Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 07:22 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,978,604 times

Advertisements

What is stopping people from viewing Honolulu and San Juan as legitimate places to live in the United States?

Is it the culture? The job opportunities? The isolation? The climate?

If all things were equal, would you live in either? If so, why or why not. Just for clarification, I am talking about the San Juan in Puerto Rico and the Honolulu in Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 07:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,551,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
What is stopping people from viewing Honolulu and San Juan as legitimate places to live in the United States?
Do people not view Honolulu as a legitimate place to live? You're taking the premise as a given, which isn't obvious. Honolulu sometimes gets neglected forgotten in city comparisons perhaps only because it's so disconnected from the rest of the country.

San Juan? Puerto Rico is much poorer than anywhere other state, median income is about half of Mississippi. Its native language isn't English and isn't a state.

1,291 posts, read 1,525,316 times
I would for about a year or two. It'd be nice to be disconnected from the world like that but then I'd wanna go back home... I'd get homesick

1,537 posts, read 1,915,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post

Is it the culture? The job opportunities? The isolation? The climate?

If all things were equal, would you live in either? If so, why or why not. Just for clarification, I am talking about the San Juan in Puerto Rico and the Honolulu in Hawaii.
My guess with Honolulu is the cost is an issue and from what I've heard it's a bit boring compared to other cities. Not sure how true that is or not.

I don't think many people even think about San Juan so it never becomes an option. I've heard it has crime issues. Others have said it's not that bad. It can be a bit difficult to find info on it so...

But depending on how the cards fall I may be living in PR in a few years.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:41 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,978,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Do people not view Honolulu as a legitimate place to live? You're taking the premise as a given, which isn't obvious. Honolulu sometimes gets neglected forgotten in city comparisons perhaps only because it's so disconnected from the rest of the country.

San Juan? Puerto Rico is much poorer than anywhere other state, median income is about half of Mississippi. Its native language isn't English and isn't a state.
Well people validate their desires with their feet and I am not really seeing a great deal of migration exchange between Honolulu and mainland United States. It is a very costly place and isolated too, culturally different, and unfortunately I feel like that to most people is a hindrance.

Not that it bothers Hawaiians, they're the least "pro-growth" people there are in the United States.

Yes, but Puerto Rico offers a different take than Honolulu. I included it because it offers a contrast for those that may not like certain things about Honolulu and can put up with more (less expensive but more dangerous).

Old 04-26-2015, 07:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,551,628 times
26% of Hawaiians were born in another state; lower than most western states but not that low. Especially considering how far away it is.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...2&abg=1#Hawaii

Old 04-26-2015, 07:47 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,824,082 times
Honolulu is a unique city and packs quite a punch considering its small population. I think the reason it is unpopular is its expensive and isolated. It's a place Americans love to visit but few dream of living. I have also heard that living in Hawaii is awesome for your first year but after a while the isolation wears on you.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:08 PM

8,638 posts, read 10,167,253 times
If it was more affordable (Honolulu), I would jump at the chance to live there and try it out for awhile. Having been there quite a few times, I've never been disappointed, but I know that visiting and living somewhere can be two different animals. I've been to San Juan a couple of times and enjoyed that as well. The beaches were beautiful and I really liked the downtown architecture, but it did seem a tad too humid for me.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:48 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,396,659 times
Living in Honolulu is expensive and high paying jobs to make the costs comfortable are not in abundance. Plus, Honolulu is kind of overpopulated. The Big Island and Maui are becoming more popular because of it.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:54 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,915,206 times
Another reason people might not consider PR is because they wouldn't feel comfortable around so many people who speak Spanish (even though I'm told enough people speak English so that you can get by).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City