Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 01:05 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Well the core of Dallas is way better than Phoenix. I've been to Phoenix and prefer Dallas proper by a wide margin over Phoenix proper. However, the suburbs around Dallas are about as conservative as it gets, and there's just not much to offer a single person. The Dallas burbs are great if you have a family or like to go to church, but that's it.
I think this is where the disconnect is occurring.

Although I prefer Phoenix to Dallas, I'll admit that there's no equivalent to Dallas' Uptown neighborhood in Phoenix proper, esp. if it's urban living you're after. However, Phoenix suburbs *blow* Dallas suburbs out-of the water--less socially-conservative, less religious, better dining/nightlife, prettier scenery, more manicured/well-coiffed, etc. Dallas suburbs are fairly clean, but compared to Phoenix 'burbs, there's less of a *wow* factor, IMO--less street landscaping, mostly concrete roads, ugly housing styles, less new-looking, just more bland-looking overall.

Also, keep in mind that traffic in DFW is *much* worse than traffic in Phoenix. People, esp. young professionals, seem to commute longer distances in Dallas, too. OTOH, lots of corporate offices, office parks, etc. are located in the hip, trendier areas of Phoenix such as Tempe, Old Town, and Kierland/North Scottsdale, where most young professionals live.

Oh, and don't forget--Dallas has toll roads, too, meaning that urban living in Uptown can get pretty darn expensive after a while if you have to commute via the Tollway to your company's office in Plano every morning or if you live in Plano or Frisco and work Downtown. OTOH, the are no toll roads in Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 01:24 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
However, Phoenix suburbs *blow* Dallas suburbs out-of the water--less socially-conservative, less religious, better dining/nightlife, prettier scenery, more manicured/well-coiffed, etc. Dallas suburbs are fairly clean, but compared to Phoenix 'burbs, there's less of a *wow* factor, IMO--less street landscaping, mostly concrete roads, ugly housing styles, less new-looking, just more bland-looking overall.
Better nightlife perhaps since Scottsdale is a suburb of Phoenix.

Better dining? Absolutely not. There is no where in the Phoenix suburbs that you can get the variety of different types of foods that you can get in the suburbs to the North of Dallas. Nowhere.

Where in the Phoenix area can I get food from Zimbabwe, Ethiopia, China (Sichwanese and Cantonese specifically), Korea, Vietnam, Germany, Mexico, Austria, Poland, Lebanon, India, etc. in a five mile radius? If you use Coit and George Bush as a reference point, you can in the suburbs North of Dallas.

The overall multiculturalism in the Dallas area puts Phoenix in a much less pretty light.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:39 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
When I was first reading this thread, Dallas looked to be the winner but then when it got told that it was a super conservative more provincial (less transplant oriented place), then I probably wouldn't like it either and the outskirts seem suburban and bland like Sacramento suburbs, but Phoenix also wouldn't be the answer for me. I'd opt for Tampa Bay FL in the end.
Tampa Bay has nothing to brag about when it comes to suburbs.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Better nightlife perhaps since Scottsdale is a suburb of Phoenix.

Better dining? Absolutely not. There is no where in the Phoenix suburbs that you can get the variety of different types of foods that you can get in the suburbs to the North of Dallas. Nowhere.

Where in the Phoenix area can I get food from Zimbabwe, Ethiopia, China (Sichwanese and Cantonese specifically), Korea, Vietnam, Germany, Mexico, Austria, Poland, Lebanon, India, etc. in a five mile radius? If you use Coit and George Bush as a reference point, you can in the suburbs North of Dallas.

The overall multiculturalism in the Dallas area puts Phoenix in a much less pretty light.
I found this to be one of the reasons why people in Dallas are so much heavier than people in Phoenix--they tend to eat out *a lot* and don't really cook much. And like most Texans, Dallas people also seem to have a strong preference for red meat among other unhealthy foods as well as large meal portions. The produce sucks in Dallas, too.

Phoenix has some of the finest produce and farmers markets in the country, and people here have a tendency to shop/cook/eat healthily and organically, similar to the West Coast. There are also more CSA initiatives in Phoenix, too. All of this plus a fitter, more active population help make Phoenix and its suburbs much healthier overall than Dallas and its suburbs. Restaurants/dining out are less important to healthy/fit people.

Also, there's less to do in Dallas than Phoenix, so dining out is more of a pastime there.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I found this to be one of the reasons why people in Dallas are so much heavier than people in Phoenix--they tend to eat out *a lot* and don't really cook much. And like most Texans, Dallas people also seem to have a strong preference for red meat among other unhealthy foods as well as large meal portions. The produce sucks in Dallas, too.

Phoenix has some of the finest produce and farmers markets in the country, and people here have a tendency to shop/cook/eat healthily and organically, similar to the West Coast. There are also more CSA initiatives in Phoenix, too. All of this plus a fitter, more active population help make Phoenix and its suburbs much healthier overall than Dallas and its suburbs. Restaurants/dining out are less important to healthy/fit people.

Also, there's less to do in Dallas than Phoenix, so dining out is more of a pastime there.
You made the statement that dining in the Phoenix suburbs was better than the dining in the Dallas suburbs. I told you why I thought it wasnt. If you want to tell me why you think it is, go for it.

All you did in the post above was say "well people in Dallas are fat".

Id be happy to hear a case for why you think the food is better in the Phoenix area, but Ill say one thing: variety of types of food isnt going to be one thing that Phoenix has over Dallas. Dallas blows Phoenix out of the water in that regard.

Also, less to do is debatable. There is definately less to do outdoors in Dallas vs. Phoenix. But there are a lot more urban ammenities in Dallas.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:15 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
No matter how people are going to argue it, from a layman stand point the two cities are really not that different. Outside of the Dallas core being ahead of Phoenix, and if that matters take that into consideration. You all can argue till the cows come home over which city has better amenities, culture, nightlife, dining what have you. But that stuff isn't really quantifiable. All i'm hearing is opinionated ammunition devout homers use to try and sell their city. You can never scientifically prove you are right in those arguments. They get beat to death and never end.

At the end of the day both cities are newer, both cities a feeling of affluence to them, both cities offer quite a bit to the average Joe, and even the above average Joe. Both cities have incredible air service ( I get it Dallas homers DFW is busier) but the level of passenger and flight traffic both airports are at, you're just splitting hairs in a pissing contest.

If you're choosing between Dallas and Phoenix it comes down to what you want. You'll find your biggest difference from a topographical stand point. Does scenery matter? Does a more humid climate matter? Even economically Dallas' economy is on fire, It's Texan. But to say that you can't somehow get a good job in PHX is downright misleading. Dallas has a Texas feel, Phoenix has more of a SoCal feel. They are separted by mountains and so goes the culture of the two cities. So if someone is choosing to move, what motivates them?

Old 06-05-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
No matter how people are going to argue it, from a layman stand point the two cities are really not that different. Outside of the Dallas core being ahead of Phoenix, and if that matters take that into consideration. You all can argue till the cows come home over which city has better amenities, culture, nightlife, dining what have you. But that stuff isn't really quantifiable. All i'm hearing is opinionated ammunition devout homers use to try and sell their city. You can never scientifically prove you are right in those arguments. They get beat to death and never end.

At the end of the day both cities are newer, both cities a feeling of affluence to them, both cities offer quite a bit to the average Joe, and even the above average Joe. Both cities have incredible air service ( I get it Dallas homers DFW is busier) but the level of passenger and flight traffic both airports are at, you're just splitting hairs in a pissing contest.

If you're choosing between Dallas and Phoenix it comes down to what you want. You'll find your biggest difference from a topographical stand point. Does scenery matter? Does a more humid climate matter? Even economically Dallas' economy is on fire, It's Texan. But to say that you can't somehow get a good job in PHX is downright misleading. Dallas has a Texas feel, Phoenix has more of a SoCal feel. They are separted by mountains and so goes the culture of the two cities. So if someone is choosing to move, what motivates them?
I agree fully with your post except for the bolded part. They both have very extensive domestic service, but DFW has a far larger international portfolio.

There are 13 international carriers here vs. 4 in Phoenix. DFW has extensive service in Latin American where as PHX really only does in Mexico. DFW has service to seven destinations in South America, PHX has none. DFW has service 4 cities in Asia, PHX has none. DFW has service to two (getting ready to be three) cities in the Middle East, PHX has none. DFW has service to 5 cities in Europe, PHX has one.

I do also hold to the point I was making about ethnic food variety being superior in Dallas. I do agree with the other parts about nightlife, day to day living, etc.

So I do agree with 90% of what youre saying, but I do take issue with the air service part.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:57 PM

At the end of the day, Phoenix 'burbs offer more for singles over the age of 40. Also, Phoenix has warmer, sunnier, drier winter weather than Dallas in addition to much less volatile weather overall. In the OP's case, she would be much better served by moving to Phoenix or one of its surrounding suburbs instead of the DFW area.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
At the end of the day, Phoenix 'burbs offer more for singles over the age of 40. Also, Phoenix has warmer, sunnier, drier winter weather than Dallas in addition to much less volatile weather overall. In the OP's case, she would be much better served by moving to Phoenix or one of its surrounding suburbs instead of the DFW area.
Thats subjective. Scottsdale and Plano (Shops at Legacy Area) offer a lot for singles over 40. Not a huge difference.

By the way, Im still waiting on you to present your case for the "Phoenix has better food" arguement. What is the arguement? Ive eaten in both cities and the suburbs of both many, many times and its not even close in my opinion (being DFW is far superior food wise). But I want to hear the other side. You made the claim, back it up.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Thats subjective. Scottsdale and Plano (Shops at Legacy Area) offer a lot for singles over 40. Not a huge difference.

By the way, Im still waiting on you to present your case for the "Phoenix has better food" arguement. What is the arguement? Ive eaten in both cities and the suburbs of both many, many times and its not even close in my opinion (being DFW is far superior food wise). But I want to hear the other side. You made the claim, back it up.
Sorry, but I don't eat African food, so I wouldn't know if there are any decent African restaurants in and around Phoenix. However, all other types of restaurants--Mexican, Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, and even Cuban--can be found in the Phoenix area.

Last edited by JMT; 06-05-2014 at 06:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City