Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: best city to call home
Austin 18 18.56%
Portland 31 31.96%
Boulder 15 15.46%
Pittsburgh 33 34.02%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 07:56 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devout Urbanist View Post
Pittsburgh has the highest homicide rate out of all these cities by far. It is definitely not safer than Austin. I'm not sure what you two are basing this on.
Young African-American males killing other young African-American males on a nearly daily basis in just a few tiny isolated pockets of the city does not make Pittsburgh an "unsafe" city. I live across a four-lane roadway from a ghetto, and we've never had any sort of crime issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 08:52 AM

416 posts, read 581,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Young African-American males killing other young African-American males on a nearly daily basis in just a few tiny isolated pockets of the city does not make Pittsburgh an "unsafe" city. I live across a four-lane roadway from a ghetto, and we've never had any sort of crime issues.
I see you've resorted to race-baiting. Typical. The race of the victims or perpetrators is irrelevant. They are still residents of your city and I don't see why their safety or exposure to violence should matter less than anyone else's. You are essentially saying that it does. Homewood is still part of Pittsburgh whether you like it or not, and there isn't any place like Homewood in Austin. Moreover, all of the victims and offenders are not black and male, and homicides are not a daily occurrence among this population even in the worst Pittsburgh neighborhoods. I'm not sure why you feel the need to exaggerate about the "young African-American males" in your city like this. Lastly, homicide rate is just one part of the overall crime rate.

Last edited by Devout Urbanist; 06-01-2014 at 09:30 AM..

Old 06-01-2014, 01:07 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
I see you've resorted to race-baiting. Typical. The race of the victims or perpetrators is irrelevant. They are still residents of your city and I don't see why their safety or exposure to violence should matter less than anyone else's. You are essentially saying that it does. Homewood is still part of Pittsburgh whether you like it or not, and there isn't any place like Homewood in Austin. Moreover, all of the victims and offenders are not black and male, and homicides are not a daily occurrence among this population even in the worst Pittsburgh neighborhoods. I'm not sure why you feel the need to exaggerate about the "young African-American males" in your city like this. Lastly, homicide rate is just one part of the overall crime rate.
Too bad he's spot on and that 85% of homicide victims in Pittsburgh are African American. Portland, Austin, and Boulder do not have the "traditional or stereotypical" ghettos like other older Northeastern and Midwestern cities. Stop drinking the Kool-Aid and realize there is a major problem of violence and shootings in African American neighborhoods that you rarely see similarly in white neighborhoods in American cities. The sooner some realize this hopefully without calling someone racist maybe solutions can me made to stop this epidemic in a few neighborhoods.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Too bad he's spot on and that 85% of homicide victims in Pittsburgh are African American. Stop drinking the Kool-Aid and realize there is a major problem of violence and shootings in African American neighborhoods that you rarely see similarly in white neighborhoods in American cities.
Too bad your stats aren't right and you don't know the difference between 85% and 100% or that all of these crimes do not take place in "African-American neighborhoods" or that plenty of "African-American neighborhoods" do not suffer from "a major problem of violence" or that all "young African-American males" are not criminals, which is precisely what your rhetoric implies. Thanks for contributing absolutely nothing to the original subject matter of this thread and letting us know that you, like many of the other contributors to the Pittsburgh forum, have a desire to conflate blackness with criminality.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Too bad your stats aren't right and you don't know the difference between 85% and 100% or that all of these crimes do not take place in "African-American neighborhoods" or that plenty of "African-American neighborhoods" do not suffer from "a major problem of violence" or that all "young African-American males" are not criminals, which is precisely what your rhetoric implies. Thanks for contributing absolutely nothing to the original subject matter of this thread and letting us know that you, lik3 many of the other contributors to the Pittsburgh forum, have a desire to conflate blackness with criminality.
Pretty sure I never said all black people or black neighborhoods are like that pal but go ahead and keep thinking whatever you want and I already gave my opinion on all of the criteria on the first page so don't tell me what I did and did not. How typical assuming I said all black people are like that, but go ahead keep think there is no violence problem in some black neighborhoods and keep letting the cycle of violence and poverty continue.. Homicides - Allegheny County, Pa. Just to show that many of the murders here are indeed in the same places.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:26 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
I don't see how Pittsburgh compares to the other three cities which are exceptionally trendy.

Don't get me wrong, I love the burgh and have great friends and family there. It's the best out of the four cities mentioned. It's an absolutely beautiful city that seems to now be going through a resurgence of coolness. But I'd compare it to other older cities getting rebuilt/remade as opposed to western cities getting discovered and built up.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure I never said all black people or black neighborhoods are like that pal but go ahead and keep thinking whatever you want and I already gave my opinion on all of the criteria on the first page so don't tell me what I did and did not. Typical far lefter assuming I said all black people are like that, but go ahead keep think there is no violence problem in some black neighborhoods and keep letting the cycle of violence and poverty continue there so they will keep voting for liberals.
Oh, now you claim only "some black neighborhoods" have "a violence problem" whereas before it was just "African-American neighborhoods." You are backtracking from your sloppy, overblown rhetoric. I never said there wasn't a violence problem in some places and you'd know that if you had actually read what I wrote, buddy. You clearly have no idea what I think because you can't even take the time to read my posts, which aren't all that long. Your focus on the race of victims and perpetrators is bizarre. What exactly are you trying to establish? Why don't you care about crimes committed by members of other ethnic groups? And, by the way, Portland, Boulder, and Austin are all "liberal" cities like Pittsburgh, but I guess liberalism is just bad for black people, huh? Thank you for sharing your backward views. You may now go back to watching The O'Reilly Factor.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Oh, now you claim only "some black neighborhoods" have "a violence problem" whereas before it was just "African-American neighborhoods." You are backtracking from your sloppy, overblown rhetoric. I never said there wasn't a violence problem in some places and you'd know that if you had actually read what I wrote, buddy. You clearly have no idea what I think because you can't even take the time to read what I wrote. And, by the way, Portland, Boulder, and Austin are all "liberal" cities like Pittsburgh, but I guess liberalism is just bad for black people, huh? Thank you for sharing your backward views. You may now go back to watching The O'Reilly Factor.
So I must be a tea party Republican who watches Fox News because I said typical left wing response? Wrong as usual. Portland, Boulder, and Austin do not have inner city areas like Pittsburgh does which helps with them having lower crime rates than Pittsburgh. Just because I never said some before in my first post didn't mean I meant all were like that. Can you not be so dense?

Old 06-01-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
So I must be a tea party Republican who watches Fox News because I said typical left wing response? Wrong as usual. Portland, Boulder, and Austin do not have inner city areas like Pittsburgh does which helps with them having lower crime rates than Pittsburgh. Just because I never said some before in my first post didn't mean I meant all were like that. Can you not be so dense?
You offered a typical right wing response. Don't dish it if you can't take it, pal. Clearly, you have never stopped to wonder why "Portland, Boulder, and Austin do not have inner city areas like Pittsburgh." You just blame it all on "voting for liberals." It's hard to imagine a more intellectually vacuous response to a serious social problem. But what can one really expect from someone who doesn't understand the basic difference between saying something like "there is a major problem of violence and shootings in African American neighborhoods" and "there is a major violence problem in some black neighborhoods?" The obvious implication of the former is that African-American neighborhoods are universally bad. I guess when you have such an affinity for stereotypes it's easy to overlook something so simple.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:56 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Well, this WAS a good thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City