Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most gay friendly metro in the deep south? (excluding ATL and NO)
Jacksonville 7 6.31%
Greenville 2 1.80%
Memphis 7 6.31%
Birmingham 7 6.31%
Chattanooga 0 0%
Columbia 5 4.50%
Little Rock 3 2.70%
Baton Rouge 1 0.90%
Charleston 10 9.01%
Huntsville 0 0%
Jackson 3 2.70%
Lafayette 0 0%
Mobile 0 0%
Augusta 4 3.60%
Savannah 37 33.33%
Columbus 2 1.80%
Pensacola 3 2.70%
Shreveport 2 1.80%
Other 18 16.22%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:34 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Columbus has a fairly large gay/lesbian community.
... and no gay bars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 09:59 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Deep South = Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina. This is one of the reasons why the Tennessee cities confused me.

Houston does not sit on the border of the DEEP South. Houston sits on the border of the general South and it is today greatly more influenced by Southwestern, Northern, Latin American, and Asian cultures than it is Southern.

I know you Houston people like to think your city is everything, but it isn't. And we are trying to have an actual constructive conversation here and you Houstonians blabbering about your city being this and that to distract the thread is annoying. Please spare us.
Houston & all of Southeast Texas (Golden Triangle of Beaumont/Port Aurthur/Orange) is where Cajun Country starts/ends dude.

How else do you explain Houston being the only other city besides New Orleans to have a Brennans & being the home of Cajun favorites like Papadeaux?
Our Story - Brennan's Houston Restaurant and the Courtyard Bar Brennan's of Houston

Where do you think the rice fields of Texas came from? The DEEP SOUTH...http://www.usarice.com/doclib/188/219/3681.PDF

Galveston Island is often times referred to as a "miniature New Orleans". It has the 2nd largest Mardi Gras celebration after you guessed it...New Orleans itself! Everything from the architecture to the people to the overall extremely laid back Gulf Coast vibe. That said, Galveston has a thriving LGBT community in its own right.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:45 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston & all of Southeast Texas (Golden Triangle of Beaumont/Port Aurthur/Orange) is where Cajun Country starts/ends dude.

How else do you explain Houston being the only other city besides New Orleans to have a Brennans & being the home of Cajun favorites like Papadeaux?
Our Story - Brennan's Houston Restaurant and the Courtyard Bar Brennan's of Houston

Where do you think the rice fields of Texas came from? The DEEP SOUTH...http://www.usarice.com/doclib/188/219/3681.PDF

Galveston Island is often times referred to as a "miniature New Orleans". It has the 2nd largest Mardi Gras celebration after you guessed it...New Orleans itself! Everything from the architecture to the people to the overall extremely laid back Gulf Coast vibe. That said, Galveston has a thriving LGBT community in its own right.
I'd draw the line at Beaumont/PA.
Papadeaux's isn't a favorite outside of Texas. It's typical Red Lobster quality food in a chain setting.
Anyone who says that about Galveston is reaching.
Lafayette brings in about 250k per year, Galveston brings about 200k, and Lake Charles brings in around 150k during Carnival. Galveston Mardi Gras is a disgrace to the name, at least when I went.

But that guy who said Houston isn't influenced by the south (whatever that means) must not know much about the place, it's 110% southern.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'd draw the line at Beaumont/PA.
Papadeaux's isn't a favorite outside of Texas. It's typical Red Lobster quality food in a chain setting.
Anyone who says that about Galveston is reaching.
Lafayette brings in about 250k per year, Galveston brings about 200k, and Lake Charles brings in around 150k during Carnival. Galveston Mardi Gras is a disgrace to the name, at least when I went.

But that guy who said Houston isn't influenced by the south (whatever that means) must not know much about the place, it's 110% southern.
Houston has become a lot more Southern & Cajun ever since Hurricane Katrina. Those businesses they once had in New Orleans that flooded they opened up in Houston & never looked back.

It was a double edge sword for Houston. We got all of the modern day crime & gangs that came with NOLA, but also its deep rooted culture too.

I can't even count the number of places to eat Crawfish in Houston anymore. There are literally hundreds if not thousands.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:19 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:

You think a few New Orleans refugees make Houston Southern?

Sorry, but no. Houston is 45% Hispanic and 10% Asian. Of the one-third of the white people that are in the metro area a large chunk are transplants from the North. What does that leave? MAYBE 35-40% of the metros population that is derived from southern white and southern black populations.

Houston is not Southern. And it becomes less southern with each passing year.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
You think a few New Orleans refugees make Houston Southern?

Sorry, but no. Houston is 45% Hispanic and 10% Asian. Of the one-third of the white people that are in the metro area a large chunk are transplants from the North. What does that leave? MAYBE 35-40% of the metros population that is derived from southern white and southern black populations.

Houston is not Southern. And it becomes less southern with each passing year.
250,000 came

111,000 remain

That's still a good size community of Cajuns in Houston.

NPR: Tracking the Katrina Diaspora: A Tricky Task

Old 05-27-2014, 11:48 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:
250,000 came

111,000 remain

111,000 is a drop in the bucket compared to the six million people in the Houston metro. I'm sure that many other cities in America have similar sized populations of Cajuns. I know at least one here in Atlanta.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:00 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Tonight I met a nice gay couple from Houston who were vacationing in Savannah.

I've never known anybody from Savannah to vacation in Houston, or even Galveston.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:06 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Houston has become a lot more Southern & Cajun ever since Hurricane Katrina. Those businesses they once had in New Orleans that flooded they opened up in Houston & never looked back.

It was a double edge sword for Houston. We got all of the modern day crime & gangs that came with NOLA, but also its deep rooted culture too.

I can't even count the number of places to eat Crawfish in Houston anymore. There are literally hundreds if not thousands.
That makes no sense. New Orleans is not Cajun and Houston crime rate was rising before Katrina. Houston has always had gangs in the Latin Kings, Crips, GD's, and w/e else.
I couldn't count any place to eat crawfish in Houston. The places I remember seeing were in Port Arthur.
Quote:
250,000 came

111,000 remain

Again, those people aren't Cajuns what so ever, at all. Those 110,000 are mostly blacks. Not Creole, nor Cajun.
Quote:
111,000 is a drop in the bucket compared to the six million people in the Houston metro. I'm sure that many other cities in America have similar sized populations of Cajuns. I know at least one here in Atlanta.
No there aren't. Cajuns are found along the gulf coast, centered around Lafayette, South and Southwestern Louisiana. You may know one or someone who claims his uncle is a bonefied Cajun but you never see populations in the tens of thousands, let alone 100k, in other cities, you may have a few hundred at most.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:30 AM

813 posts, read 2,031,382 times
Quote:
I was definitely at Trax. Very close to downtown. I thought I saw at least 4 gay bars clustered right there. Maybe my eyes deceived me because Trax was so big.
Trax is a small dive bar near the railroad tracks. It's near downtown, but the only thing big about it are some of the bears. If you were in a large dance club with a show bar, then you were likely at Play on Church Street. There are four other gay bars & clubs around it and OutCentral. It's in Midtown so just across the highway from downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I remember when the Chute was pretty much the only thing going in Nashville. That was a long time ago.
My few memories of the Chute are in a drunken haze. Of course, that means I totally miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City