Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most gay friendly metro in the deep south? (excluding ATL and NO)
Jacksonville 7 6.31%
Greenville 2 1.80%
Memphis 7 6.31%
Birmingham 7 6.31%
Chattanooga 0 0%
Columbia 5 4.50%
Little Rock 3 2.70%
Baton Rouge 1 0.90%
Charleston 10 9.01%
Huntsville 0 0%
Jackson 3 2.70%
Lafayette 0 0%
Mobile 0 0%
Augusta 4 3.60%
Savannah 37 33.33%
Columbus 2 1.80%
Pensacola 3 2.70%
Shreveport 2 1.80%
Other 18 16.22%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 02:03 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Nashville is not in the deep south, and doesn't display any of the characteristics of deep south cities. Even the accents are different. Memphis and Chattanooga are also not in the deep south, but a case could be made for them being gateway cities, especially Memphis. Jacksonville is definitely in the deep south.
Nashville and Atlanta are very culturally similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 10:28 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Jacksonville is the largest metro on this list, and as such, it definitely has numerous gay enclaves. Off the top of my head, I can think of a dozen gay bars and clubs. Actual number is probably around 20. By this absolute measure it could be the most gay-friendly on the list. Of course, my perspective comes as someone deeply entrenched in the arts so my world is inherently very gay lol. But percentage-wise, Jax isn't close to the top. In fact, Jax is very backwards for rejecting the Human Rights Ordinance a few years ago which would have given homosexuals equal protection under the law. Hopefully it is rectified this year.

Savannah shoots to the top in gay-friendly "percentage." Probably an equally large gay community in a metro less than half the size.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:44 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
New Orleans, absolutely. Chapel Hill, you have to be joking. There is not a single gay bar or nightclub in Chapel Hill. There is ONE in Durham! Raleigh is a bit better. Durham is a good city for lesbians, but for gay life, the Research Triangle is terrible! Charlotte is marginally better, but Nashville, Memphis, Tampa, Orlando, Birmingham, Louisville, Richmond are all cities with much more gay life in the South. Miami, Atlanta and New Orleans are the Southern gay Meccas! There are more gay bars in Galveston, TX,which is kinda Southern, than in Savannah, Asheville and Charleston combined.
I disagree having lived there for many years. Your mention of lack of gay bars is somewhat one dimensional given the integrated bar vibe in the area as well as an inclination toward parties/potlucks by many as well. If one can get past the traditional gay pastime of bar-hopping, Chapel Hill and Durham are quite desirable places to live as a LGBT individual.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:20 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Houston now allows gay men to use the women's restroom. This is both nauseating & a violation of privacy to the fullest. If I were a woman I would slap the first man (gay or not) that entered.

Thanks Mayor. You've just sent an open invitation for pedophiles to spy on or molest someones daughter.

Last edited by JMT; 05-29-2014 at 09:15 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 04:28 PM

250 posts, read 358,895 times
Actually, the ordinance allowing transgender individuals to use restrooms has absolutely nothing to do with gayness.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellaGoose View Post
Actually, the ordinance allowing transgender individuals to use restrooms has absolutely nothing to do with gayness.
So now its only called the LGBT community as you see fit?

Old 05-29-2014, 04:39 PM

huh...? gay and transgender are different by just about everyones definition lol, don't even know how that's arguable.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:44 PM

813 posts, read 2,031,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston now allows gay men to use the women's restroom. This is both nauseating & a violation of privacy to the fullest. If I were a woman I would slap the first man (gay or not) that entered.

Thanks Mayor Anal Porker.
Do you mean transgender women? Unless they're having a kiki in the women's bathroom of a gay bar, most gay men I know are cisgender and prefer to use the men's room. A trans woman would obviously feel safer in the ladies room and I'm sure most straight men would likewise feel more comfortable with them there as well. That said, I could understand how this might bring a bit of pause to some heterosexual women especially those poorly informed on gender identity issues. It sounds like a pretty socially progressive step for the city of Houston to take on a tricky issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
So now its only called the LGBT community as you see fit?
Matt, one is the "G" in the acronym while the other is the "T." They are clearly overlapping communities with overlapping resource networks. However, gender identity is a completely different issue from sexual orientation. Most gay men and lesbians are cisgender which means their perception of their gender matches their physically assigned sex. I understand that it's tough for some anti-gay folks to get it through their heads, but while some gay men may appear effeminate to you, that does not mean the same men feel they should have been born women. Often times, some gay men and lesbians simply feel no need to stay within the rigid, idealized "masculine" and "feminine" boxes that straight people do.

Last edited by JMT; 05-29-2014 at 09:15 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
Do you mean transgender women? Unless they're having a kiki in the women's bathroom of a gay bar, most gay men I know are cisgender and prefer to use the men's room. A trans woman would obviously feel safer in the ladies room and I'm sure most straight men would likewise feel more comfortable with them there as well. That said, I could understand how this might bring a bit of pause to some heterosexual women especially those poorly informed on gender identity issues. It sounds like a pretty socially progressive step for the city of Houston to take on a tricky issue.

Matt, one is the "G" in the acronym while the other is the "T." They are clearly overlapping communities with overlapping resource networks. However, gender identity is a completely different issue from sexual orientation. Most gay men and lesbians are cisgender which means their perception of their gender matches their physically assigned sex. I understand that it's tough for some anti-gay folks to get it through their heads, but while some gay men may appear effeminate to you, that does not mean the same men feel they should have been born women. Often times, some gay men and lesbians simply feel no need to stay within the rigid, idealized "masculine" and "feminine" boxes that straight people do.
Its not socially progressive, its socially unacceptable by all levels. This is something that might fly at a gay night club with Dick & Dave as it did all the time even before this law, but not at a Luby's Cafeteria with Mom & 8 year old daughter who doesn't even know what a transgender he/she/it is.

Its sickening & downright primitive. Even my dog knows better.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:49 PM

Eh dogs are pretty loving and accepting, so idk about that.

But anyway, you have your opinion on the ordinance, and that's your right of course...but that does not change that gay and transgender are not the same thing. You can be transgender and straight, transgender and gay etc. I can understand that perhaps you have not been exposed to that reality before, but now you have been Nothing to debate there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City