Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Northeastern Megalopolis Cities
Boston 12 21.43%
New York 22 39.29%
Philadelphia 14 25.00%
Washington 8 14.29%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 04:30 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Wealth in Philly doesn't compare to DC. City proper or regionally. Philly has no answer for Fairfax and Loudoun Counties from a per capita income standpoint. As for festivals, DC is the nation's capital so there is something going on every week. Stop believing DC is all museums and monuments. The city hosts major events as well as local festivals throughout the spring, summer and fall. For example, thousands flock to the Cherry Blossom festival in April. 100 thousand AKA's descended on the city for their anniversary. The Annual Black family reunion brings in thousands of visitors. This is only a few events. Every weekend, DC hosts an event of some sort.
+2 Don't forget Adams Morgan Day Parade, H Street NE Festival, DC Carnival (up in Baltimore now unfortunately), Memorial Day Parade, Fourth of July, Easter Monday, Zoolights, Open Embassy Week, DC Film Festival, Chinese New Year Parade, Taste of DC, Restaurant Week, National Mall BBQ Showdown, etc., etc., etc. DC plays host to a diverse plethora of national and local events, be it dealing with culture, politics, books, food, film, military, music, etc. Not bad for a so-called "yuppieville" of a city huh...Hate that I can't use the forum's emojis on my iPhone because I have a certain one that I would love to use right now....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
At best that equates to maybe a draw with DC area. I'm not picking an argument about it here. Philly's metro definitely has enough to do, but if you ask me I would lean DC area as a whole.
True. The DC area within its reach has access to the West Virginia panhandle, Baltimore, two state capitals (Annapolis and Richmond), Virginia Wine Country (one of the best, if not the best, on the East Coast), Maryland's Eastern Shore, Virginia's Eastern Shore, the Hampton Roads region, at least an hour or so flight to New York, Frederick (the premier hub city of beautiful Western Maryland, Shenandoah Valley, etc.

It's pretty much a wash between the two metro areas (DC and Philly) IMO.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:28 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
True. The DC area within its reach has access to the West Virginia panhandle, Baltimore, two state capitals (Annapolis and Richmond), Virginia Wine Country (one of the best, if not the best, on the East Coast), Maryland's Eastern Shore, Virginia's Eastern Shore, the Hampton Roads region, at least an hour or so flight to New York, Frederick (the premier hub city of beautiful Western Maryland, Shenandoah Valley, etc.

It's pretty much a wash between the two metro areas (DC and Philly) IMO.
I agree with this. Overall, the variety of things to do on the East Coast/Northeast Corridor in general (especially in relatively proximity) is essentially unparalleled in the rest of the US.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:33 PM

474 posts, read 530,597 times
Boston
New York
Philadelphia
Washington

I put Boston ahead of NY because, being from SF, I really enjoy the street scenes (lots of pedestrian traffic but not quite Times Square) and historic architecture. It also seems the most familiar of the group and I appreciate Boston's distinct personality and attitude- parts of the Back Bay remind me of San Francisco's boutique streets, except with brownstones instead of Victorians. Also I love Boston's layout because, although the streets look like hell to drive on, they're a new experience to me and remind me a lot of European cities as they're often described in appearance and function. I haven't been to Philadelphia, admittedly, but I can't imagine it to be too different. New York is great for the urban experience, but I didn't find much of it interesting and/ the street level as grand as it's often depicted on these forums and elsewhere. Washington is only my least favorite because of the lack of high rises and culinary/shopping establishments, but I've read that things are changing fast. NOVA suburbs are some of my favorite in the US.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:19 PM

271 posts, read 369,444 times
New York - Greatest city on Earth!
Boston - One of the best cities for urban middle-class families
Washington (DC) - It is the capital
Philadelphia - Why is this city even on the list?

Old 06-01-2014, 02:30 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesforme View Post
Why not?

Old 06-01-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I agree with this. Overall, the variety of things to do on the East Coast/Northeast Corridor in general (especially in relatively proximity) is essentially unparalleled in the rest of the US.
Agreed. Not many of the other mega-regions in this country are blessed with this many offerings within close proximity of each other.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:24 AM

271 posts, read 369,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Why not?
I understand that OP wants to compare cities in Northeastern Meglapolis. This is the largest (population) metropolitan (statistical) areas in North Eastern Meglapolis:

1. New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area
2. Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD Metropolitan Statistical Area
3. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area
4. Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH Metropolitan Statistical Area
5. Baltimore-Columbia-Towson, MD Metropolitan Statistical Area

So Philadelphia should of course be included because of population and other reasons. I read his entry post to fast and I didn’t understand he was only comparing North-Eastern metropolitan (of any kind) areas. My mistake.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:13 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesforme View Post
How old are you? I would say either 13 or 73.

Either way you are very out of touch...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City