Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 05:30 PM

673 posts, read 1,189,839 times

Advertisements

Just curious to you guys think. Which city dominates Maryland as a whole?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 05:26 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,744,128 times
That is somewhat of a tricky question as there are many variables that come into play in terms of each cities importance and position in the region. From a sports fan point of view it appears that the Baltimore teams dominate the state in general. From a business and economic development perspective I think its about 50/50. Consider the fact that while the DC Suburbs have a large swath of white collar job positions, the Baltimore suburbs overall have just as many while still being home to important Government agencies including the SSA/CMS and the ever viably important Port of Baltimore, which is an economic engine unto itself.

The DC Metro holds many vibrant and important suburbs such as Rockville, Bethesda, and Frederick. Conversely, the same could be said for Baltimore with areas such as Ellicott City/Columbia and Towson.

My overall conclusion is that the Balt/Wash. corridor is a fairly even partnership within the state of Maryland. I believe the relationship is alot more balanced overall than the Northern VA vs. the rest of VA dynamic that is seen to the south.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:11 AM

27,633 posts, read 28,738,299 times
I would have to say Washington, D.C., because the federal government is the core of the wealth economy of Maryland and is the biggest reason that Maryland is presently the highest-income state.

Baltimore is also economically and culturally influential in Maryland. However, it is dwarfed by the presence and importance of Washington, D.C.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:18 AM

867 posts, read 1,399,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post

My overall conclusion is that the Balt/Wash. corridor is a fairly even partnership within the state of Maryland. I believe the relationship is alot more balanced overall than the Northern VA vs. the rest of VA dynamic that is seen to the south.
You would be wrong in your conclusion. There is no "northern VA" vs the rest of VA. There is no "rest of VA". SMH. Second, The Port of Virginia/Hampton Roads and HR in general has ALWAYS pulled its own weight and more than its fair share for far longer when "northern VA" was just a place for dairy farms, foxhunting, and for people to scared to live in DC to live. Richmond holds well over its fair share of F500 companies balancing out the state. Plus as far as culture and representation...that is the 7 Cities -Hampton Roads handsdown.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:20 AM

2,413 posts, read 1,537,123 times
Baltimore holds sway over Maryland, while DC holds sway over the greater NOVA MD region.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:39 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,406,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
You would be wrong in your conclusion. There is no "northern VA" vs the rest of VA. There is no "rest of VA". SMH. Second, The Port of Virginia/Hampton Roads and HR in general has ALWAYS pulled its own weight and more than its fair share for far longer when "northern VA" was just a place for dairy farms, foxhunting, and for people to scared to live in DC to live. Richmond holds well over its fair share of F500 companies balancing out the state. Plus as far as culture and representation...that is the 7 Cities -Hampton Roads handsdown.
Uh, it's no secret that the rest of Virginia doesn't like Northern Virginia because we're much more liberal than the rest of the state, we supposedly think we're better, we're not as Southern, we don't like to claim we're from Virginia etc. This is stuff you can read in threads on the main Virginia board so that poster was actually correct.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:59 AM

1,810 posts, read 1,964,310 times
MD really has four cities that influence it depending on the state. DC's main sphere of influence is Montgomery and Prince George's counties, with Charles a solid third, followed by Frederick county, with some lesser influences in Washington and parts of Howard and Anne Arundel counties close to the Montgomery/PG county lines. Baltimore's influence is of course Baltimore county, Carroll County, Harford County, most of Anne Arundel and Howard, with most of the eastern shore having a decent sphere of influence for folks wanting to go the big city. Lower Southern Maryland is influenced by DC/Balt about equally with a side of Richmond, though its residents seem to be in their own bubble. Garrett county is in Pittsburgh's sphere of influence, with Allegany a PGH/BAL/DC mix with Cumberland ever so slightly closer to Pittsburgh than Baltimore/DC. Cecil county is Baltimore influenced in Port Deposit and Perryville and Philly influenced elsewhere. Eastern Kent county also has some Philly influence, despite being quite a bit closer to Baltimore.
That said, in terms of areal influence from largest to smallest:

1. Baltimore
2. DC
3. Pittsburgh
4. Philadelphia
5. Richmond

Population influence:
1. DC/Baltimore (tie)
3. Philadelphia
4. Pittsburgh
5. Richmond

Old 05-16-2014, 09:40 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,017,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monello View Post
Baltimore holds sway over Maryland, while DC holds sway over the greater NOVA MD region.
Baltimore also has the advantage of having its entire MSA in the state of Maryland, while Washington DC does not.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:15 AM

867 posts, read 1,399,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Uh, it's no secret that the rest of Virginia doesn't like Northern Virginia because we're much more liberal than the rest of the state, we supposedly think we're better, we're not as Southern, we don't like to claim we're from Virginia etc. This is stuff you can read in threads on the main Virginia board so that poster was actually correct.
Its ALL in YOUR mind. There is no "rest of the state" except to the sheltered ridiculous transplants and such in "northern VA". Do you know how Black the 757- HR is? Richmond? "northern VA" is not really on MOST peoples radar...a non factor...except maybe for Richmond. You know how many people don't even think about going to DC let alone Alexandria or Tysons Corner from here?...SOME people may go there to shop...but most people used to head straight to NYC...that's why they had so many Chinese buses goin there since way back when. Some may seek employment after graduation.

The "rest of the state don't like us" ...according to what? More than likely its your "rest of the state" attitude is what people don't like. Who is known from "NoVA"? People KNOW Allen Iverson, Mike Vick, Aaron Brooks, Mike Tomlin, Al Toon, Pharrell/ Neptunes/N.E.R.D./ Clipse/ Pusha, Deangelo Hall, Bruce Smith, Lawrence Taylor, Kam Chancellor, Percy Harvin, Plaxico, Sweat Pea Whitaker, William Fuller, Alonzo Morning, BJ and Justin Upton, Ryan Zimmerman, Missy and Timberland, LaShawn Meritt, Gabby Douglas etc etc etc. that's just people off the top of my head from the 757-Tidewater!, we smile when we see their success...I could go on and on and on. Not to mention Richmond. These people don't have to yell "two up two down" every 5 mins. we know they representing us. Real live VA representatives. Where "NoVA" at?

When George Mason made it to the final four a lot of people wanted them to win as well even though they are rivals with VCU. VCU is ODUs rival also. But they are from Virginia. Youd be surprised how many "real" Northern Virginians have moved into Chesapeake, Virginia Beach, and Williamsburg. There are many who have fled "NoVA" calling it cultureless/soulless...maybe there is something to it. This CD forum is not real reality. Most of us DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT northern VA down here like that to hate it. Get off the CD forums and hit the streets. Now, SWVA is a whole other situation and I don't know what to say about the place but I would imagine they would feel the same about Richmond and definitely HR because the only time people from here go out there is to play football for Tech(if that's considered SWVA) or to go to penitentiary. Plus they probably feel neglected by the state and "NoVA's" an easy target, I don't know. I wouldn't call them "the rest of VA" I would call them what ever they go by. For real, the 757 IS VIRGINIA and everywhere else is "the rest of Virginia"...we run this sheet. LOL. NoVA's alright, condescending snooty transplanted individuals who are not even from VA or atleast neighboring states...are not. Especially when they claim theyre representing VA...... 7 CITIES...That's what WE DO. We represent.

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 05-16-2014 at 10:26 AM..

Old 05-16-2014, 10:34 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,406,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Its ALL in YOUR mind. There is no "rest of the state" except to the sheltered ridiculous transplants and such in "northern VA". Do you know how Black the 757- HR is? Richmond? "northern VA" is not really on MOST peoples radar...a non factor...except maybe for Richmond. You know how many people don't even think about going to DC let alone Alexandria or Tysons Corner from here?...SOME people may go there to shop...but most people used to head straight to NYC...that's why they had so many Chinese buses goin there since way back when. Some may seek employment after graduation.

The "rest of the state don't like us" ...according to what? More than likely its your "rest of the state" attitude is what people don't like. Who is known from "NoVA"? People KNOW Allen Iverson, Mike Vick, Aaron Brooks, Mike Tomlin, Al Toon, Pharrell/ Neptunes/N.E.R.D./ Clipse/ Pusha, Deangelo Hall, Bruce Smith, Lawrence Taylor, Kam Chancellor, Percy Harvin, Plaxico, Sweat Pea Whitaker, William Fuller, Alonzo Morning, BJ and Justin Upton, Ryan Zimmerman, Missy and Timberland, LaShawn Meritt, Gabby Douglas etc etc etc. that's just people off the top of my head from the 757-Tidewater!, we smile when we see their success...I could go on and on and on. Not to mention Richmond. These people don't have to yell "two up two down" every 5 mins. we know they representing us. Real live VA representatives. Where "NoVA" at?

When George Mason made it to the final four a lot of people wanted them to win as well even though they are rivals with VCU. VCU is ODUs rival also. But they are from Virginia. Youd be surprised how many "real" Northern Virginians have moved into Chesapeake, Virginia Beach, and Williamsburg. There are many who have fled "NoVA" calling it cultureless/soulless...maybe there is something to it. This CD forum is not real reality. Most of us DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT northern VA down here like that to hate it. Get off the CD forums and hit the streets. Now, SWVA is a whole other situation and I don't know what to say about the place but I would imagine they would feel the same about Richmond and definitely HR because the only time people from here go out there is to play football for Tech(if that's considered SWVA) or to go to penitentiary. Plus they probably feel neglected by the state and "NoVA's" an easy target, I don't know. I wouldn't call them "the rest of VA" I would call them what ever they go by. For real, the 757 IS VIRGINIA and everywhere else is "the rest of Virginia"...we run this sheet. LOL. NoVA's alright, condescending snooty transplanted individuals who are not even from VA or atleast neighboring states...are not. Especially when they claim theyre representing VA...... 7 CITIES...That's what WE DO. We represent.
Lol, dude...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City