Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 05:28 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, no other cities can compare with New York, London and Paris and Tokyo. :-)
This.

It's not even that they're romanticized. They are just legitimately that great, especially for someone that enjoys culture more than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 09:43 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Well, as a Southerner, it's kind of funny to me to see how we're depicted. If television was even remotely accurate, we'd all be sitting out on our front porches, whittling as a way to bide time before our next Bible study, football game, or Klan meeting.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:03 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,111,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, as a Southerner, it's kind of funny to me to see how we're depicted. If television was even remotely accurate, we'd all be sitting out on our front porches, whittling as a way to bide time before our next Bible study, football game, or Klan meeting.
For what it's worth, I'm a New Englander and I'd be quite content sitting on my front porch whittling.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:39 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
For what it's worth, I'm a New Englander and I'd be quite content sitting on my front porch whittling.
True. But you get my drift.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:48 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Everyone gets a taste of this - check out Fargo for ridiculous accents and hilarious Upper Midwestern stereotypes.

Not other cities in the country do compare to NYC - it's huge. It's the US metro. It's one of the world's great cities, and only has real competition when compared internationally. It doesn't mean you or I or anyone has to prefer it to anywhere else - the vast majority of the US population does not live there, obviously, and everyone is free to move wherever they want. But in terms of overall amenities and so on, Houston, LA, Chicago, and anywhere else in the US is going to pale overall when compared to it.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:33 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Everyone gets a taste of this - check out Fargo for ridiculous accents and hilarious Upper Midwestern stereotypes.

Not other cities in the country do compare to NYC - it's huge. It's the US metro. It's one of the world's great cities, and only has real competition when compared internationally. It doesn't mean you or I or anyone has to prefer it to anywhere else - the vast majority of the US population does not live there, obviously, and everyone is free to move wherever they want. But in terms of overall amenities and so on, Houston, LA, Chicago, and anywhere else in the US is going to pale overall when compared to it.
You have to figure in that if you live in NYC you aren't taking advantage of that great "culture" on a regular basis. Most people don't have the money to be eating out every single night, have the time to go to museums, get plastered at bars, etc.

I've lived and worked there, and NYC has another side to it that isn't romanticized on these forums. It's positively filthy and the people are a miserable breed with too many from NJ and Long Island. In addition, it's got a sickening corporate work culture compared to California, and the public transit system is straight up annoying (crap frequencies on the weekends and an overall dirty experience.) Oh, and once you live out that NYC summer dream (if you want to call it that) you have to deal with s*** weather for about 5 months.

So yes -- IMHO, the NYC experience is overly romanticized on these forums.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:27 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,802 times
Well, lots of people (including myself) like 4 seasons and prefer that kind of weather to endless blistering southern heat. I do agree that it's a dirty city, the first time I went there a couple decades ago I couldn't believe how badly it smelled in the middle of summer. San Fran is the same way (the underreported smell/filth), but is still a top 5 US city. But to bring this back around to my actual point, no other US city comes close to offering the amount of amenities as NYC - it's just the way it is. Sheer numbers. And people do in fact take advantage of what the city has to offer, at least people I know take advantage of it. If you don't, you may as well live anywhere in the country, preferably somewhere cheaper. But that isn't remotely germane to this conversation.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:35 PM

118 posts, read 160,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
You have to figure in that if you live in NYC you aren't taking advantage of that great "culture" on a regular basis. Most people don't have the money to be eating out every single night, have the time to go to museums, get plastered at bars, etc.

I've lived and worked there, and NYC has another side to it that isn't romanticized on these forums. It's positively filthy and the people are a miserable breed with too many from NJ and Long Island. In addition, it's got a sickening corporate work culture compared to California, and the public transit system is straight up annoying (crap frequencies on the weekends and an overall dirty experience.) Oh, and once you live out that NYC summer dream (if you want to call it that) you have to deal with s*** weather for about 5 months.

So yes -- IMHO, the NYC experience is overly romanticized on these forums.
You don't get it.

When people romanticize about living in New York, they're not romanticizing about being some working-class person living in a poor/fringe neighborhood. They dream of living like a Johnson & Johnson heir, Sarah Jessica Parker or some other wealthy celebrity or socialiate. Shopping on Madison Avenue, going to glam parties like the Met Ball, theatre, brunching at some 5 star restaurant every day and the like, living in some penthouse soaring the Manhattan skyline or one of those cutsey and expensive luxury townhouses. Just as the non wealthy side of Paris is rather scary, but when people dream of Paris, they dream of a glamorous life in central Paris, sitting in a chic cafe in the 7th Arrondissement with a baguette with the Eiffel Tower soaring behind them, popping into shops on Avenue Montaigne like they're in some Audrey Hepburn fantasy. No one dreams of going to Paris to live in some horrendous outer ring and commuting in every day. But some people will move there and put up with it because they have dreams they will "make it" and become the "top of the heap"! Cities like those are big draws for dreamers and the rich.

Since you seem to love Los Angeles, you know that the majority of the city is a fetid, and dumpy working class haven filled to the brim with illegals, miserable people and homeless, but when people dream of LA they dream of living in Beverly Hills or Malibu and being rich..not being working-class in the LA basin.

Last edited by Louis XVI; 06-06-2014 at 01:18 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 12:41 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis XVI View Post
You don't get it.

When people romanticize about living in New York, they're not romanticizing about being some working-class person living in a poor/fringe neighborhood. They dream of living like a Johnson & Johnson heir, Sarah Jessica Parker or some other wealthy celebrity. Shopping all day, going to glam parties, brunching every day, going to fancy restaurants and the like.

Los Angeles is mostly a dump with bad jobs, but when people dream of LA they dream of living in Beverly Hills and being rich..not being working-class in the LA basin.

Do you get it?
I don't think you get it. That so-called NYC dream you mentioned is beyond pathetic by most standards. Brunching all day? I'd rather chew broken glass.

LA and bad jobs? Get real, son. Also people in LA have something that most young people in NYC don't -- a savings account.

And filled to the brim with illegals? I can just smell the douchey liberal NYC elitism from here.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:51 PM

118 posts, read 160,772 times
Quote:
I don't think you get it. That so-called NYC dream you mentioned is beyond pathetic by most standards. Brunching all day? I'd rather chew broken glass.
Quite frankly, I don't care about your personal dream. I'm talking about people in general.

Quote:
LA and bad jobs? Get real, son.
Los Angeles tops Detroit and Cleveland and goes 23rd straight year without job growth - Business Journal

Los Angeles Faces Decline as Employers Flee City - Bloomberg Business

Quote:
Los Angeles has just three Fortune 500 companies left in the city, a problem the commission blamed partly on “red tape and overlapping bureaucracies.” Three decades ago, the city had 12 Fortune 500 headquarters. During the same period, New York City increased its count to a record 58.

Last edited by Louis XVI; 06-06-2014 at 01:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City