Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: With out census numbers which city feels larger in Population?
Dallas 13 8.84%
Los Angeles 67 45.58%
Chicago 44 29.93%
Houston 10 6.80%
Atlanta 10 6.80%
Miami 3 2.04%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 12:11 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Another Dallas vs Houston thread.
Just because two cities are taking their turns being discussed does not mean its a Dallas vs Houston thread. It was LA vs Chicago at first huh? Chill out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 01:33 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
I see that you reside in Houston so that is going to be automatically hate toward Dallas.
Dallas is the fourth largest metro in the America and there is a lot of driving to do in Dallas.
Downtown Dallas to Uptown Dallas is nothing but urban and really makes Dallas look like a city up in the Northeast.I can really tell if people been to Dallas or speaking on hear say or just hating.
I don't have an automatic hate for Dallas. I just told you I go there often every year. I love it there. Several of my friends live there and we always have fun things to do while I'm there. I've just never noticed anything different about the population when I go there compared to Houston. Seems about the same.

Downtown Dallas and Uptown Dallas look nothing like the northeast cities. That's not a knock against Dallas. Looking like a northeast city doesn't necessarily mean better. I happen to like the way Uptown and Downtown Dallas look and see no reason to compare it to NYC, Boston, Philly, or D.C.

Downtown Dallas and Uptown Dallas look like Downtown Houston and Midtown Houston.

Stop trying to make Dallas something that it's not. Be proud of what it is.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:17 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I don't have an automatic hate for Dallas. I just told you I go there often every year. I love it there. Several of my friends live there and we always have fun things to do while I'm there. I've just never noticed anything different about the population when I go there compared to Houston. Seems about the same.

Downtown Dallas and Uptown Dallas look nothing like the northeast cities. That's not a knock against Dallas. Looking like a northeast city doesn't necessarily mean better. I happen to like the way Uptown and Downtown Dallas look and see no reason to compare it to NYC, Boston, Philly, or D.C.

Downtown Dallas and Uptown Dallas look like Downtown Houston and Midtown Houston.

Stop trying to make Dallas something that it's not. Be proud of what it is.
Just listen to yourself and think about what you just said.
Dallas uptown and downtown are basically connect and as for Houston ha ha ha ha that was the biggest laugh ever saying that Houston is the same as Dallas when it come's to uptown and downtown being connect.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Dallas uptown and downtown are basically connect and as for Houston ha ha ha ha that was the biggest laugh ever saying that Houston is the same as Dallas when it come's to uptown and downtown being connect.
Thats because you're going off of name alone. Houston's version of Dallas' uptown is Midtown and East Downtown, which is just across the freeway from downtown houston. Jist like uptown dallas is to downtown dallas.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:31 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,512,590 times
Quote:
I've been to Dallas more times than I can count as I visit several friends who live there throughout the year. It doesn't feel any bigger than Houston or any other big city. Especially when it comes to which one feels like it has a bigger population.

The only thing that makes Dallas feel like it has a massive population is the traffic and I'd say every big city in the U.S. feels that way.

There will be areas of just about every city that will make us feel like that city has a booming population. But as a whole cities like Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and Austin just aren't on that massive in population feel.

Anyone who tries to say Houston or Dallas or Atlanta have a drastically bigger population feel over the other is lying. Nothing about those cities scream massive population over the other.

Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta are pretty much equal when it comes to how big it feels in population. Each has districts that feel big and each have districts that feel less crowded. But neither of the cities feel like LA, Chicago, or Miami when it comes to population.
While I completely agree that neither feel substantially larger than the other, Houston feels larger than Dallas or Atlanta to me. Dallas feels like the bigger metro, and Atlanta has the most urban/gritty feel to it.

In perception (city only):

Houston
Atlanta
Dallas

In Urbanity (city only):

Atlanta
Dallas
Houston

In Actuality (metropolitan region):

Dallas
Houston
Atlanta

I hate most Texas posters, but I give credit where credit is due. 7 million strong? DFW is doing the damn thang and I ain't mad at all.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:39 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
While I completely agree that neither feel substantially larger than the other, Houston feels larger than Dallas or Atlanta to me. Dallas feels like the bigger metro, and Atlanta has the most urban/gritty feel to it.

In perception (city only):

Houston
Atlanta
Dallas

In Urbanity (city only):

Atlanta
Dallas
Houston

In Actuality (metropolitan region):

Dallas
Houston
Atlanta

I hate most Texas posters, but I give credit where credit is due. 7 million strong? DFW is doing the damn thang and I ain't mad at all.
In bold wasn't necessary to add. Ruined the entire post. I also think Houston is pretty gritty. But not as urban especially in the core as Atlanta.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:42 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
In bold wasn't necessary to add. Ruined the entire post. I also think Houston is pretty gritty. But not as urban especially in the core as Atlanta.
Dallas turned urban in the core over night and the hook up with uptown feels like one huge downtown.
Houston is just spread out and Atlanta is way way spread with trees everywhere.I said before I can tell when people haven't been or is not familiar with a city because then you see lies being type when you know the truth.Dallas got every metro in the south beat and that is a forreal fact.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:32 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
I'm so confused by what your saying. Downtown Houston is very much like Downtown Dallas and Uptown Dallas is very much like Midtown Houston.

I'm not sure why your focusing on how they connect. That's irrelevant. What I"m saying is that those districts look very similar to each other.

Also why do you keep using so many smilies? Can we please discuss the topic like adults and leave out all that other crap.

It's hard to discuss this topic with you when you add those things because it makes me feel like I"m talking to a preteen.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
It's hard to discuss this topic with you when you add those things because it makes me feel like I"m talking to a preteen.
You are.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:47 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,512,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It's not my fault. Nothing is ever amicable when Texas and GA is the topic of comparison.

I would love to be friendly with y'all but y'all (generalizing) stay on some other ish. It is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City