Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: With out census numbers which city feels larger in Population?
Dallas 13 8.84%
Los Angeles 67 45.58%
Chicago 44 29.93%
Houston 10 6.80%
Atlanta 10 6.80%
Miami 3 2.04%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 11:11 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,925 times

Advertisements

Chicago
Los Angeles
Houston
Atlanta
Dallas
Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 11:16 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Dallas does deserve spot number 3 because when driving the city it feel so massive and in North Dallas with all the urban areas and the high fives intersection just makes it feel larger then Houston,Miami and Atlanta.
I've been to Dallas more times than I can count as I visit several friends who live there throughout the year. It doesn't feel any bigger than Houston or any other big city. Especially when it comes to which one feels like it has a bigger population.

The only thing that makes Dallas feel like it has a massive population is the traffic and I'd say every big city in the U.S. feels that way.

There will be areas of just about every city that will make us feel like that city has a booming population. But as a whole cities like Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and Austin just aren't on that massive in population feel.

Anyone who tries to say Houston or Dallas or Atlanta have a drastically bigger population feel over the other is lying. Nothing about those cities scream massive population over the other.

Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta are pretty much equal when it comes to how big it feels in population. Each has districts that feel big and each have districts that feel less crowded. But neither of the cities feel like LA, Chicago, or Miami when it comes to population.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:39 PM

Other than LA, I have spent the most time in Houston & Dallas (out of the selected cities) and I still didn't really know where to put those two (other than Houston feels more crowded / bigger than Dallas to me). All I was really sure of is that in my anecdotal experiences, Chicago was #1 (though a case could def be made for LA) & Miami was last. I haven't been to Atlanta as much as most of the options, but I am always surprised by how crowded it feels (not in general, but compared to what I expect[ed]).

Old 05-24-2014, 01:00 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
I haven't been to Chicago or Los Angeles, but I've been to the other 4. City-limit wise, Miami felt the smallest. But metro-wise, and from a population standpoint, Miami feels larger than ATL, Houston, and Dallas. Miamis' continued density makes it feel larger in terms of population than the other 4, because it feels like development in the other 4 kinda skips around from skyscrapers to woods, to plazas, to woods, to neighborhoods to woods. I feel like there's so much more space to build in the other 4 Southern metro areas than there is in South Florida.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:17 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I've been to Dallas more times than I can count as I visit several friends who live there throughout the year. It doesn't feel any bigger than Houston or any other big city. Especially when it comes to which one feels like it has a bigger population.

The only thing that makes Dallas feel like it has a massive population is the traffic and I'd say every big city in the U.S. feels that way.

There will be areas of just about every city that will make us feel like that city has a booming population. But as a whole cities like Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and Austin just aren't on that massive in population feel.

Anyone who tries to say Houston or Dallas or Atlanta have a drastically bigger population feel over the other is lying. Nothing about those cities scream massive population over the other.

Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta are pretty much equal when it comes to how big it feels in population. Each has districts that feel big and each have districts that feel less crowded. But neither of the cities feel like LA, Chicago, or Miami when it comes to population.
I see that you reside in Houston so that is going to be automatically hate toward Dallas.
Dallas is the fourth largest metro in the America and there is a lot of driving to do in Dallas.
Downtown Dallas to Uptown Dallas is nothing but urban and really makes Dallas look like a city up in the Northeast.I can really tell if people been to Dallas or speaking on hear say or just hating.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:21 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Los Angeles
Chicago
Dallas
Houston
Miami
Atlanta

Old 05-24-2014, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Downtown Dallas to Uptown Dallas is nothing but urban and really makes Dallas look like a city up in the Northeast.I can really tell if people been to Dallas or speaking on hear say or just hating.
I can really tell if someone has been to the northeast. Or are you talking about a city like Worcester or something?

Old 05-24-2014, 09:13 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
I see that you reside in Houston so that is going to be automatically hate toward Dallas.
Dallas is the fourth largest metro in the America and there is a lot of driving to do in Dallas.
That is such a tiny pocket of Dallas though. It's really not that much of an area.

Quote:
Dallas does deserve spot number 3 because when driving the city it feel so massive and in North Dallas with all the urban areas and the high fives intersection just makes it feel larger then Houston,Miami and Atlanta.
Dallas has the one high five intersection. There are like five of those around Houston. DFW feels like the larger region because there are so many different call cities on the freeway signage and with the hills you can see so much open space. I would say Houston feels like the larger city because there are buildings everywhere, the freeways are larger, it feels more fast paced, and there are stack interchanges similar in height to the high five all over the city. Atlanta, because of the hills and trees that block views, doesn't feel as large as the other two, imo. Not to mention all of the small town country roads around the metro, while Houston and Dallas have larger streets setup in a grid.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:39 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
I'm not getting this Dallas feeling bigger than Houston thing. I'm really not.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:09 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times
Another Dallas vs Houston thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City