Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most gay friendly metro in the deep south? (excluding ATL and NO)
Jacksonville 7 6.31%
Greenville 2 1.80%
Memphis 7 6.31%
Birmingham 7 6.31%
Chattanooga 0 0%
Columbia 5 4.50%
Little Rock 3 2.70%
Baton Rouge 1 0.90%
Charleston 10 9.01%
Huntsville 0 0%
Jackson 3 2.70%
Lafayette 0 0%
Mobile 0 0%
Augusta 4 3.60%
Savannah 37 33.33%
Columbus 2 1.80%
Pensacola 3 2.70%
Shreveport 2 1.80%
Other 18 16.22%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 03:20 PM

596 posts, read 730,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Columbus.... as in, Columbus OHIO? And where's ATLANTA!!!
I'm pretty sure he's referring to Columbus, GA since the question is about the deep south. Also, the OP specifically stated excluding Atlanta and New Orleans because they are already considered gay meccas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 03:25 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
I'm pretty sure he's referring to Columbus, GA since the question is about the deep south. Also, the OP specifically stated excluding Atlanta and New Orleans because they are already considered gay meccas.
Didn't read that. oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooops

Old 06-30-2014, 03:45 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
At this point it's all just "gay tolerance" until any of the Deep South states actually have marriage equality. Then you can talk about "friendliness"...

Old 06-30-2014, 06:34 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
At this point it's all just "gay tolerance" until any of the Deep South states actually have marriage equality. Then you can talk about "friendliness"...
A judge is going to be ruling on that fact in Louisiana shortly. We shall see.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:27 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Oh, please. As a gay man, I can assure you that many GAY AND LESBIAN PEOPLE see the gay marriage movement for the political albatross that it is. You can be completely open, accepted and "friendly" with gay people without embracing the "gay marriage" mantra. At the heart of the matter, "gay marriage" is simply about demanding the same legal perks that straight married people get -- tax breaks, health benefits, shared property. Don't be fooled for a minute that "gay marriage" is about some noble attempt to elevate same-sex couples to the same level of heterosexual couples. Gay men are far more promiscuous and less likely to commit to monogamous relationships that straight men. That's just gay culture. Sad, but true.

Further, I've lived my entire life in the South and have never -- not once -- been discriminated against for being gay. Truth hurts, doesn't it?

Last edited by Newsboy; 06-30-2014 at 09:36 PM..

Old 06-30-2014, 10:56 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,480,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Oh, please. As a gay man, I can assure you that many GAY AND LESBIAN PEOPLE see the gay marriage movement for the political albatross that it is. You can be completely open, accepted and "friendly" with gay people without embracing the "gay marriage" mantra. At the heart of the matter, "gay marriage" is simply about demanding the same legal perks that straight married people get -- tax breaks, health benefits, shared property. Don't be fooled for a minute that "gay marriage" is about some noble attempt to elevate same-sex couples to the same level of heterosexual couples. Gay men are far more promiscuous and less likely to commit to monogamous relationships that straight men. That's just gay culture. Sad, but true.

Further, I've lived my entire life in the South and have never -- not once -- been discriminated against for being gay. Truth hurts, doesn't it?
Is there something wrong with demanding the same legal protections as straight couples?

On an individual level, maybe you're right. I can respect that.

However, once a person starts raising a family, those legal protections have far reaching ramifications. Everything from how much you pay in taxes to whether you have a say in your partner's health care boils down to legal context and the understanding of its importance in one's life. I think minimizing that importance comes at one's peril.

Another dirty little secret: gay parents are far, far more likely to adopt than straight parents.

Gay Adoption Statistics & Facts 2013

Though gay parents are still a small part of the overall population (including the adopting population), their presence and influence on the adoption community is huge. Any increase in parents being open to adoption is a plus, and gay parents are clearly more open to that possibility. For that reason, I personally see establishing the right for gay people to marry and "normalize" their legal status as having intersectionality with the adoption movement as a whole.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:17 PM

596 posts, read 730,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

Just because you're gay, that doesn't give you the right to make sweeping generalizations about the entire gay community. You seem to be under the assumption that just because something doesn't apply to you personally (ie, never experiencing discrimination, not being interested in gay marriage) then it doesn't need to be considered in regards to the gay community in general. You only speak for yourself, not all gay people. And the gay community is more than just gay men. My best friend is a lesbian, and she has been in a committed, monogamous relationship with her partner for 12 years. There are promiscuous people of all orientations, just like there are monogamous people of all orientations. If any individual gay person doesn't want to get married, that's perfectly fine. But that doesn't mean that no gay people should be allowed to marry just because some gay people have no interest in it. That's just ridiculous. There are plenty of straight people who don't want to get married either, but the option to get married is still there for those who choose to do so. And there is nothing wrong with gay couples wanting the same legal protections as straight couples.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:22 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
A judge is going to be ruling on that fact in Louisiana shortly. We shall see.
Don't hold your breath.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:08 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
Just because you're gay, that doesn't give you the right to make sweeping generalizations about the entire gay community. You seem to be under the assumption that just because something doesn't apply to you personally (ie, never experiencing discrimination, not being interested in gay marriage) then it doesn't need to be considered in regards to the gay community in general. You only speak for yourself, not all gay people. And the gay community is more than just gay men. My best friend is a lesbian, and she has been in a committed, monogamous relationship with her partner for 12 years. There are promiscuous people of all orientations, just like there are monogamous people of all orientations. If any individual gay person doesn't want to get married, that's perfectly fine. But that doesn't mean that no gay people should be allowed to marry just because some gay people have no interest in it. That's just ridiculous. There are plenty of straight people who don't want to get married either, but the option to get married is still there for those who choose to do so. And there is nothing wrong with gay couples wanting the same legal protections as straight couples.
I could not have said it better myself. Thank you!

Old 07-01-2014, 09:25 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
This thread is about metros, not states. Things work much differently on the state level than on the local level politically. And let's not act like your state is some kind of pioneer when it comes to this; you all are very new to the game and when it was put up for a vote in CA, the results were the same as they were in Southern states. With that in mind, it would be foolish to say that metros in CA like SF and LA were only "gay tolerant" and not truly gay friendly before gays were allowed to marry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Don't hold your breath.
There's not been a judge to uphold any gay marriage bans (including those in other Southern states); I really don't see why Louisiana would be an exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City