Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best all around region for Craft beer in The United States?
Greak Lakes:IL, IN, MI, OH, WI 62 22.55%
Mid-AtlanticE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, D.C. 26 9.45%
Midwest: IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD 16 5.82%
Mountain: CO, ID, MT, NV, UT, WY 29 10.55%
New England: CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT 14 5.09%
Northwest: AK, OR, WA 65 23.64%
Pacific: CA, HI 27 9.82%
South: AL, AR, KY, LA, MS, TN 5 1.82%
South-Atlantic: FL, GA, NC, SC, VA, WV 19 6.91%
Southwest: AZ, NM, OK, TX 12 4.36%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 09:06 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times

Advertisements

Chicago's best breweries are it's smaller ones. Half Acre, Moody Tongue, Begyle, Metropolitan, Revolution, etc. And to say that Goose Island beer is the same in Chicago as it is everywhere else is dead wrong. There are multiple beers they only keep in Chicago. It seems they have shipped their low quality beer production to NY and Colorado, and kept all the good stuff in Chicago. It's a shame they were bought by AB iNbev at all though.

Regardless, this isn't your favorite beer CITY, so I don't know why everyone is going all loopy. It's about REGION. Chicago has some great breweries, but even better is that it is so close (and in the distribution radius) to many other superb Great Lakes region breweries from Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin. The only place you'll find more Three Floyds on tap than Chicago is Munster itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 09:21 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Laguanita's make some weird IPAs that just tasted like tree bark was thrown into the fermentation process.
Agreed. Ive recently tried the A Lil' Sumpin' Sumpin' and their regular IPA, and couldnt see what all the raving was about. It wasnt horrible, but there are far better IPA's out there. Im not a big IPA guy (porters and stouts are my personal faves), but Lagunitas is sooooo overrated.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:41 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
I think everyone can agree on this - when I first was able to drink legally, there were generally 2-3-4 choices at the local bar, and they were the big national companies. And they were terrible. Europe laughed at our beer. So did Canada (for some reason) and Australia (likewise). "How is American beer like sex in a canoe? Both are f***ing close to water."

Now, those purity laws and hundreds of years of "perfection" are handcuffing the rest of the world while the US piles up international awards. No country comes close to the amount of choices nor the variety nor quality of American microbrews in 2015, and it happened in the blink of an eye.

Prost!

Old 05-15-2015, 02:52 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I think everyone can agree on this - when I first was able to drink legally, there were generally 2-3-4 choices at the local bar, and they were the big national companies. And they were terrible. Europe laughed at our beer. So did Canada (for some reason) and Australia (likewise). "How is American beer like sex in a canoe? Both are f***ing close to water."

Now, those purity laws and hundreds of years of "perfection" are handcuffing the rest of the world while the US piles up international awards. No country comes close to the amount of choices nor the variety nor quality of American microbrews in 2015, and it happened in the blink of an eye.

Prost!
Heck yeah, man! We are kicking arse and taking names. Its good to see our automobiles and beers being recognized worldwide. Its about time we opened our eyes. Look out, world! We're coming!

Old 05-16-2015, 08:16 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Agreed. Ive recently tried the A Lil' Sumpin' Sumpin' and their regular IPA, and couldnt see what all the raving was about. It wasnt horrible, but there are far better IPA's out there. Im not a big IPA guy (porters and stouts are my personal faves), but Lagunitas is sooooo overrated.
Their regular IPA isn't great. It's just a session IPA that doesn't overkill the hops. A Lil' Sumpin' Sumpin' is very good though. It is NOT meant to be an IPA. Just a pale ale. Or a pale wheat ale as they claim, but I get no wheat characteristics. It's citrusy and delicious.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:34 PM

43 posts, read 53,143 times
My favorite breweries are The Bruery (Orange County, CA), Russian River (Santa Rosa, CA), and Almanac (San Francisco), so I had to go with California.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:50 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darjeeling707 View Post
My favorite breweries are The Bruery (Orange County, CA), Russian River (Santa Rosa, CA), and Almanac (San Francisco), so I had to go with California.
Just curious....how many other regions have you been to? Not saying your choice is right or wrong...

Old 05-18-2015, 12:12 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Just curious....how many other regions have you been to? Not saying your choice is right or wrong...
Oh he's right about The Brewery! It is AMAZING. So is Valiant, which is near it as well in Orange, CA. Russian River is rated one of the top beers in CA as well

Seems like Orange County, CA is getting it's act together from a craft beer perspective -- being an offshoot of San Diego County. It's a bit ahead of LA in my opinion as well.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:42 PM

43 posts, read 53,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
All but Midwest & South.

I prefer sour beers (hate IPA's), so my options are somewhat limited.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:39 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
^ I hate IPAs as well. Surprised you haven't branched out very far from the IPA Coast!

For sours, New Glarus is about as good as it gets. Unfortunately for everyone else, it's Wisconsin-only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City