Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 05:25 PM

249 posts, read 399,341 times

Advertisements

Matta fact Baltimore influences the DC area as far as the seafood culture.
Im from DC but im just spittin facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 06:52 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
I mentioned Six Flags as a testament to if Baltimore were all that great, why would they position it in PG then. I personally could care less about the place...And ok now your comparing all of Baltimore MSA to Prince George's? That wasn't what the original topic of discussion was. Combined Montgomery + PG >Majority of Baltimore MSA at worst equal to, and that's just 2 counties. Which equates to DC's influence being as strong if not stronger over at least the Central portion of the state.

I didn't mention Andrews AFB, National Harbor, and or everything Montgomery County has to offer because then it would become lopsided. BWI is the glue holding together the rest of your MSA outside of the 695 beltway.

Oh and ok I'll give you NSA... Which is maybe 8 mins max from DC MSA border.

Last edited by the resident09; 05-18-2014 at 07:12 PM..

Old 05-18-2014, 06:54 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthEast Coast 202 View Post
Baltimore hands down.
Even parts of PG has Baltimore influence.
Hahaha! Please show me. Lmao!

Old 05-18-2014, 07:44 PM

673 posts, read 1,187,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I mentioned Six Flags as a testament to if Baltimore were all that great, why would they position it in PG then. I personally could care less about the place...And ok now your comparing all of Baltimore MSA to Prince George's? That wasn't what the original topic of discussion was. Combined Montgomery + PG >Majority of Baltimore MSA at worst equal to, and that's just 2 counties. Which equates to DC's influence being as strong if not stronger over at least the Central portion of the state.

I didn't mention Andrews AFB, National Harbor, and or everything Montgomery County has to offer because then it would become lopsided. BWI is the glue holding together the rest of your MSA outside of the 695 beltway.

First of all what does a theme park have to do with making a city great?? Before Six Flags was even built it was a former water park for PG COUNTY residents. Baltimore City proper is so urbanized and lacks available land for such a large amusement park. Since the water park had enough land and was at an ideal location with access to 495 and 301 six flags chose that particular location. It also saved money because they didn't have to construct much of the park because it was already a water park.

You started listing all of PG's top employers and I started listing Baltimore Co and Anne Arundel Co because you claimed PG was the Second leading business district behind Baltimore City. Which is very misleading. Just because the County's population is at 850,000 plus does not mean its the states leading business district. LLS. Why do you think people move to PG? They move there for easy access to DC and the surrounding metropolitan area.

Baltimore's MSA and DC's are about equal. But Baltimore's has more of the edge in the state. Not to mention the Port of Baltimore. Why do you think they combined them? DC's influence only really covers Montgomery and PG in Maryland. Frederick is evenly split between Baltimore and DC. Charles and Calvert we could care less about. There almost completely rural and so isolated all the way in deep Southern MD. Probably one of the least populated counties in the state.

And BWI is holding us together?! AHAHA, BWI if anything is boosting the growth in the region.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:56 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

Think about it. Six flags AMERICA ...DC: Capitol of the United States of AMERICA......get it?

Old 05-18-2014, 09:03 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,824,761 times
Doesn't NY pretty much dominate I've never been there but always been under impression that Washington D.C. and Baltimore are suburbs of NY .

Old 05-18-2014, 09:10 PM

673 posts, read 1,187,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Doesn't NY pretty much dominate I've never been there but always been under impression that Washington D.C. and Baltimore are suburbs of NY .
No. Baltimore and DC are in there own regions. There both major cities. Saying a Major city is a suburb of another major city is invalid. Yes New York is the financial capitol and does dominate other cities in the Northeastern corridor financially and economically but in no way is DC or Baltimore a suburb of New York. There over 200 miles apart. That's like saying San Francisco a suburb of Los Angelos or Philly a suburb of Boston. They are however all three linked together by Interstate 95, Amtrak, and Job Markets.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:41 PM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
This article and map give some good insights on how wealth is distributed in the Washington region (and in metro areas across America):

Washington: A world apart | The Washington Post

Old 05-18-2014, 11:41 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthEast Coast 202 View Post
Baltimore hands down.
Even parts of PG has Baltimore influence.
Lol Whatever you say MahatmaX

Old 05-18-2014, 11:42 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
That's some interesting logic. May I ask your grade in Geography class?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City