, I was in Minneapolis a few weeks ago for work and none of their beers have made it out to California (or when I'm home visiting) New Jersey. They want to really spotlight any old city for beer they should mention ATL -- I feel like half a dozen local beers are in the city of Atlanta.

When I think beer cities I think of BOS, DEN, SAN, SFO etc. Not NYC, CHI, Portland, Grand Rapids etc.
That list is accurate. If you don't think Portland, Chicago and Grand Rapids when you think beer, my assumption is that you're not very knowledgable about the US beer scene.

Portland is easily 1 or 2 (with Denver) and frankly Chicago is underrated on the list (should probably be ahead of Seattle). Grand Rapids is quite easily the best small beer city in the US and punches well above its weight. It's been named Beer City USA by Draft Magazine (IIRC) and HopCat has won numerous best brewpub awards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City