Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: State defined more by transplants
Florida 65 80.25%
California 16 19.75%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 01:43 PM

233 posts, read 532,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Typical Florida people--not too swift and have difficulty comprehending concepts that aren't very difficult to grasp at all.

Gnutella was insinuating that Nevada--a highly transient state with an economy largely dependent on tourism and construction--is very much like Florida, and it is. If you *move Disneyland from California to Nevada*--since Nevada has no theme parks--and *add water*--meaning give it some beaches (again, figurative)--you'll have Florida. Jeez, it doesn't rocket scientist to figure out what he was saying, OMG.

However, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that three posters from Florida had difficulty trying to figure that out, as I found comprehension ability along with general common sense to be severely lacking among people in Florida, primarily due to the little to no education of most residents. FWIW, I've never known so many high school dropouts in any of the states in which I've lived as I did while living in Florida, my uncle and one of my long-time neighbors included. The poor customer service in Florida is just one of the many results of this issue.

Also, most people Florida don't really have any working knowledge of California, as most have never been. Lots of people in East often compare California and Florida and make it seem as though the two states are very similar due to warm weather, beaches, palm trees, etc. when they couldn't more different. In my experience, most white people in Florida only have a working knowledge of New York and maybe New Jersey, and most black people only have a working knowledge of Georgia. The reason for this is that Florida is much more working-class than California as well as being pretty disconnected geographically from most other states, including its neighbors, so people in Florida tend to travel to different states less frequently because it's more expensive and arduous than in other states. FWIW, lots of working-class people who were born and raised in Florida, esp. South Florida, have never even left the state. OTOH, Californians are much more well-traveled in the US--and aborad, for that matter--overall than people in Florida because they tend to be better educated, higher income, and more open-minded to new places/cultures/experiences. People in the East really only seem interested in traveling to Disney World and either Italy or Israel.
Apparently it went over your head that Gnutella was making an underhanded dig by oversimplifying Florida based on two economic sectors. I guess you would have Los Angeles if the Pacific Ocean and Hollywood appeared in Phoenix since they both are dry, mountainous, large import centers with very large unfortunately uneducated Mexican populations and low concentrations of F500 companies given their size. Also the rest of your generalizations are ridiculous. How is Florida more isolated from the rest of the country than California…there's hardly anything west of Vegas and Phoenix until you reach Dallas? Also almost a fourth of Florida's population comes from the Northeast, Miami-NY is the busiest air route in the country, and another 40 percent come from elsewhere and moved to Florida so I'm sure most residents have more than a working knowledge of places outside of Florida. Most natives I know in CA haven't been anywhere on the East Coast except New York. Air flights to other states are generally much cheaper in FL than most places. I've been to NY multiple time and will be going there for business in three days. Yes, there's a larger amount of educated people in New York, but the vast majority aren't as erudite as you seem to think, trust me I've worked in the service sectors as a kid in Fl and dealt with many idiotic New Yorkers, not including the ones who are moving here in droves. Apparently you really shouldn't be speaking to other posters' intellects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 04:08 PM

12 posts, read 23,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
Definitely Florida.

Believe it or not most residents of California were actually born in California.
Most residents of Florida where born in Florida. 19.3% of Florida residents are foreign born, yet 27.1% of California residents are foreign born. THis shows me you guys do not know what you are talking about.

California QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Florida QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Definition of "Foreign-Born Persons": Foreign born persons

Old 06-10-2014, 04:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,729,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy1 View Post
Most residents of Florida where born in Florida. 19.3% of Florida residents are foreign born, yet 27.1% of California residents are foreign born. THis shows me you guys do not know what you are talking about.

California QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Florida QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Definition of "Foreign-Born Persons": Foreign born persons
The bolded is incorrect, and more California residents were born in-state. See my previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
California:

54% born in California
18% born in another state
27% born in a foreign country

Florida:

35% born in Florida
43% born in another state
19% born in a foreign country

/thread

Old 06-10-2014, 04:19 PM

32,195 posts, read 34,947,542 times
Quote:
California:

54% born in California
18% born in another state
27% born in a foreign country

Florida:

35% born in Florida
43% born in another state
19% born in a foreign country

/thread
Only 29% of non-Hispanic Whites in the Miami metro were born in Florida. That has to be the lowest rate of any metro in the U.S. DC is close; only 31% of non-Hispanic Whites in the metro area were born in their state of residence.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:22 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,924,150 times
Florida without a doubt, just think about all the retirees. A lot of people move out to California, but a lot seem to move back within a few years. My uncle moved to Florida about 10 years ago to retire, he attempted to move back here at one time, but said he couldn't do it because of the cold weather. My grandma is thinking about retiring to Florida as well. California is just too darn expensive for most Americans to move to.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,729,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Only 29% of non-Hispanic Whites in the Miami metro were born in Florida. That has to be the lowest rate of any metro in the U.S.
And of Hispanics? It'd be interesting if the hispanics are more "native" than the non-hispanics. The DC metro statistic probably exagerrates the transplant-ness since the metro contains several states; someone living in a Maryland suburb born in DC would count as not born in the same state, but it's the same region.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:48 PM

32,195 posts, read 34,947,542 times
Quote:
And of Hispanics? It'd be interesting if the hispanics are more "native" than the non-hispanics.
26% of Hispanics in the Miami metro were born in Florida.

Quote:
The DC metro statistic probably exagerrates the transplant-ness since the metro contains several states; someone living in a Maryland suburb born in DC would count as not born in the same state, but it's the same region.
I doubt it impacts the rate that much. The DC area also has the most in-migration and the most out-migration of almost any American metro. Of the millions of people growing up in the DC suburbs, only so many were born at Sibley, Howard, GW or the WHC as opposed to Inova Fairfax, Shady Grove, Holy Cross, Inova Alexandria, Virginia Hospital Center, etc.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:26 PM

12 posts, read 23,126 times
Quote:
The bolded is incorrect, and more California residents were born in-state. See my previous post:
Oh I misunderstood your comment, but it doesnt matter. How is that a good measure when it does not take into account age. If I was born in NYC, but moved to FLorida when I was three. I would be considered a transplant, but I wouldn’t consider myself a transplant.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:27 PM

14,256 posts, read 27,040,392 times
Why do people keep moving to Florida despite the negative press? Does Floridas negative say more about the natives, or the "trash" who keep making their way down South?

Old 06-10-2014, 07:43 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,669,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
A lot of people move out to California, but a lot seem to move back within a few years.
As someone who has lived in both California and Florida, this hasn't been my experience at all--quite the contrary, actually. Most people who move to California end up staying whereas most people who move to Florida eventually end up moving back to where they came from or to another state all together, up to and including California.

Also, something to add--in California, you meet lots and lots of Florida natives and people who lived in Florida at some point in their lives prior to moving to California, but in Florida, you almost never meet a native Californian or someone who used to live in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City