Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 09:56 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
As a 30 year old gay guy myself, I would never live in a red state, ever. I'm spoiled from living in blue states that have gay marriage (and I'm single) all my life. Even though I'm single and not actively looking to get married, I still prefer to live in a state that has politics that reflect the overall attitudes and values of the population at large. Living in a gay friendly area surrounded by vast miles and miles of anti-gay suburbia and country would make me feel like I'm living in a bubble and I don't like that. I want to be able to go out into the country and STILL feel accepted. Fortunately, I can do that here in New England, where gays are fully integrated in both urban and rural areas all over. That's they way it should be.

The only reasons why places like Atlanta, Dallas and Houston have large gay populations is because, well....those are already huge cities to begin with. In general, the more populated an area is, the more gays there will be in the area. Same goes for straight people.

Personally, I prefer masculine non-scene gay men, which are commonly found in less populated metro areas. I have lived in NYC for a couple years and found that more of the gay men there were rather metrosexual and "gay cultured," which I don't like. Masculine, "normal" gay men are not flocking to big cities for the gay life, for the most part. They just carry on with their own lives wherever they live, because being gay is just a part of who they are and it doesn't dictate where they should live.

Even in a large gay city, after a year or two, you're going to see the same faces over and over again. Everyone has the same idea and wants to go to the hottest bars at the same times. As for the online/Grindr scene, you're going to see mostly the same guys over and over again. And big cities are tougher and more competitive in general, when it comes to dating. Everyone seems to have the "wait for the next best thing" attitude. So, it didn't work out for me.

One last point I want to make is that big cities have very transient populations. If you make a nice circle of gay friends, expect half of them to move out of the city within a year or two. I had many friends when I lived in NYC from 2006-2008, but now, only about 2-3 of them remain.

I respect your preference and all that but let me correct you on something. The Atlanta gay population is made up of many transplants from.NY DC PHilly chicago california and many other parts of the south. They just dont have gay populations because there big. Its rare you will find a native gay guy from Atlanta. My home state of FL is a blue state and you sure as hell cant get married there.

Atlanta is a very liberal city when it comes to Gays.

Last edited by Staysean23; 06-11-2014 at 10:26 AM..

Old 06-11-2014, 10:20 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
I respect your preference and all that but let me correct you on something. The Atlanta gay population is made up of many transplants from.NY DC PHilly chicago california and many other parts of the south. They just dont have gay populations because there big. Its rare you will find a native gay guy from Atlanta. My home state of FL is a blue state and you shure as hell cant get married there.
Florida is a blue state? Purple at best it seems to me.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:27 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Well its been blue the last 2 elections . As of today its Blue

Old 06-11-2014, 10:27 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Its a purple state that is governed like a deep red state due to its highly gerrymandered legislative districts.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Well its been blue the last 2 elections . As of today its Blue
Rick Scott? He is a complete jackass Teabagger.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:48 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
I respect your preference and all that but let me correct you on something. The Atlanta gay population is made up of many transplants from.NY DC PHilly chicago california and many other parts of the south. They just dont have gay populations because there big. Its rare you will find a native gay guy from Atlanta. My home state of FL is a blue state and you sure as hell cant get married there.

Atlanta is a very liberal city when it comes to Gays.
Maybe Atlanta proper, but Atlanta's entire metro population is 80% suburban. Suburban whites, especially in the Atlanta area, are not as welcoming of gays into their area. Hell, there is a public school system in an Atlanta suburb that actively teaches "Intelligent Design" in their schools but refuses to teach "Theory of Evolution". That should tell you how regressive metro Atlanta is.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:50 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Its a purple state that is governed like a deep red state due to its highly gerrymandered legislative districts.
This is very true. Florida is probably one of the most divided states in our country, yet because it's traditionally been a southern sate the GOP still has a stranglehold on the state government and power. Florida won't be a purple state for too much longer, Texas and North Carolina will be next.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Maybe Atlanta proper, but Atlanta's entire metro population is 80% suburban. Suburban whites, especially in the Atlanta area, are not as welcoming of gays into their area. Hell, there is a public school system in an Atlanta suburb that actively teaches "Intelligent Design" in their schools but refuses to teach "Theory of Evolution". That should tell you how regressive metro Atlanta is.
Is that really true?

Old 06-11-2014, 12:01 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Is that really true?
I wouldn't doubt it - this is a fact in some states like Texas, Kansas, etc.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I wouldn't doubt it - this is a fact in some states like Texas, Kansas, etc.
Wow, this country is really screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City