Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 03:32 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Agreed. Outside of Alexandria, most of NoVa feels pretty new. The Maryland suburbs definitely feel older and with a lot more character, especially the old streetcar suburbs and the Inner-Beltway communities. Downtown Silver Spring looks well-weathered and even Wheaton looks fairly gritty, similar to Colmar Manor and Mount Rainier. There's also a larger concentration of old money blue bloods here on the Maryland side of the DMV as well.
Agreed, I've always looked at DC as a quasi-extension of Maryland in a way-although I guess that may be because I'm always coming into DC from MD. I have family in Rockville which is a such a model set-up for a suburb IMO. A lot of NOVA does feel too new/fake for me, especially with the MIC concentrated there, but Alexandria is great-very beautiful city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 03:41 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,206,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze1100 View Post
No it doesn't. Nova is so much more developed and urbanized than the suburbs of MD. It even has a skyline when looking at it across the Potomac from DC. Not to mention its highway system is far more developed than MD's. DC to me does not feel like its apart of MD. Only EOTR does. Your comparison doesn't make sense.
FYI, Silver Spring and Bethesda also have skylines. And even though DC has its own vibe, it still feels like it has more in common with MD than it does with VA. Btw, Georgetown used to be part of Maryland prior to DC's creation as is the rest of DC.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Agreed, I've always looked at DC as a quasi-extension of Maryland in a way-although I guess that may be because I'm always coming into DC from MD. I have family in Rockville which is a such a model set-up for a suburb IMO. A lot of NOVA does feel too new/fake for me, especially with the MIC concentrated there, but Alexandria is great-very beautiful city.
Definitely. I told myself that if I decide to live on the other side of the Potomac, I want to live in Alexandria!

Old 05-24-2014, 04:38 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Yeah, Alexandria (where my house is) was originally apart of the District of Columbia, as was Arlington County in Northern Virginia too. From an outsiders perspective, I see little to no difference between Alexandria and Arlington with Washington culturally speaking, they are practically the same thing.

As for Northern Virginia. I mean honestly, it's just the Washington metropolitan area's version of Orange County, California / Northern New Jersey / Fort Bend County, Texas / DuPage County, Illinois / Collin County, Texas / Broward County, Florida / San Mateo and Contra Costa Counties, California and such and such. It's a highly transient bedroom community with impeccable diversity, multitude of office space and edge cities, and vast suburban shopping and dining options, similar in the demographical and physical function to the places I listed above.
The other distinctive factor is the high cost of living and the broad level of affluence among a large population.

I think that only the New York City metro area and the Boston area on the east coast and the Bay area and Los Angeles area on the west coast have this characteristic.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:00 PM

673 posts, read 1,186,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Not denying that. Washington is a true power-keg when it comes to affluence and wealth creation, particularly for the upper middle income bracket.

Notes: My own screenshot of the Brookings article.

However, think about it like this. Which of the two cities dominates Maryland more? The one actually in Maryland and surrounded by Maryland on all of it's sides or the one not in Maryland and only surrounded by it on one of it's two major sides? Washington has a huge hand in Maryland, of course, nearly equal to that of Baltimore, due to it's big suburbs there but I have to say Baltimore would hold the edge here, no?
This

Old 06-19-2014, 03:01 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,399,862 times
Baltimore I guess, because DC does not identify with Maryland at all,
from what I have heard, so why should Maryland give DC that privilege?

Old 06-19-2014, 03:27 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,104 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Baltimore I guess, because DC does not identify with Maryland at all,
from what I have heard, so why should Maryland give DC that privilege?

Because DC still impacts MD.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
This.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:09 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,399,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
This.
Ok. I still feel that there are equal if not more Marylanders that don't even go to DC or even mess with Washington like that.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Ok. I still feel that there are equal if not more Marylanders that don't even go to DC or even mess with Washington like that.
A lot of us have family and even friends in DC and we go there to chill with them. You'll see Marylanders hanging out in Gallery Place and Georgetown a lot and of course, most of us Marylanders go into the City to hit the nightlife scene up and many concerts and events. When there's nothing to do in the 'burbs, we drive or hop on Metro to have some fun in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City