Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 11:40 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,706,319 times

Advertisements

What are some cities that CvC often hold in high regard but are in reality bad places to live? I would say NYC. Most CDers give NYC a romanticized appearance that are depicted on Friends and Seinfeld. What they don't mention is how NYC is one of the most segregated cities in the country in terms of wealth and race. NYC has an overreaching police force that disproportionately target black and Hispanic men. There are 22,000 homeless children in the city alone. Now why is NYC always defended on CvC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 11:51 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,151,021 times
No city is a good place to be poor and/or homeless. Some are worse than others. I think those are the ones you mean.

Add any expensive, vibrant city to your list that attracts creative professionals:

San Francisco
Seattle
Los Angeles
Boston
DC

All are held in high esteem here on CvC. All are hard on the middle class and poor and can be very difficult places to "make it" for all but the best in their fields. All are also highly desired by those same "best in their fields" as places that feed their industries and reward their achievements.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:53 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,119,531 times
Side note to OP: I don't think NYC is depicted romantically or even well at all via Seinfeld. The way they live in Seinfeld looks awful imo. Even Friends isn't that great.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:02 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,706,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Side note to OP: I don't think NYC is depicted romantically or even well at all via Seinfeld. The way they live in Seinfeld looks awful imo. Even Friends isn't that great.

Fair enough, but a lot of people often associate NYC with what they see on TV, which is skyscrapers and people coming out of yellow cabs to pick up a latte from Starbucks. Most in NYC are not afforded that lifestyle.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:51 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,178,603 times
Wait ... are you telling me that everything on television is not an accurate depiction of reality?

No! Say it isn't so!

Old 06-01-2014, 01:24 AM

13,704 posts, read 22,005,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Are you kidding? Nobody I've ever known who lived in NYC had apartments that big or that nice. Friends, especially, was very unrealistic. Seinfeld was total farce, of course, but even so -- apartments like the one Jerry lived in are rare.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:27 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,119,531 times
Talking about their lives in NYC..

Old 06-01-2014, 04:09 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,903,332 times
This thread is pretty funny since most people who post on this forum probably live in auto-oriented, suburban style housing. I bet most posters on this forum rely on their car to go grocery shopping, to commute to work, or even just to go out to meet with friends.

So I wouldn't really rely on anyone who criticizes urban places, such as SF or NYC, unless they have actually lived there, especially from some suburban outsider. Now that I'm living a car-free lifestyle in an urban neighborhood, I don't think I'll ever go back to the suburbs again. I'd drop dead with boredom.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:05 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,614,145 times
San Francisco

Old 06-01-2014, 10:09 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,151,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
This thread is pretty funny since most people who post on this forum probably live in auto-oriented, suburban style housing. I bet most posters on this forum rely on their car to go grocery shopping, to commute to work, or even just to go out to meet with friends.

So I wouldn't really rely on anyone who criticizes urban places, such as SF or NYC, unless they have actually lived there, especially from some suburban outsider. Now that I'm living a car-free lifestyle in an urban neighborhood, I don't think I'll ever go back to the suburbs again. I'd drop dead with boredom.
+1. There are over 80 apartments in my building and only 10 parking spaces. I do have a car, but purely as a luxury for weekend road trips, etc.

It's hard to imagine going back to the "good life" in Houston, where my commute was 48 miles round trip (reverse commute, but still) and my house was 3x as big. I didn't know it at the time, but I was miserable there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City