Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: State defined more by transplants
Florida 65 80.25%
California 16 19.75%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 02:05 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,596,920 times

Advertisements

Both states/areas grew pretty quickly in the 20th century, with both initially gaining large numbers of people from the rest of the country, and then eventually growing because of international migration and migration from US territories (such as Guam and Puerto Rico). Which state is more defined by the transplants (both foreign and domestic) that move there? In the converse, which one has a stronger "local" culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 04:08 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,977,124 times
I feel like CA has stronger local culture. Even the areas of Florida that still retain Southern culture, feel like the Southern culture is imported from Blacks who migrated South from Georgia back in the 40s and 50s. There is no "Florida style BBQ/Soul Food" but there are plenty of GA, Louisiana, Texas, style food joints in Florida. The most "local" or "native" style of food in Florida is Floribbean Food which is a combination of Southern food styles, and Caribbean food styles.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:30 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,596,920 times
Interesting to note that Florida today has the same population as California did in 1970. Florida today is only 35% local born, while CA back then was 42% local born. Wonder how this will affect the long term trajectory of FL.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:04 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,977,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Interesting to note that Florida today has the same population as California did in 1970. Florida today is only 35% local born, while CA back then was 42% local born. Wonder how this will affect the long term trajectory of FL.
I'm guessing most of the non-local born in both states are also immigrants born elsewhere completely.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:06 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,779,234 times
California has more substance than Florida, culturally and economically. In those regards, just move Disneyland to Nevada and add water, and you'll end up with Florida.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:27 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,114,456 times
I don't really understand what you mean by "defined more by transplants". And I don't see why "local culture" & "transplant culture" are mutually exclusive. For instance, I think California has a stronger "local culture" than Florida and is also "defined more by its transplants" (Mexican / latin & Asian culture, mid westerners, north easterners, southerners etc) than Florida.

I voted Florida in the poll but I basically just voted that way based on Florida's more transient nature - which really has nothing to do with the poll question. And I voted that way because of how you contrasted "transplant culture" & "local culture" in the OP. You framed it as one state will have more of a "transplant culture" and the other state will have more of "local culture" - and since California obviously has more of "local culture" than Florida, then ipso facto Florida must be the answer to the poll. But like I said, I don't see why those two things are mutually exclusive.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:05 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,904,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
California has more substance than Florida, culturally and economically. In those regards, just move Disneyland to Nevada and add water, and you'll end up with Florida.
I think you mean California! Nevada has demographics more similar to California, then it does to Florida. Disneyland is in California, and Disneyworld is in Florida. Yeah, just add some water and it'll have some of the most beautiful beaches in America. I also feel that California is less defined by transplants, but that's just beyond ignorant!

Old 05-31-2014, 11:17 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,346,326 times
Quote:
I don't even understand your last sentence about moving Florida's water and renowned tourist attractions to another state.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:21 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,346,326 times
Florida is I think. Probably this way because of all the retirees that move to the state. They hold into their old ways more stubbornly.

I grew up in Florida and there is definitely a local culture brewing between the children of transplants or immigrants. I'm thinking of boating, seafood, big night clubs, a much more liberal outlook on life. Sexy beach bodies.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:17 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,284,813 times
Quote:
Personally I prefer California. That being said:

1. Disneyland isn't even close to being the same scale as Disney World. Plus let's not leave out Universal (yes, I know LA has one) and Sea World being within 10 miles of each other.
2. This will always be a debate, but it terms of relaxation, Florida has the better beaches. The sand is whiter and nicer and the water itself is much warmer and enjoyable. Surfing definitely goes to California, but I feel this is more of a niche activity.

I don't understand the blind Florida hate on this forum sometimes. The state simply isn't that bad. It's not my favorite state either, but I think there are too many exaggerated stories that people spread about Florida that adds to the state's bad reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City