Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose your preferred city to live or visit.
Charleston 22 31.43%
New Orleans 25 35.71%
Savannah 23 32.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 12:18 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Ugh, have you been to them? The ocean is nothing like Hawaii. The ocean water is brown and murky. No snorkeling, no scuba. The water is plain ugly.
As I stated earlier, no I haven't been to either city. Of course the beaches ain't Hawaii (almost nowhere can come close to Hawaii for beaches) but they still don't look too bad. I'd visit them for sure if I was in town during warm weather.

Also, Savannah can grow Queen Palms:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 12:27 PM

145 posts, read 200,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Nawlins is perhaps the most awesome city in the Southeast to visit, but it is NOT a place you'd want to live. Believe that.
Speak for yourself. The fact that you keep calling it NAWLINS proves to me that your experience with the city is limited.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:33 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
NOLA has no beaches; that's the point. Say what you will about the quality of the beaches near Charleston and Savannah, they still have an advantage over NOLA in actually having beaches in close proximity.
Well there are beaches about 45 minutes away on the Mississippi coast (though the quality is not that great). Farther away than Charleston and Savannah's beaches but still in somewhat decent proximity.

Quote:
You know, I've been to New Orleans and I found to be a very unique and culturally significant place. In my visit though, I also said to myself: "This place is as filthy as everyone said it would be."

Now in all 1,204,040,094,004,050 times that I've been to Savannah, not once have I ever said to myself: "Savannah (or Charleston for that matter) is filthy, populated by strange looking individuals, and visibly economically depressed." Nope, not once.

New Orleans has its pluses, but baby beauty (on the level of Charleston or Savannah) ain't one of them.

We can just agree to disagree on this one....
Maybe on Bourbon Street New Orleans is dirty but the rest of the city is about as clean as the average city. New Orleans is just like any other city (including Savannah and Charleston) it has its good and bad parts and the good parts are just as beautiful as they are in Savannah or Charleston.

Quote:
Nawlins is perhaps the most awesome city in the Southeast to visit, but it is NOT a place you'd want to live. Believe that.
Sounds like an old stereotype. New Orleans is a great place to live.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:47 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
NOLA is on the rebound these days. It still has a lot of work to do, but progress is definitely being made and the city's recovery continues. New census estimates show continued growth in New Orleans, St. Bernard | Home | The New Orleans Advocate

Old 05-18-2014, 01:50 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
New Orleans of course, arguably the most fun night time city that I've been to in this country.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:29 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacao View Post
Speak for yourself. The fact that you keep calling it NAWLINS proves to me that your experience with the city is limited.
Yeah limited to 7 consecutive days. You mad cause I call it Nawlins? Bite me.

And in my experience, most of the city is filthy.

Pull the plug out of your butt and release the tension. You'll be better off that way.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
NOLA is on the rebound these days. It still has a lot of work to do, but progress is definitely being made and the city's recovery continues. New census estimates show continued growth in New Orleans, St. Bernard | Home | The New Orleans Advocate
I agree it's in recovery mode, but let's not act like New Orleans was a sparkling, modern, or well kept city like Charlotte or Nashville prior to Katrina.

Even Lil Wayne has called New Orleans something similar to a third world country.

That's a bit of a stretch BUT the fact is that, collectively, only a small area of that big city is what most would consider beautiful (in comparison to SAV or Charleston).

If that's not the case, let me argue that Birmingham is a booming metropolis, and that Raleigh is an urban paradise.

Lord folks on CD do the most in defense of the OBVIOUS (not directed at you 77).

Last edited by isawooty; 05-18-2014 at 04:52 PM..

Old 05-18-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
Well there are beaches about 45 minutes away on the Mississippi coast (though the quality is not that great). Farther away than Charleston and Savannah's beaches but still in somewhat decent proximity.

Maybe on Bourbon Street New Orleans is dirty but the rest of the city is about as clean as the average city. New Orleans is just like any other city (including Savannah and Charleston) it has its good and bad parts and the good parts are just as beautiful as they are in Savannah or Charleston.

Sounds like an old stereotype. New Orleans is a great place to live.
I haven't been in 5 years, but I'm going in September. I'll make sure to explore and see how much has changed.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:05 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
I agree it's in recovery mode, but let's not act like New Orleans was a sparkling, modern, or well kept city like Charlotte or Nashville prior to Katrina.

Even Lil Wayne has called New Orleans something similar to a third world country.

That's a bit of a stretch BUT the fact is that, collectively, only a small area of that big city is what most would consider beautiful (in comparison to SAV or Charleston).

If that's not the case, let me argue that Birmingham is a booming metropolis, and that Raleigh is an urban paradise.

Lord folks on CD do the most in defense of the OBVIOUS (not directed at you 77).
It's certainly no secret that NOLA had some major problems pre-Katrina, but the storm dramatically altered the trajectory of the city in a good way. I just think the sentiment that the city is a good place to visit but not to live is somewhat outdated now.

As far as beauty goes, that's subjective but I do think it exists in areas outside of the French Quarter. Elements of Urbanism: New Orleans | Metro Jacksonville

Old 05-18-2014, 06:42 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Well, Savannah is widely considered the most beautiful city in North America, and that obviously includes both Charleston and New Orleans. While those two cities have their own beauty, there are elements of beauty in Savannah -- the squares, Forsyth Park, the amazing variety of architecture -- that the other two simply can't match.

Most beautiful city I've visited - Review of Savannah Historic District, Savannah, GA - TripAdvisor

savannah - america's most beautiful city - SkyscraperPage Forum

"Quotes" about Savannah Photo Gallery by Jeff Cochran at pbase.com

Savannah is so beautiful, it will make you cry. -- unknown, Pittsburgh, PA

SAVANNAH is the most beautiful place I have ever seen in The United States. On a trip to Florida, driving from Massachusetts, my father, brother and I decided to stop in Savannah on the way to Florida. I had never been there and when we arrived, I was spellbound by the absolute beauty of it. -- Colleen Levesque, North Attleboro, MA. www.epinions.com

"There are vaster and wealthier cities, but for architectural simplicity, for an indescribable charm about its streets and buildings, its parks and squares, there is but one Savannah. Without a rival, without an equal, it stands unique." --Timothy Harley, a minister who visited Savannah late in the nineteenth century.

"If you have time to visit only one city in the Southeast, make it Savannah. It's that special." -- frommers.com

Last edited by Newsboy; 05-18-2014 at 07:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City