Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best all around region for Craft beer in The United States?
Greak Lakes:IL, IN, MI, OH, WI 62 22.55%
Mid-AtlanticE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, D.C. 26 9.45%
Midwest: IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD 16 5.82%
Mountain: CO, ID, MT, NV, UT, WY 29 10.55%
New England: CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT 14 5.09%
Northwest: AK, OR, WA 65 23.64%
Pacific: CA, HI 27 9.82%
South: AL, AR, KY, LA, MS, TN 5 1.82%
South-Atlantic: FL, GA, NC, SC, VA, WV 19 6.91%
Southwest: AZ, NM, OK, TX 12 4.36%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:34 PM

4 posts, read 6,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
But that's the problem with beer advocate - for whatever reason, Beer Advocate skews against certain regions (including the Pacific Northwest). Not sure if it's because of where it's based, or who the primary reviewers are, but that's the case.

Oregon and Washington absolutely demolished at the North American Beer Awards (one of the - if not the - premiere beer competition in North America), and I think that's a more valid way to judge. Washington beers won 30 awards and Oregon won 25.

Washington Beer Commission » Washington Breweries Win Big at NABA Awards

Oregon Winners at the 2013 Great American Beer Festival | BREWPUBLIC - Yeast, Malt, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Also, just from common sense, the PNW is known as one of the top microbrew regions in the country - it's where the most hops are grown, it's where the first North American microbrewery was, it's where the culture is perhaps most mainstream etc. I can't explain what's going on with Beer Advocate, but it seems skewed.
It may be true that Beer Advocate does skew heavily against the Pacific Northwest and that PNW beers win a lot of awards, but you seem to be unaware of other great award-winning beers that are being brewed elsewhere in the country. I love PNW beers but Great Lakes microbrews offer more of a different, less hoppy style which are high quality in their own right and which some people may prefer.

Last edited by erikgreen32; 05-14-2014 at 11:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 03:48 AM

5,476 posts, read 3,916,864 times
Surprised to see the Greak Lakes (I'm loyal to the original text) winning so handily (small sample size, I realize, but), esp given that Southern Tier, clearly one of the best breweries in the Greak Lakes or otherwise, is here categorized as Mid-Atlantic.

(drinking a Southern Tier IPA as we type)

Bell's and Founders really that popular? I hear great things about Three Floyds, and that's one I've never tried. Is that the basis for the margin? I'll have to check back and read the comments, now, won't I

Old 05-15-2014, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Ahem, Great Lakes would be OH, not WI. Cleveland, OH specifically.
I've had all their major releases, and I find them all to be mediocre

Old 05-15-2014, 04:03 AM

Given Southern Tier, Ommegang, Victory, Dogfishhead all being grouped together, I'm actually going to be a homer and go Mid-Atlantic. Had NY been classified with the Greak Lakes then I would've gone with CA. I haven't had enough PNW beers yet; I suspect there's nothing better than an IPA in that part of the country at this time of year.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:05 AM

For the 5 people who voted for the states listed as "Midwest" (or anyone else who cares to answer): I've literally never seen a microbrew that hails from these states. What are the best ones from there?

Old 05-15-2014, 04:59 AM

120 posts, read 107,364 times
Has to be the Northwest... more interesting brews coming from there than anywhere else. Though CA has a historical claim because Fritz Maytag founded the first actual "microbrewery" when he revived Anchor Brewing in 1965 in San Francisco.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:22 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
But that's the problem with beer advocate - for whatever reason, Beer Advocate skews against certain regions (including the Pacific Northwest). Not sure if it's because of where it's based, or who the primary reviewers are, but that's the case.

Oregon and Washington absolutely demolished at the North American Beer Awards (one of the - if not the - premiere beer competition in North America), and I think that's a more valid way to judge. Washington beers won 30 awards and Oregon won 25.

Washington Beer Commission » Washington Breweries Win Big at NABA Awards

Oregon Winners at the 2013 Great American Beer Festival | BREWPUBLIC - Yeast, Malt, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Also, just from common sense, the PNW is known as one of the top microbrew regions in the country - it's where the most hops are grown, it's where the first North American microbrewery was, it's where the culture is perhaps most mainstream etc. I can't explain what's going on with Beer Advocate, but it seems skewed.
Well that certainly may be true, I can't really tell what's going on either. At first I thought that maybe it was because the Pac NW (and the Intermountain West for that matter) isn't as heavily populated as the other bigger areas (Midwest, NE, CA) so maybe just not enough people rating the beers. But then you have breweries in relatively podunk places such as in Bible Belt Oklahoma getting a lot of ratings and having numerous beers making the list.

The link wouldn't work for the 2014 winners list and there was no 2013 list, but looking at 2012 winners for the WBC, it doesn't seem like the Pac NW "dominates". In fact if anywhere is, it is the Intermountain West, especially Colorado.

http://www.worldbeercup.org/wp-conte...ners-List1.pdf

Same thing for the Great American Beer Festival. I see a lot from Oregon, but a lot more winners from CO. Though I'm taking both lists with a grain of salt because the GABF gave Miller High Life a silver medal in best American style lager, and the WBC gave Coors Light a gold in best American style lager and Michelob Ultra a silver. Steel Reserve got a gold in best American-style premium lager. Call me a beer snob but no, just no

http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival...BF_winners.pdf

Old 05-15-2014, 08:28 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Surprised to see the Greak Lakes (I'm loyal to the original text) winning so handily (small sample size, I realize, but), esp given that Southern Tier, clearly one of the best breweries in the Greak Lakes or otherwise, is here categorized as Mid-Atlantic.

(drinking a Southern Tier IPA as we type)

Bell's and Founders really that popular? I hear great things about Three Floyds, and that's one I've never tried. Is that the basis for the margin? I'll have to check back and read the comments, now, won't I
Yeah, I just went off of the OP's criteria for regions and he wanted NY to be Mid-Atlantic. I've never tried Southern Tier but I've heard good things about it.

I know Bell's and Founder's are pretty popular in the Midwest but going back to what I was saying before, probably not well-known outside of their primary distribution areas. Though I want to say I've seen it offered in a few restaurants in Southern California when I lived there.. it might have just been other breweries.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:38 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
The problem is that a lot of microbreweries only have a regional distribution so someone in say San Diego may not know about or have had the opportunity to try Three Floyd's, Bell's, Founders, and New Glarus (all highly rated Great Lakes breweries) while someone in Chicago OTOH may not know about Green Flash, Ballast Point, or Bruery (all highly rated SoCal breweries).

Part of me sort of likes it. In a world of globalization and cultural dilution, it's nice to have something that distinguishes different areas of the country. I think it'd be a little boring if all the good beers were all distributed nationally.
Love Bells, Founders, and Ballast Point - so many great bears so little time

Best thing today is there really are some pretty stellar beers being produced all over the country

Excited for beer week coming up in these parts - Philly has really become a great craft beer town in the last 10-15 years - Victory kind of started the whole thing in these parts and just keeps getting better

Philly Beer Week 2014 * May 30 - June 8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City